So a player in my group asks if he can reskin a weapon to fit his character...

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
And really, why not? I see nothing wrong with it. Other than the difference between ranged and melee and reach weapons, I don`t really see the weapon stats being that clear on why they are like they are... Why can`t the stats for a sword be used for an axe or the other way around? In my opinion, a good dagger could just as easily have a 1d8 damage in the hands of a skilled user, and why shouldn`t an axpert flail fighter have a +3 prof.bonus with a flail?.. Why couldn`t one battle-axe be a +2 prof and 1d12 dmg another battleaxe be prof +3 and 1d8 dmg?
Maby weapn stats should be divided into the quality of the weapon and not the type of the weapon?
The same thing goes for armor really, why can`t a Paladin of Melora or any other nature god have a hide armor with the same stats as a plate mail, or a rouge have a home-made plate and chain armor with the same stats as a leather armor?

Any thoughts on this?

Added: I know some powers only work with certain types of weapons, but that seems easy enough to adjust, and the books do encourage you to reflavour the powers if you want to..
My thoughts: If the weapon stats remain the same, it can look like whatever you want. As you mentioned, though, there's a certain logical limit, but still plenty of wiggle room.

So a longsword can become a katana, easily. A glaive can become a 'whip sword'.

When it comes to reflavoring, all I expect is that my players think of some reason to justify the change. It doesn't have to be a particularly good reason, just so long as they prove they've put a little thought into it. (Which is mostly just a formality, but I want to encourage my players to think.)
Gunmage, a homebrew arcane striker. (Heroic Tier playtest ready.) GDocs link. (More up to date.)
And really, why not?

Absolutely no reason.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Personally i have no problem with weapon reflavoring as long as it has no mechanical impact whatsoever. You can reflavor your dagger as a scimitar but it wouldn't count as a heavy blade nor would it qualify for Scimitar Dance for exemple. 

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Personally i have no problem with weapon reflavoring as long as it has no mechanical impact whatsoever. You can reflavor your dagger as a scimitar but it wouldn't count as a heavy blade nor would it qualify for Scimitar Dance for exemple. 

I was thinking that too. But when I think about it now, changing the damage die of a simple weapon can`t hurt that much. If I give a dagger a 1d8 dmg, that won`t do anything to the balance would it? At least if instead of giving the character a magic item, I give him a very balanced and very well made, but in game mundane weapon that happens to be a +1 or +2 weapon with a higher dmg die...
Ok, I know that was a bit off topic, as I was talking about changing the mechanics and not the fluff, but it is kind of the same thing when it comes weapons I think, since the mechanics are a bit loose and don`t really have a reason for being like they are. 
If I give a dagger a 1d8 dmg, that won`t do anything to the balance would it?

It would if you were say, a rogue that wanted to use it for sneak attacks.

If I give a dagger a 1d8 dmg, that won`t do anything to the balance would it?

It would if you were say, a rogue that wanted to use it for sneak attacks.

Would it really? The chance of hitting 4 points more for damage? There are a lot of magic weapons with a lot more going on than that!

Would it really?

It would affect balance, but it would not really affect balance.

Balance shmalance!
Would it really? The chance of hitting 4 points more for damage?

1-4 more damage per [w] can add up quickly. And then there is the Daggermaster Path that grants crits on an 18 -- "up to 4 per [W]" becomes "4 per [w]".

• Turning a "dagger" into Xena's chakram is fine. It still is treated as (and counts as) a dagger for all purposes mechanically.

• Letting a rogue use a club as his dagger is fine. It still is treated as (and counts as) a dagger for all purposes mechanically.

• Letting a rogue use a longsword instead of a dagger, gaining all the benefits of using a dagger with all the mechanics of a longsword, however, is a big deal. Algthough only 1-4 hit points per [w], those add up.

Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
F.Y.I. You're no longer reskinning if you are changing the attributes of the item. Reskinning means only changing the looks of something, what you are describing is retooling which as a DM you are well within your rights to do or allow. I would however ask you to keep this in mind when allowing 1 player to let his "dagger" do 1d8 dmg, what are you going to do when your next player wants his "longsword" to do 1d12 dmg. You may sing a different tune about "reskinning" when your monsters are dropping like flies.
F.Y.I. You're no longer reskinning if you are changing the attributes of the item. Reskinning means only changing the looks of something, what you are describing is retooling which as a DM you are well within your rights to do or allow. I would however ask you to keep this in mind when allowing 1 player to let his "dagger" do 1d8 dmg, what are you going to do when your next player wants his "longsword" to do 1d12 dmg. You may sing a different tune about "reskinning" when your monsters are dropping like flies.

Yes, I said so. I also said I could give the dagger a 1d8 dmg and make it a +1 weapon, a lot of magic items have better properties than that, or even powers. I have no problem making monsters hard enough or encounters dangerous enough.
1-4 more damage per [w] can add up quickly. And then there is the Daggermaster Path that grants crits on an 18 -- "up to 4 per [W]" becomes "4 per [w]".

Turning a "dagger" into Xena's chakram is fine. It still is treated as (and counts as) a dagger for all purposes mechanically.
Letting a rogue use a club as his dagger is fine. It still is treated as (and counts as) a dagger for all purposes mechanically.
Letting a rogue use a longsword instead of a dagger, gaining all the benefits of using a dagger with all the mechanics of a longsword, however, is a big deal. Algthough only 1-4 hit points per [w], those add up.

I agree with all of this.

Furthermore, I take a look at CharOps on occasion, where many builds will flat out say a rogue should spend a feat to gain rapier proficiency, just for that upgrade from 1d4 to 1d8. If it's worth spending a feat, it must be a pretty big deal.

And as far as magic equipment goes: If you're using those magic items, you aren't using other magic items.

Which is why I say "Oh, you want to reflavor your rapier into a longsword? That's fine, though it still won't have Versatile and it's still a light blade. Want to reflavor your fullblade into a longsword? That's fine, but it still takes up two hands, even if you fluff it as swinging one handed."

Heck, I'd let a player flavor text their attacks as swinging a fullblade one-handed, just so long as they accepted that they can't stick a shield in their off-hand or the like.
Gunmage, a homebrew arcane striker. (Heroic Tier playtest ready.) GDocs link. (More up to date.)
So long as you actually just change the fluff, and not the mechanics, you'll be fine.

Actually, scratch that. If you just keep in mind that trying things is fine, because you can change it or take it back if it doesn't work, you'll be fine.
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.

Furthermore, I take a look at CharOps on occasion, where many builds will flat out say a rogue should spend a feat to gain rapier proficiency, just for that upgrade from 1d4 to 1d8. If it's worth spending a feat, it must be a pretty big deal.

No CharOp builds say you should spend a feat for rapier proficiency, at least not any build that has been made in the past 2 years, since you can gain it from a Background. Even ignoring that being the case, a Rapier is only suggested for a Rogue when it's either the Thief sub-class or a gimmick Hybrid that's only using Rogue for feats, PPs, and/or utility; this is because a Rogue (Scoundrel) only gets +1 Hit with Daggers, while the Rogue (Thief) gets it with all Light Blades. Rapier is worth a feat for the Charging Thief because it's a +4 damage per hit gain (with Surprising Charge) with no loss, and is not worth a feat for the Brutal Scoundrel because a +2 damage per hit gain is not worth -1 to hit.

Actually, "worth a feat" is the wrong phrase, the right phrase would be "absolutely necessary" because Thiefs are bad strikers and need all the help they can get.

I absolutely agree with most everyone that there's a difference between refluffing and retooling an item, and it's generally important enough to not mess with. However, it's worth noting that Rogues are kinda bad Strikers, and increasing their damage by +2 per [W] is not going to break the game in the slightest.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.