Is Rest in Peace the best card in Standard right now?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I kept on getting beaten soundly by largely identical reanimator decks. And, Zombies are a pain to play against. And Runechanter's Pike has killed me far too many times...

So, starting yesterday, I am mainboarding three Rest in Peace. Sure, it takes up lots of space in my deck, but it complete confounds all sorts of other decks. 

Re-animator decks hate it. Zombie decks hate it. Decks with any undying creatures hate it. Decks which use Rancor hate it, because it sends Rancor into exile instead of back to the player's hand. Even control decks hate it, because they can't flashback their spells with or without Snappy. Just yesterday an opponent ultimated Tamiyo, the Moon Sage, but it was meaningless because of my Rest in Peace. (It would have been cooler had they not still won the game...Frown)

I only had a few of my own spells that had flashback, like Lingering Souls, and once I found alternatives there is basically no downside for me, but massive downside for more than half of my MTGO opponents. 

I don't know whether this is just a characteristic of the current metagame, though, since I've only been playing for a few months.

Anybody else?

I don't know if it is the best card, but if it works in your local metagame, then by all means, maindeck it. 

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
I enjoy using Rakdos Charm.  You don't need it (or probably even want it) in your opening hand, and not many people are expecting it.

Tormod's Crypt is also a solid card to use against a graveyard-abusing opponent.

I am tempted to use Ground Seal in my zombie deck just so I can't be hit with all of the Deathrite Shamans running rampant at my LGS.

Grafdigger's Cage is probably the card you want to use, though.  Not many people are using artifact removal right now, and unless the zombie player has some Abrupt Decay handy, their Golgari Charm isn't going to remove the cage like it would Rest in Peace.

EDIT:  Use Grafdigger's Cage against zombie players, and use Tormod's Crypt against control players, since it can dodge a Detention Sphere.
What would help us better is to know what kind of deck you are running.
It's a good sideboard card to stop undying, death triggers, and other graveyard shenanigans. But it's still a sideboard card.

But as mentioined Tormod's Crypt and Grafdigger's Cage are better, and since we're talking about sideboard, you can include them both.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
What would help us better is to know what kind of deck you are running.

I run all sorts of decks, and they all have a hard time with reanimator and flash. Thanks for those recommendations, though!