Eberron?

Will we be at any point be seeing Eberron in 5E? The latest Eye on Eberron article seems to cast some doubt on it. 
Khyber is a dark and dangerous place, full of flame and smoke, where ever stranger things lie dormant.
I hope so. Unfortunatly, WoTC have no info to share on published settings at this time.
The latest Eye on Eberron article seems to cast some doubt on it. 

I don't see any reference to Next either doubtful or doubtless.  What is giving you doubts?
If things go as planned, and Next last as long as they hope, then i'm sure eberon will come out at some point.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

It's like me asking about Al-Qadim at this stage...
It's like me asking about Al-Qadim at this stage...

Needs more Spelljammer.
My two copper.
Considering how a Next dev has said that Eberron, Planescape, and Dark Sun aren't really D&D, it wouldn't surprise me, and shouldn't surprise you, for it to be absent from Next, unfortunately.

It looks more and more like "universal edition" to Mearls means "Play what I want you to play damn it or get out!" 

Stop the H4TE

Anything's better than the F'Realms...

If you have to resort to making offensive comments instead of making logical arguments, you deserve to be ignored.

Considering how a Next dev has said that Eberron, Planescape, and Dark Sun aren't really D&D, it wouldn't surprise me, and shouldn't surprise you, for it to be absent from Next, unfortunately.

It looks more and more like "universal edition" to Mearls means "Play what I want you to play damn it or get out!" 

do you have a quote for this?
these have been pretty much my favourite D&D settings over the last 20 years. If they are not D&D anymore then I'm done with D&D. So long.

I couldn't agree more! Spelljammer was the best!

Dec 27, 2012 -- 3:28PM, IAmSylar wrote:

do you have a quote for this?
these have been pretty much my favourite D&D settings over the last 20 years. If they are not D&D anymore then I'm done with D&D. So long.

community.wizards.com/dndnext/blog/2012/...

Stop the H4TE

community.wizards.com/dndnext/blog/2012/...

If you actually read the post, it's about saying "things that aren't core D&D are good to include, especially as options".  Not "things that aren't core D&D are bad and we'll never do anything like them".
The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.
I need to step in here for a moment and remind folks not to take quotes out of context.  If you read further into that blog, Rob later admits that his "not in my D&D" attitude softened and changed as he took into account the feelings and preferences of his players.  The whole reason for admitting to that bias is to set up the potential presentation of races and classes in D&D Next, acknowledging that some players and DMs have preferences that may not include "exotic" races like Dragonborn, or Tiefling.

Thus, the blog promotes more inclusivity, not less.

A quote taken out of context can be highlighted in such a way as to carry a meaning entirely opposite of the author's intent.  Please remember that as this discussion continues.

Thanks.      

All around helpful simian

Ah well, seems like our dear Hellcow himself has absolutely no news regarding Eberron and 5E, as can be seen in his "end of the year" blogpost. Let's just say that this is going another step towards alienating a certain sub-set of fans.

Then again, I can't imagine 5E working well with the principles of Eberron, personally speaking.

Why?
Is it because the core of the system is being built around a lower magic item style?
Or is it because The Great Hellcow, is working on a new setting?
Ah well, seems like our dear Hellcow himself has absolutely no news regarding Eberron and 5E, as can be seen in his "end of the year" blogpost. Let's just say that this is going another step towards alienating a certain sub-set of fans.

Then again, I can't imagine 5E working well with the principles of Eberron, personally speaking.

Why?
Is it because the core of the system is being built around a lower magic item style?
Or is it because The Great Hellcow, is working on a new setting?

It's the controlled climate of 4e without the good parts and the vancian spellcasting system of old, again without any of the good freeform bits.
No WBL, no item crafting, bounded accuracy. While this may seem like a generic complaint, you'd find that Eberron is a bit lost without them, although it's cirtainly not imposible.
holydoom.weebly.com: Holydoom! A lighthearted RPG in progress. Loosely based on 3.5. 4, and GURPS. Very, Very, Very loosely. Seriously, visit it now. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29086701/I_HIT_IT_WITH_MA_SWORD!_(like_this!):_A_Slayers_Handbook An attempt at CharOp
To anyone who thinks Pathfinder is outselling D&D
While one report may say that FLGS report a greater amount of book sales, one cannot forget the fact that the 71000 DDI subscribers paying 6-10 dollars a month don't count as "Book Sales."
"see sig" redirects here
Oblivious troll is Oblivious
PbP supporter!
General thoughts, feelings, and info on DDN!
Stuff I Heard Mike Say (subject to change): Multiclassing will be different than in 3.5! That's important. There is no level cap; classes advance ala 3.5 epic levels after a set level. Mundane (AKA fighter and co) encounter and daily powers will probably not be in the PHB (for the lack of space), but nor will they be in some obscure book released halfway through the edition.
You can't please everyone, but you can please me. I DO NOT WANT A FREAKING 4E REPEAT. I DO NOT WANT A MODULE THAT MIMICS MY FAVORITE EDITION. I WANT MODULES THAT MIMIC A PLAYSTYLE AND CAN BE INTERCHANGED TO COMPLETELY CHANGE THE FEEL, BUT NOT THE THEME, OF D&D. A perfect example would be an espionage module, or desert survival. A BAD EXAMPLE IS HEALING SURGES. WE HAVE 4E FOR THOSE! A good example is a way to combine a mundane and self healing module, a high-survival-rate module, and a separate pool of healing resource module.
An Eberron supplement would give you all these options as rules made for Eberron, the same way other campaign settings like Spelljammer, Dark Sun, and Ravenloft always come with new rules.  I really don't get the rampant hatemongering some people insist on purveying around here.

Keith Baker isn't working on Eberron Next because Next isn't going to be released for a year, and Eberron would not be released for the new system for at least a half-year after that (or more).  Keith Baker needs to eat, so I assume he'd be working on other stuff in the interim.  Sheesh.

Also, here's Keith Baker's blog.  There's nothing mentioned -- positive or negative -- about Next.  That people are taking silence to mean doom is beyond absurd.
Wrecan: I think what Keith says explicitly is depressing enough. No more "Eye on Eberron" monthly articles, but we've got weekly articles on the Forgotten Realms. I think that says a lot for where WotC is heading right now: instead of giving a little support to a wide variety of settings, we got a lot of material for the super-popular settings. 

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

You know, I totally missed that announcement in his blog!  That is depressing. I liked those articles. I wonder why they closed it down.  I wonder if they are shutting down all the "Eye on" articles and moving the format to something new.  Should be in interesting new year.
I just looked at the Table of Contents for this month's Dragon Magazine.

Let's see: No Eberron article, no Dark Sun article, and one Forgotten Realms article! 

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

I just looked at the Table of Contents for this month's Dragon Magazine.

Let's see: No Eberron article, no Dark Sun article, and one Forgotten Realms article! 

Sentient Living Spells
 By Doug Hyatt and Robert J. Schwalb 
They don’t eat; they don’t sleep; they don’t breathe. They are living spells, and they exist to destroy and consume. Visit the blighted Mournland and discover the inner workings of these sentient monstrosities.

Sound like an Eberron article to me

Yeah I've cancelled my insider subscription because of this.
Khyber is a dark and dangerous place, full of flame and smoke, where ever stranger things lie dormant.
Sign In to post comments