Announcing Duels 2013: Deck Pack 3

50 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello and happy holidays!

A lot of you have been asking for earlier announcements concerning new and upcoming Duels content, and so with that in mind I'm deliriously pleased to announce Deck Pack 3 for Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013!

As with the other deck packs, this will include two new decks with 30 card unlocks each:

Rogues' Gallery
Manipulate and infiltrate with the blue and black “Rogues’ Gallery” deck. Disrupt your enemies’ plans with spells, then summon stealthy mages and shadowy undead to deliver the killing blows. 

Mana Mastery
Wield all five colors of magic with the “Mana Mastery” deck. A pentacolor array of spells will help you keep the battlefield clear while you set the stage for towering, indomitable creatures!

Here are the release dates:

• 1/8/13 - PSN (US)

• 1/9/13 - Steam, Xbox, & PSN (Europe)

• 1/10/13 - iPad

Expect a preview tomorrow courtesy of Top Tier Tactics, along with the full card lists for both decks (though many of you may have already seen Rogues' Gallery). I personally can't wait to play using both of them. Dimir is one of my favorite Ravnica guilds but Mana Mastery is... well... a little crazy. It's hard to pick a favorite.

One last piece of news (and also a result of community feedback). I know many of you on have wanted immediate access to purchase full deck unlocks and foil conversions on release day. I'm happy to report that they will be available on the dates listed above for each platform. 

EDIT: Top Tier Tactics' preview article with full deck lists is up, and can be found HERE.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Pssst, I sent you a PM. :p Happy Hobbit-days.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Woah, the first announcement is coming from Wizards this time. Nice.

One last piece of news (and also a result of community feedback). I know many of you on have wanted immediate access to purchase full deck unlocks and foil conversions on release day. I'm happy to report that they will be available on the dates listed above for each platform. 

I'm not one of those people, but it is nice to see some community support.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

Awesome!  I was hoping it would be the 2nd...but I can understand why it isn't, lol.  Looking forward to trying the new decks!

I agree with mega, I am also not one of those people, but I can understand why they are being released same day.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

Can't wait to see the Mana Mastery deck! Hope we see cards like [C]Child of Alara[/C] or [C]Conflux[/C].

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

great - nice with the earlier info.

very excited about mana mastery, will be very interesting to see if it can be consistent in producing the right colors.

Lot of response to feedback this iteration.

Can I get an in-game pony?? 

Mana Mastery
Wield all five colors of magic with the “Mana Mastery” deck. A pentacolor array of spells will help you keep the battlefield clear while you set the stage for towering, indomitable creatures!

Progenitus must definitely be there. I wonder if there are some colorless cards as well, may be Darksteel Colossus. Door to Nothingness or Coalition Victory would be interesting win conditions.
I hope Progenitus isn't in there. Most decks have no way of dealing with it. Probably useless in a duel anyhow - even with ramp, turn 6 or 7 would likely be the earliest - but it would be a giant pain in 2HG. You basically couldn't play without ensuring you or your partner had a way of dealing with a possible Proggy.

If PK had a Dispense Justice or two, or Red had, well, anything (aside from MS's Insurrection), I'd be more supportive. I mean, he's cool, but... 

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

If you manage to cast progenitus with DOTP's track history of manabases you deserve to win
If you manage to cast progenitus with DOTP's track history of manabases you deserve to win

I agree!
The mana cost of that thing is ridiculous, and you definitely deserve to win if you cast it from your hand.

Coupled with Natural Order it is a tad cheesy though, so let's not hope that happens.

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Nice!
Thanks for the announce. Sean.
Happy to see unlocks are going to be available for PS3 the same day.
Major convenience.
I know many like to learn the cut by unlocking, but I am in the camp of having a full deck, looking at all, coming up with a game plan and then seeing which cuts/adds achieve that.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

They should include Elvish Piper + Progenitus. It's a lot more fair than Natural Order.
Not hopeful about either of these decks being any good at all, but I'm interested to see the 5 colour deck.
Not hopeful about either of these decks being any good at all, but I'm interested to see the 5 colour deck.

The blue/black deck is going to be the best deck in the game.
No chance. It will be good but has no defence and is weak to sweepers or lots of removal
Thanks for the update Wiz! I am looking forward to playing both of these decks. I'm also really glad the mana mastery deck list hasn't been spoiled yet. I like the suspence Surprised
When dj_btrue enters the forum exile all bad attitudes.
Thanks for the update Wiz! I am looking forward to playing both of these decks. I'm also really glad the mana mastery deck list hasn't been spoiled yet. I like the suspence Surprised

I don't. SPOIL NAOOO!

No chance. It will be good but has no defence and is weak to sweepers or lots of removal

Not to mention the Dimir deck doesn't have sweepers itself.

I hope Progenitus isn't in there. Most decks have no way of dealing with it. Probably useless in a duel anyhow - even with ramp, turn 6 or 7 would likely be the earliest - but it would be a giant pain in 2HG. You basically couldn't play without ensuring you or your partner had a way of dealing with a possible Proggy.

Aggro decks should be able to win before your opponent get's 10 mana. Blue can counter it, and Day of Judgment, Winds of Wrath, Innocent Blood, Damnation, Diabolic Edict, and Consuming Vapors can all remove it, so that's 8 decks that have answers for it. Dimir and Rakdos can make you discard so you never have enough cards to reach 10 mana, goblins, BR, AoW, PK, PI, and ED should be able to win before Progenitus hits the field. I don't see a lone copy of progenitus being unbalanced for the meta, a meta which contains Natural Order, Swords to Plowshares, Pernicious Deed, Demonic Tutor, Reanimate, infinite combos, Berserk, and more.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

Not to mention the Dimir deck doesn't have sweepers itself.

Aggro decks should be able to win before your opponent get's 10 mana. Blue can counter it, and Day of Judgment, Winds of Wrath, Innocent Blood, Damnation, Diabolic Edict, and Consuming Vapors can all remove it, so that's 8 decks that have answers for it. Dimir and Rakdos can make you discard so you never have enough cards to reach 10 mana, goblins, BR, AoW, PK, PI, and ED should be able to win before Progenitus hits the field. I don't see a lone copy of progenitus being unbalanced for the meta, a meta which contains Natural Order, Swords to Plowshares, Pernicious Deed, Demonic Tutor, Reanimate, infinite combos, Berserk, and more.

Yeah, and every one of those answers is a 1 or 2 of in their respective decks, barring counters, and ANY solution is a temporary one, especially if there's any way to fetch Proggy (Fierce Empath, etc.) back out of the library. So yeah, they have about a 50/50 chance of you drawing an answer that can handle him and not drawing him, but not only do you only have a 50/50 chance of drawing an answer, you have to have not used it to kill anything else. If you've made it to ten mana, there's a fair chance you're topdecking. He's not ultimately any worse than Mirror, but he's going to provide the same kinds of unsatisfying/helpless losses if he is in there.

That said, if he is in there, I need to kill someone with him at least once. Just 'cause.

bribery just become even more brutal
What time is Wing giving the deck list tomorrow? Will it be around 3am ET "tonight" or later in the day tomorrow?
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
Isn't this the moment when Wing jumps in and give us some hints about the decks?

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

I thought about getting deck pack 1, but I heard all the badness that the Simic deck was.

Was never interested in pack 2, but this..... THIS deck pack I've been looking forward to since deck pack 2.

Dimir is probably my favorite 2 color combo (although it's not what I typically play). I'm a combo nut, which I hope Mana Mastery turns out to be in some way (I can say, my 2nd deck ever was a 5-color Alara-based deck with Child of Alara, Blood Tyrant, Obelisk of Alara, Inkwell Leviathan and more).
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
I can't help but think that AW's Acidic Slimes are going to have a field day with the Mana Mastery deck. 
Yeah, and every one of those answers is a 1 or 2 of in their respective decks, barring counters, and ANY solution is a temporary one, especially if there's any way to fetch Proggy (Fierce Empath, etc.) back out of the library.

And there will probably only be one Progenitus in the deck. How often is your opponent going to be able to draw and cast it multiple times in one game? My theory is that if you get to draw progenitus, then I get to draw my answer for him, but that's just theorycrafting. And for that matter, Fierce Empath is just speculation at this point. Heck, Progenitus is just speculation. We can worry about how Progenitus would pan out in this meta when/if it actually happens.

Someone else mentioned it, and I'll second it, I want to see Obelisk of Alara.

I am Blue/White

Here is a spoiler: Mana Mastery is absolutely evil. I don't know how often you'll actually get the mana to play some of these things, but half the permanents in the deck basically end the game in one to two turns.  Muahahhahahaha

WiNGSPANTT is the 4th best commentator on YouTube and editor in chief of Top Tier Tactics.

I can't help but think that AW's Acidic Slimes are going to have a field day with the Mana Mastery deck. 

This is an accurate guess.

WiNGSPANTT is the 4th best commentator on YouTube and editor in chief of Top Tier Tactics.

Wing, is there ramp?
Here is a spoiler: Mana Mastery is absolutely evil. I don't know how often you'll actually get the mana to play some of these things, but half the permanents in the deck basically end the game in one to two turns.  Muahahhahahaha

Come on, just say it, Progenitus is in the deck.

Also, what time can we expect the decklist to be posted?

I am Blue/White

Mana Mastery has a good amount of ramp, though fixing will obviously still be a problem. With a decent draw it wouldn't be crazy to say you could get something very, very insidious into play on turn four. Several of the most powerful permanents are tri-color, so as long as you have the forests to fetch what you need, they're not killer.

The curve is steep with a lot of utility spells in the three mana range. There is no way to take them all, so you are going to have to balance colors, costs, and effects carefully. I fully expect some people might slant it heavily towards Jund or Bant etc.

The deck has a LOT of sweepers, including hilarious sweepers, as well as some okay stall options.  

Video preview is going up at midnight with my top 10 picks from each deck. Full decklists going up tomorrow afternoon like last time. Still ironing out some artwork and other details. 

I'm looking forward to the funny mana distribution we'll get. NOT!
I think most lists will end up 3 colour maybe splashing the fourth. It is the deck i am most excited about. If it is playable and has enough variety i am going to host an xbox mana mastery tournament. Where you have to use that deck and can sideboard each round.
Sign me up for that tourney monk. Deck should be fun. Just concerned that cultivate is the only ramp available. Great creatures but one of each colour is tough even though they are 5 drops.
Going the 3-colour route may be a little safer, but I doubt it's worth missing out on the gamewinning 5-colour spells. The reason being that 3 colours can screw you aswell and you'll still need the ramp and fetch cards and most of all, you'll probably end up with a random pile of stuff that happens to require the mana combination you chose. With 40 cards on the sideboard and 2 colours to sort out, there's probably little room for choice.
Looks cool. Will anything else be added to the game after this deck pack or are will done until 2014 next summer?
Looks cool. Will anything else be added to the game after this deck pack or are will done until 2014 next summer?

This game is done and dusted till Magic 2014, sad but true, i don't like any of the new 6 decks, that's why you don't see me playing this game anymore

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

I've removed content from this thread. Trolling/Baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code of Conduct here: company.wizards.com/conduct

Please remember to keep your posts polite and on topic and refrain from making personal attacks.

This game is done and dusted till Magic 2014, sad but true, i don't like any of the new 6 decks, that's why you don't see me playing this game anymore

That's unfortunate. If they are to busy to make new decks they could still do something like deck packs with some 2010 or 2012 decks to make lots of money from less effort than making a new deck.
Only 7 more days!!!

(yep, i'm bored)

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Only 7 more days!!!

(yep, i'm bored)

Your not alone man.

I need this deck to come out now. Nothing to do. All the other decks seem boring now.