What do you want from a new setting?

95 posts / 0 new
Last post
What do you want from a new setting?  What concepts haven't been done yet?

I'd like to see a water world / one piece (PoL with islands) setting.

You'd have a traveling "tavern" (ship).  A nice home base you need to protect.

Each island a new place to explore, giving you a nice option for episodic adventures and an opportunity to try out any silly ideas you want, and easily leave them behind.

You could have all the game of thrones stuff too.  With big islands fighting over small ones.

Naval battles.  Good fun to be had there too.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

My brother has run a couple variations on a water world of his own design, and they were a lot of fun. I support this idea.

Firearms and Wuxia.
...plus whatever else makes grognards rage.
A Heavy Urban Setting

A Walking Deities/Demigods Setting

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

We don't need anything new if all you want is navel battles and urban areas.  At least 90% of Toril was untouched. We could have had that and much more with the Forgotten Realms. Now that I think about it the Realms had walking deites too. Even before the time of troubles the goddess Selune owned a tavern in Waterdeep. If its new it has to be new like a parasitical setting inside the body of a space beast. 
Mechs. I'd like a setting where gnomes have real, outfittable mechs. Powered by a golem-gem core.

A setting where individuality is cherished over being part of a team, along with a rules supplement to aid in highlighting deeds of each PC rather than the party.

Also, a sword-and-sandals setting in the style of Howard would be nice.
Mechs. I'd like a setting where gnomes have real, outfittable mechs. Powered by a golem-gem core.

I see Eberron as being able to support this quite easily.  It's only a minor offshoot of Warforged to have mindless versions.  There's also plenty of magic-as-technology already present, as well.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
D&D Versus Mode.

And a setting built to handle mass-battles/warfare more appropriately.

From a new, original world? I want something where the very structure of the world is different than what we've come to expect. Even most D&D settings seem to assume a world similar to our own, with planets and moons and a sun and stars and continents and oceans and seasons and so on. Let's get a world that's a bit more fantastic, that actually works differently. How about a world that's inside-out, taking place along the inside of a sphere rather than the outside, with a perpetually floating spotlight-like sun "above" and infinite earth "beneath"? Or what about a world where, instead of moving horizontally, tectonic plates and continents just moved vertically, forcing all races to be nomads because that this mountain peak may be at the bottom of the ocean in a month's time is a simple norm? What about a planet that is tidally locked by its sun, with deadly heat to one side and deadly cold to another and the habitable zone of the planet being a thin ring at perpetual dawn and dusk? What about a world with a beathable "vacuum" and where inertial and gravitational mass are unrelated, where adventurers hop along from asteroid island to asteroid island? What about a world where water falls up and bubbles sink in water, where the terrestrial races live beneath a ceiling of ocean and the sky above that is but a rumor? Do something absurd and crazy like that.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Those all sound like Spelljammer planet ideas, not a basis for an entire setting.  Gimmicks like vertical tectonics get stale very quickly as the basis for campaign worlds, and don't actually result in a unique setting.  It's just Greyhawk, but vertical.  (For instance, Blackmoor already did the inside-of-the-earth concept with Hollow World. It's Blackmoor, but in a hollow world.)

If you want an original campaign world, you need to describe it in the sense of stories that it would tell.  That's why Eberron was such a great innovation.  The world wasn't particularly different physically, but the mood, the story, the setting was unique and allowed you to tell unique stories.  Eberron is not described as "a place where the Mournlands create undead monstrosities and Sharn is a vertical city".  It's described as "pulp action mets noir in a tense postwar fantasy setting".  

Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms. Greyhawk all do the classic fantasy story just fine, and really only differ in the details. It's the other campaign worlds that tell unique stories

Dark Sun: Post-apocalyptic survival in a dying world dominated by tyrants and slavers
Ravenloft: Gothic (or Victorian with Red Masque) horror in a world dominated by dark powers
Council of Wyrms: Be a dragon, rule the skies, and battle your brothers
Birthright: Classic medieval tales of chivalry, divine right, and world-shattering politics
Spelljammer: Space opera and light sci fi with a fantasy twist
Planescape: Philosopers battle and connive across the multiverse
Nentir Vale: Dark ages, low fantasy, high magic. Civilization is crumbling around you and only you the heroes can restore order to an ever-darkening world. 

If we get a new campaign setting, I would want it to have a unique flavor.  For exmaple...

Young World: You are the first generation of mortals, created by the gods to populate and help shape a newly created universe.

The world wasn't particularly different physically, but the mood, the story, the setting was unique and allowed you to tell unique stories.  Eberron is not described as "a place where the Mournlands create undead monstrosities and Sharn is a vertical city".  It's described as "pulp action mets noir in a tense postwar fantasy setting".

I'm going to have to disagree. As much as I love Eberron, it's not very unique. The stories that it tells are ones that can be told in any other setting exactly because the world is not really all that remarkably different. I can't think of any stories that Eberron can tell that couldn't be told be almost any other setting with similar levels of magic and technology.

Those all sound like Spelljammer planet ideas, not a basis for an entire setting.

I don't think that those two things are necessarily different (and that's why I love Spelljammer). I'm not arguing that settings like Eberron aren't great, but there's only so much that you can do when your only two significant sliding scales for what seems to make a setting are level of magic and level of technology. I want more worlds that themselves are actually different. The interesting social, cultural, religious, technological, magical, and so on are then born out of that, what fits in this unique world and how. I guess in the end we're just taking a different approach to what constitutes an interesting setting (and after seeing your edit, I'm sure of that, as your Young World idea sounds to me like the concept for a one-shot, not a fully fleshed out campaign setting), but I feel like the approach of just taking the same old world and adjusting the technology and magic sliders is getting old.

Maybe to give an example of what I mean from an existing setting, take a look at Dark Sun. The rules of this world are different. Here, magic works by consuming life. It's a simple concept, some would even say gimmicky at first, but from it came an awesome crazy world shaped by it. But maybe you don't define Dark Sun by this very difference in how the world functions and how that ripples and shapes the rest of the setting, maybe you just see it as a simple post-apocalyptic desert, and I think that's your loss.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
I think I'd like a campaign world which highlights the unknown.  An unknown past, and mysteries from it being a regular theme.  Basically a relic hunter's dream.  If you like tomb raiding and finding ancient relics and magic items (or tech if that's how we want to describe it) this would be the campaign setting for you.  It was always one of the things I loved in reading the WoT series (sorry most readily available source in my brain).  That feeling of not knowing what everything around you was or what it was for.  That feeling that maybe no one knew what it was or what it was for.  A place where the giant sculptures of kings are noted on a map, but no one knows who those kings are because their time is long since past and that history has been lost.  Those have always been some of my favorite settings.  It is a setting where any manner of thing can be introduced because no one really knows the full scope of history except for the really big events and even some of those could be incorrect histories or incomplete histories.
I'm still hoping for a setting that supports dieties and superpowers on the same plane as the mortals and not squirrelled away on some home plane plotting some thousand year plan nonsense, doing nothing actively.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

Honestly, I'd love to see a two sided Dyson's Sphere.  Something big enough that entire gaming worlds can be placed on it and still not contact each other.  A Dyson's Sphere would be massive enough for the atmosphere to maintain itself on the "outside".
Funnily enough, a homebrew setting of mine was a young ocean world, because I'd decided that was something I hadn't seen much of. I didn't follow through enough on that, I think, because I had a hard time justifying plotlines without there being some past to draw from. But it was a world in its first millenium, for that that's worth.

So, yeah. I want a Young World and I want a sea-farring world. Combined would be convenient. 
I don't use emoticons, and I'm also pretty pleasant. So if I say something that's rude or insulting, it's probably a joke.
I want a modern setting.  I want a world of modern fantasy, with guns, computers, & cars.  A world where magic and technology both exist, and they often compete to be the best answer to a given problem.  A world where trauma patients are first given an IV healing potion in the ambulance on the way to the hospital.  A world where at least one of the people competing to be the World Strongest Man is an Orc, Bugbear, Hobgoblin, or Minotaur.  I want a world whose silicon valley is populated by tinker gnomes and where the latest thing in cars are electric ones powered by the lightning from a trapped air elemental and conventional ones with a fire elemental in the engine.

^^ This too. ^^
There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

I was about to say modern/urban fantasy, but Mech beat me to it!  Most of my other ideas have been captured in one way or another.  Even though it's been said, why not go with a more classical/mythical type setting.  Give me Arthurian legends/Chivalric Romanticism!  (Merlin's over, I'm full of sadness, and I need something besides that one Arthurian RPG) 

Or maybe a world being afflicted by space and time anomalies.  At one point this might have been a standard high fantasy vanilla setting, but these anomalies have warped everything significantly.  Perhaps reality is trying to tear itself apart or stabilize countless paradoxes as the result of dabbling in such taboo forces.  As a result, rocket powered chariots, sub machine crossbows, grey alien wizards, enchanted ray guns, experiments that should not be (I do indeed love TimeSplitters), pterodactyls in the park, Holy Roman Emperor Churchill (Doctor Who as well), and other bits of anachronistic insanity with risk of the continuum dissolving into nothing if action isn't taken.

The Knights of W.T.F. may as well be ghosts, but the message still stays;

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
Goblin Napoleanics!

Bugbear Gunners
Wolfrider Lancers
Hobgoblin Hussars
Gobby Grenadiers
Imp Guards

Naval Battles, Massive Battles, Secret Missions, Cloak and Dagger, Releasing monsters from prison to thwart invaders...

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

I'd like to see a Planescape without all that faux-Victorian, Yugoloth fanfic stuff. Have a material world that's a patchwork of portal-kingdoms leading to the Outer Planes, where the Deities and Outsiders are continually fighting for control of it. All that cool stuff Planescape had for the evil planes? Everyone gets something fun, and even the good planes get to have intrigue and machinations.

Savage Species suggested a world where the monster races rule the world. It would be fun to have a world where goblinkind, orcs, gnolls, and lizardfolk are the default races, and it;s the sterotypical races (Halflings, Dwarves, Elves, Humans) that live in the dungeons and sewers. It would be an evil campaign, but more civilized than you'd think.

Or maybe a world being afflicted by space and time anomalies.  At one point this might have been a standard high fantasy vanilla setting, but these anomalies have warped everything significantly.  Perhaps reality is trying to tear itself apart or stabilize countless paradoxes as the result of dabbling in such taboo forces.  As a result, rocket powered chariots, sub machine crossbows, grey alien wizards, enchanted ray guns, pterodactyls in the park, Holy Roman Emperor Churchill, and other bits of anachronistic insanity with risk of the continuum dissolving into nothing if action isn't taken.

Sounds like Eberron to me. Tongue Out 

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

Sounds like Eberron to me. Tongue Out 

Not wibbly-wobbly enough!  Perhaps Eberron... with a ton of Spelljammer, Planescape, Chronomancer, Dragonstar, and Gamma World (old and new) thrown in for good measure

The Knights of W.T.F. may as well be ghosts, but the message still stays;

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
The world wasn't particularly different physically, but the mood, the story, the setting was unique and allowed you to tell unique stories.  Eberron is not described as "a place where the Mournlands create undead monstrosities and Sharn is a vertical city".  It's described as "pulp action mets noir in a tense postwar fantasy setting".

I'm going to have to disagree. As much as I love Eberron, it's not very unique. The stories that it tells are ones that can be told in any other setting exactly because the world is not really all that remarkably different. I can't think of any stories that Eberron can tell that couldn't be told be almost any other setting with similar levels of magic and technology.

I love Eberron too, but I have to agree with this. Eberron is pulpy and noir only by fiat; if the intro pages of the book and author interviews didn't use those words to describe Eberron, they'd never be used to describe Eberron at all. Eberron is fantasy with a punky aesthetic, cool ersatz versions of some modern innovations, some assumption-challenging racial traits, and some marginally different configurations of the typical pantheons, noble houses, etc. You certainly can run a noir-ish campaign in Eberron, but it's not meaningfully better suited to it than anything else.

I actually think that Eberron's erroneous reputation as a noirish setting (which it tries itself to encourage) hurts it. I was originally uninterested in it because that didn't sound like the kind of thing I wanted to try to mess with.
Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.
It might exist, but I'd like to see a setting that just rolls the clocks back. Like, a world where humans are this new rare exotic thing the gods just created. No one has "parents" yet. There have only been 2 generations of elves/dwarvs and such. No truly ancient artifacts. No truly ancient dungeons. Half the country is overrun by an army of dire wolves. Maybe, small villages of talking rabbits and badgers need help from these new strange creatures the gods brought down. 
People don't go, "Oh crap, goblins!"
They go, "Oh crap! Green little things! What are they?!" 
A few guidelines for using the internet: 1. Mentally add "In my opinion" to the end of basically anything someone else says. Of course it's their opinion, they don't need to let you know. You're pretty smart. 2. Assume everyone means everything in the best manner they could mean it. Save yourself some stress and give people the benefit of the doubt. We'll all be happier if we type less emoticons. 3. Don't try to read people's minds. Sometimes people mean exactly what they say. You probably don't know them any better than they know themselves. 4. Let grammar slide. If you understood what they meant, you're good. It's better for your health. 5. Breath. It's just a dumb game.
I want realistic dystopian steampunk fantasy, almost like deconstruction of fantasy genre set on the industrial revolution era and/or WWI era...i want a settings where there isn't such thing as defined good and evil either
Lol half of you want d20 modern. I can also recommend the Star Wars Saga rules but rip the lasers out.
I would love to see Greyhawk personally.  Though I personally think Eberron is one of the most creative settings to come out of D&D in the last decade so I'm all for bringing that one back.

As for something completetly new, I definitly would love to see a pure fantasy world that breaks away from all of the traditional tolkenish stuff, but is still pure high fantasy rather than a hybrid.  Something you actually have to read to get a clear picture of and are unable to make a bunch of assumptions.  No elves, no dwarfs, no hobbits..   

My Blog (The Gamers Think Tank)

"Edition wars like all debates exist because people like debates"

Eberron has been the nonly new CS from WoTC in the last decade lol. 4th ed PoL kinda doesn't count as it wasn't published as one (probably should have been IMHO).
I would love a more balanced d20 modern(the old one was fun as hell,but had alot of issues I had to house rule when I ran it.)

These new forums are terrible.

I misspell words on purpose too draw out grammer nazis.

Whatever new setting they make, one thing I would like is to keep their roleplaying books and their story books seperate.

These new forums are terrible.

I misspell words on purpose too draw out grammer nazis.

Something with Flintlock pistols, muskets, and cannons would be cool. I wouldn't mind getting my Pirate on in some high-octane, high-seas naval combat. With the limitations on re-loading those sort of firearms, a good many encounters would still be decided by hand-to-hand combat.

I wouldn't mind a Pern-esque type deal with a largely ignorant populace in a fantasy setting sitting on top of the remains of fairly advanced tech. Plus obligatory doomsday.

To be honest though I don't expect anything modern out of WoTC; it will probably be left to 3rd party products like Dias Ex Machina's range.

Eberron has been the nonly new CS from WoTC in the last decade lol. 4th ed PoL kinda doesn't count as it wasn't published as one (probably should have been IMHO).

True but when I think of 3rd edition D&D settings in particular I consider many of the settings to be staples of D&D of that time.  For example I spent more time in the Scarred Lands during 3rd edition days than I ever did anything official from WoTc, just to name one particular setting.

In as a whole though I would consider Eberron to be one of the best settings of all time for D&D as a franchise and all its 3rd party efforts.  Its that good in my opinion.    

My Blog (The Gamers Think Tank)

"Edition wars like all debates exist because people like debates"

A setting that mixes modern fantasy as described my MechaPilot and others (IIRC) in one section, steampunk in another, Wuxia in another, and Mechas in another. Basicly, five contenents that are somehow cohesive that offer wildy different enviroments. It's a shame that Eye on Eberron is going, but mister Baker is working on a new setting and I eagerly await that one.
holydoom.weebly.com: Holydoom! A lighthearted RPG in progress. Loosely based on 3.5. 4, and GURPS. Very, Very, Very loosely. Seriously, visit it now. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29086701/I_HIT_IT_WITH_MA_SWORD!_(like_this!):_A_Slayers_Handbook An attempt at CharOp
To anyone who thinks Pathfinder is outselling D&D
While one report may say that FLGS report a greater amount of book sales, one cannot forget the fact that the 71000 DDI subscribers paying 6-10 dollars a month don't count as "Book Sales."
"see sig" redirects here
Oblivious troll is Oblivious
PbP supporter!
General thoughts, feelings, and info on DDN!
Stuff I Heard Mike Say (subject to change): Multiclassing will be different than in 3.5! That's important. There is no level cap; classes advance ala 3.5 epic levels after a set level. Mundane (AKA fighter and co) encounter and daily powers will probably not be in the PHB (for the lack of space), but nor will they be in some obscure book released halfway through the edition.
You can't please everyone, but you can please me. I DO NOT WANT A FREAKING 4E REPEAT. I DO NOT WANT A MODULE THAT MIMICS MY FAVORITE EDITION. I WANT MODULES THAT MIMIC A PLAYSTYLE AND CAN BE INTERCHANGED TO COMPLETELY CHANGE THE FEEL, BUT NOT THE THEME, OF D&D. A perfect example would be an espionage module, or desert survival. A BAD EXAMPLE IS HEALING SURGES. WE HAVE 4E FOR THOSE! A good example is a way to combine a mundane and self healing module, a high-survival-rate module, and a separate pool of healing resource module.
I played a setting once that was earth but 500,000 years in the future. Magic had caused a semi apocalypse and human civilization had crumbled. From the ashes of the old world, a new magical one was reborn. Think "The time machine" + Shadowrun (where everything magical is more or less a mutation of something that originally natural) 
My two copper.
Seems like a bunch of people want basic fantasy just moved a century or three forward in technology.

I like Staccat0's idea and think it could work well with my earthly walking deities idea.

Seems like a bunch of people want basic fantasy just moved a century or three forward in technology. I like Staccat0's idea and think it could work well with my earthly walking deities idea.

It's also the Young World scenario I suggested in post 10.
The setting I would like to see added to the game would blend Sci-fi Space Opera with dimension hopping antics and tradiontial fantasy.
I know how old-fashioned some D&D Players can be and even suggesting adding Sci-fi to D&D could get me chased off the forums with pitchforks and torches, but the setting I'm currently working on for a future campaign entitled SoulStorm blends these together fairly well in my opinion.

The basic premise is that there billions and billions of different universes co-existing with one another. Every living thing in existence contains a portion of life energy, commonly known as a "Soul". When the creature dies, its soul is released, and begins to gravitate towards the centre of the universe towards the SoulStorm. The Soulstorm is at the centre of all universes, and as you get closer to it the universes start to merge together somewhat. The Soulstorm looks somewhat like a maelstrom composed of white-ish green life energy. Towards the centre of the soul storm, the pressure generated by the life energy being sucked in causes a rip in the walls between universes, and the life energy is thrown into a another universe where it will occupy the closest living thing without a soul. This natural phenomenon is known as "Reincarnation" and forms the basis of how life can be in the universe.

That basic premise has a few extra ideas and rules which make it a bit more interesting, here are a few examples.

1. There are a few exceptions to this rule, such as the avian race of Phoenixes, who upon death quickly age backwards and then suck their own soul back inside themselves, essentially living forever.

2. Magic can be used to travel between different universes. An entire class, The Wanderer is based around magic that allows travel between universes.

3. Different universes have a different rules of how reality works here. Using highly advanced magic, these rules can be ignored by individuals who can cause their own bodies to work by the rules of another universe, mostly liking their universe of origin.  There are too many universes to count but most universes can be categorized into commonly recurring types.
Here's an example: Infernal Universes.
Infernal Universes are inhabited by highly malevolent creatures and even being in these universes for long begins to twist and corrupt minds, causing mortals to have desires to inflict pain and suffering on others. All pain experienced in these universes is exaggerated, causing even the tiniest scratches to cause indescribable agony.

4. Creatures known as Demons feed on this Life Energy, slowing killing all of reality as we know it. Who knows how much of reality has already been destroyed by these creatures.

5. Demonic Energy is the ultimate destructive force, even rare for demons to use it. Effects and powers that have the Demonic Keyword that cause damage are permanent. These powers often cause huge damage and also cut the victims maximum Hitpoints by that amount of damage, therefore damage sustained from demonic energy can never be recovered.

A setting like this is my ideal setting. Do I expect WOTC to ever publish anything like this? Of Course not, but it's what I want.
The more I think about it, the more I am liking the Young World setting. PCs could be the first scouts and handle negotiations with newly discovered races. And weird alliances and enemies could be formed.

The more I think about it, the more I am liking the Young World setting. PCs could be the first scouts and handle negotiations with newly discovered races. And weird alliances and enemies could be formed.

I did a game similar to this once. It was awesome watching the all human party meet elves for the first time and being baffled that they didn't speak common. Hilarious!
My two copper.

That's not a setting, though. That's an okay idea for a one-shot campaign adventure, but there's no way to make a consistant and extensive world out of that.

That's not a setting, though. That's an okay idea for a one-shot campaign adventure, but there's no way to make a consistant and extensive world out of that.

I could do it quite easily.  What you need is a good backstory, such as the universe being the playground of a numbe rof mighty powers (gods, demon lords, aberrant entities, etc.) that never previously ineracted, each esxisting in their own discrete universes.  But the edges of their disparate realities bled together forming a puddle like melted candlewax.  That is reality.  And as the various entities find it, they find this candlewax can be heated and melted and refotmed to their liking.  From the melted wax they made the first races.

So what you have is a cosmic battle to determine what the shape of the world will be and various regions of the world that have more influence by each of the outerplanes.  I'd throw in Primal Spirits as the awakened powers of the material world, seeking to preserve itself, but uncertain how to handle the creatures made by the other planes that ar emade from prime material.

You have innumerable stories that can flow from this scenario.  You have alliances and plots by the various Powers against one another and the Primal Spirits.  You have the mortals unlocking new secrets, discovering races that can ally or not ally.  ou get to completely undo all the traditional frameworks of D&D.  You can have dwarves and kobolds allying against elves and orcs.  You can have new races nobody has seen.  You could be this world's Vecna, ascending to godhood.  

It's the stories of Gilgamesh, the early Greek and Egyptian Myths.  Imagine Odin and his brothers first discovering Yggdrasil. It's a world built on discovery and constant new horizons.

It is absolutely the basis for a campaign setting.

You have innumerable stories that can flow from this scenario.

I think that's exactly the problem. The basis for the campaign is that there's is no history, that there aren't any established allegiances or relationships, that there is no knowledge of existence. That might make for a neat creation story, a neat myth about how a actual setting began, but it's just not a setting yet. There is no world there yet, and the number of stories that it can thus tell through actual D&D campaigns are extremely limited. As a specific adventure, it's cool, but as a full-blow setting, it's awful. It's like there's almost nothing for characters to do other than explore for the sake of exploring, and character essentially can't have any backstory. You're painting it as having so much potential in terms of what can happen, but the truth is that it's actually pretty shallow when it comes to real role-playing opportunities.