Hi Everyone! I made these MTG graveyard/library holders, wanting to get your input!

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hi there everyone! Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!!

I do a lot of miniature painting and stuff and was asked to create a miniature plaque for a friend to hold her library and/or graveyard while playing. I got hooked and starting making one for each of the mana colors and I am currently trying to make some for mixed color lands! I made a couple of each and I am currently selling them on Etsy! I wanted to write here and see if any of you were interested and if I could get an input! These were all handmade and I use very high-quality material so they last, and they look so cool when on the table with a crazy battle going! Hopefully they will catch on!

Anyways, thanks for looking and please take a look and let me know what you think!

www.etsy.com/shop/GraveyardMagic

Peace and a Happy New Year!

-Ben

Those are real pretty; about $45 more than I would pay for an MTG accessory that didn't give me a strategic advantage, but they look nice.
Looks cool but in all honesty I would rather have a play mat than a bulky accessory like that. I would probably like to have one near my gaming accessories and place a Full dECk on it like a nifty looking placeholder. I will say.....I am obsessed with mermaids so if you ever are a blue/white one with a Merrfolk on it I might give into my wants and buy it ! Lol. (note, most merfolk in mtg are rather ugly...so disappointing )

I love etsy, I'll bookmark your page because I may get an itch to get one as a novelty item. 

Thus might be too much, but what if you made a resin or wooden "play may" with designated zones? I would charge a bit more for something of that size 
U.S Army Vet, Mother & Wife, Pre-med student, Tatted/Pierced, Avid fantasy novel reader, Doodler/Photoshop-er of random things etc etc... I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
These look cool, but I think your biggest problem is going to be that they just arent very portable.  The only way I could really see someone using one is if they actively play Magic with friends in their own home.

Perhaps you could try making some sort of decorative deckbox?  Or even something to hold dice as well?  It seems like there would be a lot more demand for that kind of stuff.

Current decks
Comments or suggestions are always welcome

Modern
nothing at the moment

They're neat, interesting, even beautiful, but I see four primary flaws.

First and foremost, they don't seem to be so much a "holder" as a "platform", and relatively rough, uneven ones at that. Second, they take up a lot of space on the table, and space is often at a premium when playing. Third, miniature terrain's relatively fragile, which combined with the bulk problem renders them less than portable. Fourth, the price point seems very high for something purely decorative with so many other issues.

I have no doubt there's probably a niche market for something like these, and I wish you the best of luck in selling these, but I don't think they're likely to catch on with a wider player base; there's just too many issues for most players to want to bother.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

I have to agree with several of the posts here;

They are very nice looking but unfortunately also large.  As it is I find space an issue when playing with friends (especially anything beyond 1vs1). The other issue is price;  I won't go so far to say they are overpriced.  I know how much work goes into a project like these (and you've clearly put a lot into them), so I'm sure your prices are fair.  

The problem is I think most people (myself included) would rather spend that kind of money on more cards.  I don't even like spending money on sleeves but do it to protect my cards.  If you could find a way to incorporate a smaller version without all the frills that also functioned as a deck box?  For example; a removable lid that had marks for Library and Graveyard.  I think that would have more widespread appeal.

I'm sure there are people who would be happy to pick something like this up, especially if they are generally the host of Kitchen Table Magic.  I wish you the best of luck and hope they work out for you.

Cheers.

Edit; Despite the fact that I think the size is an issue I also think they're too small.  What I mean is, despite how large they are, they can only hold either Library OR Graveyard.  I think if they could hold both it might help out a bit. 
I think they're brilliant! And while I agree with what people are saying about them being non-portable, I've already emailed a link to my better half to advise her that we need to get one of each :-)
Portability is the problem.  They are for that die hard magic player that regularly hosts games at his/her house.  You could cater to that market but M:tG is already somewhat of a niche market.

I think you'd have more success if you were to design your own playmats that actually hold cards in place if that's what you're going for.

Otherwise from an aesthtic viewpoint each of the holders need more distinctive personalities represenative of their colors.  

Even so it was a sight to see and glad you have so much passion for the game. 
lihimsidhe.com