Reducing the number of cards in my cube

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all,

Quite a while ago, over a year or so, I had put together a box full of singleton leftover commons, for my play group to draft and play other limited formats with. And I have been adding to that box as more sets came out. However, recently, I have reached the limit of what the box can physically hold (about 1200 cards). Rather than getting a bigger container, I opted to weed out the less powerful/playable cards, as well as cards that only support rarely used strategies such as milling or are simply not needed in great amount like land destruction to make the pool stronger overall and make drafting decisions more challenging. But its getting really hard to decide on what to take out as most of the cards are at least decent enough to see limited play.

With the release of Gatecrash coming up, I'll want to put even more cards into the box, so I need to make room. Does anybody have ideas as to how to go about reducing the number of cards further? I'll be grateful for any advice on that matter.

My second community draft, with the format being Zendikar/Worldwake/Rise of the Eldrazi, is now facing the Rise of the Eldrazi. If you like to draft, maybe check it out. We'd like to hear your thoughts on the picks.

CD2: General

My community draft experiment with DTK/DTK/FRF is concluded now. If you want to, you can check it out and maybe build some decks from the pools. I've already build my own take on that.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/limited-sealed-and-draft/threads/4206961

Once again aced the Rules Advisor test (Feb 2015). (I still make mistakes now and then, but who doesn't.)

"Simple questions" usually need rather complex answers, while complex questions often come down to no more than a simple "yes" or "no".

Hmm, seems like no one has an idea to help me. Well, how about this? Here are some sample 15 card "boosters" from my cube. From each pack, select the three cards that you consider the least playable.

Here is what my players generally know about my cube

- Its about 1200 cards
- All colors are roughly represented in equal numbers
- It's all commons from Onlsaught onwards
- Some sets are not represented: 8th edition, both Mirrodin blocks, Lorwyn/Morningtide, Zendikar block, M10
- There are no double faced cards
- Some sets are represented with many cards while others are in there with just a few
- I have been taking out many cards that I consider not playable or too narrow
- I have left in some cards, that I suspect some players in my playgroup would want to play even though I wouldn't

My second community draft, with the format being Zendikar/Worldwake/Rise of the Eldrazi, is now facing the Rise of the Eldrazi. If you like to draft, maybe check it out. We'd like to hear your thoughts on the picks.

CD2: General

My community draft experiment with DTK/DTK/FRF is concluded now. If you want to, you can check it out and maybe build some decks from the pools. I've already build my own take on that.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/limited-sealed-and-draft/threads/4206961

Once again aced the Rules Advisor test (Feb 2015). (I still make mistakes now and then, but who doesn't.)

"Simple questions" usually need rather complex answers, while complex questions often come down to no more than a simple "yes" or "no".

If you have these in a spreadsheet you could plot the mana ramp by color and see how well it fits for that color. By that I mean, do you have enough blue instant one-drops and two-drops, for example?

Please check out my Blog:

Magic the Gathering Adventures Blog

http://mtgadventures.blogspot.com/

Please check out my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rubiera22/featured

Wow... I haven't been here for a while. I'll help specifically in a bit. But for now, some general advice.

Keep a general inventory of specific characteristics of your cards.
Number of creatures?
How much of each cmc?
etc...
Then try setting a theme for each color. It doesn't have to be strict... but let that influence what cards you want to keep. That will quickly weed out what cards you should remove.

Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary

Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The Altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Here are the cards that, from the sample, could possibly be removed.
Again, my idea is that this cube is rather weakly compiled (as you mentioned random singletons) so things that rely too heavily on other things should probably go.

Gravepurge - I dunno. You draw a card, but you have to dig trough creatures. I'm unsure as to keep it or toss it.
Smelt - This is a definite sideboard card. I also saw hardly any artifacts.
---
War Falcon - Do you have lots of support cards for this?
Chemister's Trick - Ravnica limited might not exactly match up with other limited pools. This card is one of the ones I think that doesn't.
Shepherd of Rot - Do you have a lot of zombies? It's good otherwise, but you still want at least a handful.
---
Mistform Dreamer - I can't see this being very important without a very exact theme built around it.
Druid's Deliverance - Good card, but without tokens loses much of it's potential.
Grave Bramble - Do you have a lot of zombies?
---
Veil of Secrecy - Do you have a lot of arcane?
---
Barbarian Riftcutter - I think this is a good card, but very, very overcosted.
Plow Through Reito - Rather specific.
---
Eyes in the Skies - Do you have a lot of token producers?

Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary

Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The Altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Sign In to post comments