First time DM'ing

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
So as the title says, its my first time DM'ing and I want to give my players ( all of whom have never played D&D before  ) a good adventure to make them thirst for more

I may have to add that  I started playing like half a year ago  and thus am not that experienced ( as well as I played 3.5 ed  the first couple of months )

I kinda have a small plan  but I am unsure of how it will go, considering that they have yet to figure out their characters as well.

any help would be appreciated ( currently reading the dungeon master guidebooks and getting some assistance from my 4th ed DM )

Especially for a first adventure like this, sit down with all of the players and ask them what kinds of things they'd like to do. Have players flesh out characters at the table, and have them link the characters together. If someone says "My character spent time in an orcish prison" another player can say "That's how our characters met!"

Especially in these early games, having that kind of collaboration also develops a huge amount of buy-in from the players and it eases the workload and responsibility off of the DM. It's also a great time to set ground rules for the game so everyone has the same expectations.

Good luck, it's an exciting time
My current DM  has referred me to the book " The Slaying Stone"  and  I must say it does look kinda temptive.

also towards the collaboration, its just a pity that my players seem kinda, uncommunicative,  also doesnt help that some of them are americans while the rest are europeans  so you've got a different timezone ( online games for the win )

also, Tabletop Forge = Brilliant  for online games.

Regardless,  Much appreciative of your input  merb101
Slaying Stone is a really good adventure because it gives the players a lot of freedom in how it can be approached. Want to sneak into the city? Want to charge in with swords drawn? Want to convince one group of monsters they are better off without the other group? All perfectly reasonable strategies

And yes, it can take a little bit of cajoling to get some people to weigh in. The kinds of characters they create will tell you a bit about the kinds of adventures they are wanting to have.
well I've already two people who kinda want to have mercenary like characters ( one who I think is thinking of ranger )  so im gonna assume that the other will go rogue.

but you know how it is with assumptions.
Already downloading the PNG maps for the slaying stone (though some of them are seemingly missing,   dat google )

Got any good sites to find maps  ?
its my first time DM'ing and I want to give my players ( all of whom have never played D&D before  ) a good adventure to make them thirst for more

- I suggest using a premade adventure (especially the adventure from the Redbox).
- Use tokens for monsters, but maybe get miniatures for the PC's (cheap at Auggies or Troll&Toad).
its my first time DM'ing and I want to give my players ( all of whom have never played D&D before  ) a good adventure to make them thirst for more

- I suggest using a premade adventure (especially the adventure from the Redbox).
- Use tokens for monsters, but maybe get miniatures for the PC's (cheap at Auggies or Troll&Toad).

two good suggestions for when I DM in a irl game thanks
Frohtastic, I just joined tabletop forge and would luv to get into a game.  Got room for one more? :p
 Tabletop Forge = Brilliant  for online games.

do you have room for other charactors?

Frohtastic, I just joined tabletop forge and would luv to get into a game.  Got room for one more? :p

Sadly we are already 6 players ( not counting me )  and feels a bit chaotic already :P
But I wish you luck in finding a game

Sadly we are already 6 players ( not counting me )  and feels a bit chaotic already :P
But I wish you luck in finding a game

Thats too bad, Good luck in your game!
Especially for a first adventure like this, sit down with all of the players and ask them what kinds of things they'd like to do. Have players flesh out characters at the table, and have them link the characters together. If someone says "My character spent time in an orcish prison" another player can say "That's how our characters met!"

Especially in these early games, having that kind of collaboration also develops a huge amount of buy-in from the players and it eases the workload and responsibility off of the DM. It's also a great time to set ground rules for the game so everyone has the same expectations.

I can only support this advice. Good luck.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

Sign In to post comments