Game: Find the TWENTY-FIVE things wrong

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Goofusandgalant, Goblin of Lumengrid
Creature-Beast Elemental (Common)
Haste
Goofusandgalant eners the battlefied untapped
When Goofusandgalant comes into play, search your library for a plane or scheme card and put it into your sideboard tapped.
Morbid-If a creature died this turn, Goofusandgalant enters the battlefield with 4 +1/+1 counters, 2 -1/-1 counters, a poison counter and trample.
Hellbent-If you have no cards in hand, draw three cards
Threshold-: Destroy target nonblack creature.  It can be regenerated.  Play this ability only if you have seven or more cards in your exile.
2/2

You have 24 hrs., then I'll post the answers
Name, creature type, rarity, abilities, power level, formatting, gramatical errors, inspiration and intent.
Most other things should be a subcategory of that.

Of course, we could just say "the card", but that's overly vague.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Name, creature type, rarity, abilities, power level, formatting, gramatical errors, inspiration and intent.
Most other things should be a subcategory of that.

Of course, we could just say "the card", but that's overly vague.

You pretty much coved it all...except for color.  That's a big one.  But could you be more specific?

1. Name is dumb.

2. Creature should be legendary from name.

3. Creature should be red from name.

4. Should cost more than .

5. Shouldn't be monowhite.

6. Creature should be a goblin.

7. Should not be a beast or elemental.

8. Should not be common.

9. 2nd ability is nearly useless.

10. 2nd ability is missing a period.

11. Name should be spelled out in full the first time it is written.

12. Plane and Scheme cards cannot be in decks.

13. Plane and scheme cards can not be in sideboards.

14. Not all formats allow sideboards, so cards can't be put in them.

15. Nonpermanents can't be tapped.

16. Library needs to be shuffled after searching.

17. Shouldn't enter with +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters.

18. Can't enter with a poison counter.

19. Should say "has trample."

20. Needs (This ability lasts indefinitely.)

21. Hellbent needs trigger wording, like "when ~ enters the battlefield," or "at the beggining of your upkeep,".

22. Hellbent ability needs a period.

23. Can't pay and simultaneously.

24. comes before .

25. Needs comma between different types of costs.

26. "Can be regenerated" is unnecessary.

27. "Play this ability" should be "Activate this ability"

28. "you have ... in your exile" should be "you own seven or more exiled cards."

29. Threshold should not be mentioned, as it is not used.

30. "Your exile" is not a zone.

31. Card needs to be shortened.

32. Card needs synergy.

Do I win?
Won a TPmanW contest with Demonic Arbitrator. (see below) My username is a simple continued fraction. Look it up. My favorite cards I've made:
Show
Æther Rider Creatuere - Spirit (U) Vanishing 0 (This permanent enters the battlefield with zero time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.) Flying : Put a time counter on ~. Any player may activate this ability. It comes on the wind, from realms unknown. 2/2 Kaldurian Behemoth Creature - Beast (R) Mana produced by lands may not be used to pay ~'s mana cost. Trample On Kalduria, the beasts are too good to eat common grass. 10/10 Demonic Arbitrator Sorcery Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of life. If any player paid life, repeat this process. If a player paid more life in total than any other, that player searches his or her library for a card and puts that card into his or her hand. Then that player shuffles his or her library. "Your sacrifice has been judged worthy. What power do you require?"
Goofusandgalant

Dreadful name.
Goblin
Creature - Beast Elemental

Isn't a goblin.

Costs too little and doesn't fit into white.
(Common)

Too complex.
Goofusandgalant

First mention of a card's name should include the title.
eners

Not an English word.
untapped

Can't trumps can, so entering the battlefield untapped is irrelevant.
comes into play

"Enters the battlefield."
search your library for a plane or scheme card

Neither of those types exist in your library.
Should be shuffled after you search.
put it into your sideboard

Sideboard isn't used in card design, as they do not apply in most casual games.
tapped.

"Tapped" as a state is only relevant for the battlefield.
Morbid

Should be italicized.
If a creature died this turn

Enters the battlefield should come first.
4 +1/+1 counters, 2 -1/-1 counters

Needlessly complex from just putting 2 +1/+1 counters on it.
a poison counter

Only relevant for players.
Hellbent

Should be italicized too.
If you have no cards in hand, draw three cards

Templated as if it exists on an instant or sorcery.
Threshold

See above.
:

Not going to bother to explain.
It can be regenerated.

Same as with entering tapped.
Play this ability only if you have seven or more cards in your exile.

Conflicts with Thresholds meaning.
You don't play abilities, you activate them.

You count, I can't bother.

Yxoque wrote:

Goofusandgalant, Goblin of Lumengrid
Creature-Beast Elemental (Common)
Haste
Goofusandgalant eners the battlefied untapped
When Goofusandgalant comes into play, search your library for a plane or scheme card and put it into your sideboard tapped.
Morbid-If a creature died this turn, Goofusandgalant enters the battlefield with 4 +1/+1 counters, 2 -1/-1 counters, a poison counter and trample.
Hellbent-If you have no cards in hand, draw three cards
Threshold-: Destroy target nonblack creature.  It can be regenerated.  Play this ability only if you have seven or more cards in your exile.
2/2

1. Name is ridiculously long.

2. Undercosted at C.

3. Card doesn't fit into white.

4. Is named but is not legendary.

5. Name indicates Goblin creature type.

6. Elemental should preceed Beast on the type line.

7. Not of common rarity.

8. First mention of name should be full name.

9. "enters" not "eners".

10. "battlefield" not "battlefied".

11. Entering untapped is not relevant. Even with Kismet, negative trumps positive.

12. "enters the battlefield" not "comes into play"

13. Your library cannot contain plane or scheme cards.

14. You need to reveal cards of a certain type after searching.

15. Your sideboard cannot contain plane or scheme cards.

16. Some formats do not have sideboards.

17. Cards in sideboards cannot be tapped.

18. You need to shuffle your library after searching.

19. "Morbid — [EFFECT] if a creature died this turn." not "Morbid — If a creatured died this turn, [EFFECT]".

20. Mixing of +1/+1 counters and -1/-1 counters.

21. Only players can have poison counters.

22. "has trample" not "trample".

23. Hellbent effect should be triggered.

24. You can't have both and in a cost.

25. Cost ordered wrong. ", , :" not ":".

26. It can be regenerated is not relevant.

27. Threshold should refer to cards in your graveyard not in exile.

28. No such zone as "your exile".

29. "Activate this ability" instead of "Play this ability".

I think that's about it...
So far no one has commented on the "Lumengrid" bit.

There's actually a whole slew of things wrong just with that one word.

Lumengrid is the central hub of Vedalken activity on Mirrodin. This means that the creature should be either Blue or an Artifact... or possibly Blue/Black what with the Phyrexian corruption of the Vedalken, but Jin Gitaxis is monoblue and I see no reason to change that. Regardless, the spell shouldn't be white.

(Sidenote: Based on this 3-7-15-1-292's claim that the card should be red is similarly wrong. We can argue this point, but to my mind "Lumengrid" should trump "Goblin." The location is a hint to the allegiance and flavor of the card FAR more than the creature type is.)

Furthermore, while I can see it maybe being a goblin, that's incredibly hard to justify favorfully given that Lumengrid was enhabited entirely by Vedalken and Humans. This was true even up to the point where it was completely corrupted by the New Phyrexians.

Fuuuuurthermore, that name means that this card is from Mirrodin. Although it's not wrong per se, it's a little odd that there's nothing artifact-based on this card.

More importantly, Hellbent, Threshold, and Morbid are not Mirrodin mechanics. None of them make sense with either the Memnarchian Lumengrid OR the Gitaxan Lumengrid--they're just very off-flavor.

Needless to say neither Beast nor Elemental makes sense with this location either. 

Which... I guess since these are problems between elements it would be easier to say that Lumengrid is the problem rather than everything else that conflicts with it but I AM A VORTHOS BY GOD AND I WILL EXPLAIN EVERYTHING WRONG WITH THE FLAVOR OR DIE TRYING  
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.

1. Shouldn't enter with +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters.

There's actually nothing in the rules against this (although all it does is make the card vulnerable to proliferate).
Wizards has avoided using +1/+1 counters and -1/-1 counters in the same block! They explained that it's too confusing because it's often hard to decide which of the counters are +1/+1 counters and which are -1/-1 counters..
Wizards has avoided using +1/+1 counters and -1/-1 counters in the same block! They explained that it's too confusing because it's often hard to decide which of the counters are +1/+1 counters and which are -1/-1 counters..

But they have used both in two consecutive blocks, aka a Standard format, so the players must have gotten a grip of it anyway.
They didn't care about formats with larger card pools, because that's impossible to prevent interactions between cards from different blocks..

But they have used both in two consecutive blocks, aka a Standard format, so the players must have gotten a grip of it anyway.

they even had both on the opposite sides of Lorwyn/Shadowmoor. that policy has never made sense to me.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

There's actually nothing in the rules against this (although all it does is make the card vulnerable to proliferate).

Shouldn't, not can't.
There's nothing in the rules stating the card name should include Goblin either.

Yxoque wrote:

First off, this card is a joke, and not meant to be playable.

Second, here's the list I created of 25 things wrong when I created the card.  Some are illegal, some just violate the spirit of the color wheel or of cards in general

1. Goblins are red creatures, not white creature

2. Lumengrid is blue and artifact place, not a white one

3. With the form ______, ________ of _______, it should be a legendary card and carry a rarity of rare or mythic

4. It's a Goblin in the title, yet its creature types are "Beast" and "Elemental"

5. Beast and Elementals are usually non-white

6. You don't use "comes into play" and "enters the battlefield" on the same card

7. The card isn't being referred to by its full name in its rules text

8. Planes and schemes aren't kept in libraries

9. The search ability forgot to tell you to shuffle your library

10. Cards in a zone other than the battlefield can't be tapped

11. Only two cards instruct you to sideboard a card, they are both in Unglued

12. Haste is a red ability, not a white one

13. Trample is a green ability, not a white one

14. Drawing multiple cards is a blue ability, not a white one

15. Destroying nonblack creatures is a black ability, not a white one

16. Threshold, Hellbent, and Morbid (or any combination of multiple keywords like that) have never appeared on cards together, and they probably won't since they're not evergreen

17. There has yet to be a white card with Hellbent or Morbid

18. Creatures don't get poison counters, players get them

19. A single card doesn't give a creature both +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters

20. Cards don't require you to tap and untap a creature to activate the same ability

21. Threshold is seven in your graveyard, not your exile

22. You can't count cards in your exile

23. "Enters the battlefield untapped" and "It can be regenerated" need not be said

24. A 2/2 creature with haste and no ill effects should cost more than

25. Beast and Elemental creatures generally are bigger than 2/2 

Jarr, Boros Lieback ()
Legendary Creature - Goblin

Vigilance
~ gets +0/+2 while it's not your turn.
Fateful Hour - If you have 5 or less life, ~ can block an additional creature.

3/3

Yes, Goblins can be white if they're militaristic, at least with a bit of bleed. There's even a red white enchantment that summons X red white goblin tokens.

No, it doesn't even do that. They mutually annihilate as a state based action. You cannot proliferate the -1/-1s, because they aren't there anymore

No, it doesn't even do that. They mutually annihilate as a state based action. You cannot proliferate the -1/-1s, because they aren't there anymore

Oh...well my bad ...

Oh...well my bad ...

Easy mistake to make, it's a rule that doesn't come up that often. Well, it comes up in my commander games quite often, because persist/undying can be great to abuse the rule, but otherwise it tends not to matter.

Oh...well my bad ...

Easy mistake to make, it's a rule that doesn't come up that often. Well, it comes up in my commander games quite often, because persist/undying can be great to abuse the rule, but otherwise it tends not to matter.

Yes, that's what got me to the conclusion that they can coexist - if +1/+1 cancels -1/-1, then persist is crazy good.
Sign In to post comments