Dungeon Design Software?

I have just finished writing my first adventure for D&D Next, but now I can't seem to find a good map design software that I can use to create digital versions of the maps. I have tried DunDjinni, Ye Olde Map Maker, and quite a few others without success. Does anyone know of a good software?

It would need to fulfill the following conditions:

*Mac compatible
*Can design large, somewhat detailed maps (coffins, altars, chests, etc.)
*Can be saved as a PDF
*Creates DM maps, NOT just 1-inch grid combat maps (changeable scale would be good)

Thanks!

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test

Campaign cartographer run through Boot Camp.
Honestly.... Photoshop with a lot of *.PNG assets and artistic skill. Everything else will fall short. I'd be suprised if not.

agreed.

photoshop has a learning curve like a brick wall, but it's infinitely powerful when it comes to map making. 

you can make really impressive maps with only a few dozen hours of investment. 
Honestly.... Photoshop with a lot of *.PNG assets and artistic skill. Everything else will fall short. I'd be suprised if not.

I say try Pixelmator first. Do the free trial, and if you like it it's $30. ($15 for now? Not sure if that's a sale or not.) I have mixed feelings with both Pixelmator and Photoshop, but for advising new people on Mac I say Pixelmator cuz of the price difference and it's more Mac-ish/cleaner.

www.pixelmator.com
Dundjinni is still a great program, and comes in a Mac version.  Anything can print to PDF as long as you have PDF software installed.  In my experience very few software packages of any sort add this functionality natively.

Kalex the Omen 
Dungeonmaster Extraordinaire

OSR Fan? Our Big Announcement™ is here!

Please join our forums!

Concerning Player Rules Bias
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Gaining victory through rules bias is a hollow victory and they know it.
Concerning "Default" Rules
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
The argument goes, that some idiot at the table might claim that because there is a "default" that is the only true way to play D&D. An idiotic misconception that should be quite easy to disprove just by reading the rules, coming to these forums, or sending a quick note off to Customer Support and sharing the inevitable response with the group. BTW, I'm not just talking about Next when I say this. Of course, D&D has always been this way since at least the late 70's when I began playing.

@Kalex I tried the Dundjinni free trial, and my Mac just said that PowerPC apps are no longer supported. Is the full version different? If it is, then Dundjinni looks like it would work well. 
@Kalex I tried the Dundjinni free trial, and my Mac just said that PowerPC apps are no longer supported. Is the full version different? If it is, then Dundjinni looks like it would work well. 

Hmmm, honestly I don't know.  I am a PC guy, but I was always aware there was a Mac version of Dundjinni.  The boards over there aren't as vital as they once were, but there is still activity.  Maybe an inquiry there would be helpful.  I'm fairly certain there are still Moderators active that could answer.

Kalex the Omen 
Dungeonmaster Extraordinaire

OSR Fan? Our Big Announcement™ is here!

Please join our forums!

Concerning Player Rules Bias
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Gaining victory through rules bias is a hollow victory and they know it.
Concerning "Default" Rules
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
The argument goes, that some idiot at the table might claim that because there is a "default" that is the only true way to play D&D. An idiotic misconception that should be quite easy to disprove just by reading the rules, coming to these forums, or sending a quick note off to Customer Support and sharing the inevitable response with the group. BTW, I'm not just talking about Next when I say this. Of course, D&D has always been this way since at least the late 70's when I began playing.

No, you cannot use it. OSX lion and up do not support powerPC applications (Which includes a handful of older games and applications). You would have to convert the windows version using WINE or some such, or run it through bootcamp. I own a macbook and I know how lame it is to hear every other person say "Use through boot camp"

Nothing wrong with bootcamp, but maybe I don't want to install a copy of windows just to make maps XD

That being said, maptool isnt bad for making maps, though I don't know how good it is at reproducing them physically.
My two copper.
Chris Perkins has several articles in his excellent Dungeon Mater Experience series concerning map making. The first is most relevant, but the other two may be useful or interesting.

Big Map Attack

Maptisim

Map Fu

@Jenks thanks for the clarification!