Krenko, Mob Boss EDH

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
I got a Krenko, Mob Boss at the M13 pre-release, and decided to build a EDH deck with him as the general.  It is currently one of my best, if not my best, EDH deck.  Krenko makes a very good general.  All you need to do is play a 1 mana goblin turn 1, a Krenko's Command or something that makes 2 goblins turn 2, a 3 mana goblin that powers up all goblins like Goblin Chieftain turn 3, and then Krenko turn 4, and on turn 5 you can tap Krenko to make 5 more 1/1 goblin tokens at this point.  Krenko works even if you don't get this exact set-up though.  

Some combos are Goblin Assassin + Krenko and Mana Echoes + Comet Storm + Krenko.  The assassin combo is good to kill creatures.  First you tap Krenko to make a lot of 1/1 goblins, then the assassin makes everyone flip a coin for each goblin you put into play and sacrifice a creature for each tails.  You will only be sacrificing 1/1 tokens, while opponent's might have to sacrifice big creatures.  The Mana Echoes, Comet Storm, and Krenko combo can be a game ender.  You tap Krenko to make a lot of tokens , then Mana Echoes gives you 1 mana for each goblin in play for each goblin you put into play (example- I have 5 goblins including Krenko + Mana Echoes.  I tap Krenko to make 5 more.  Mana echoes triggers 5 times giving me 10 mana 5 times or 50 mana total.).  Then I cast a comet storm for game, or to kill some creatures.

The decks strengths are being able to block a lot of creatures, speed, and being easy to set up.  Weaknesses are having Krenko killed, and sometimes fast flying decks like Kaalia of the Vast.  There is some hexproof to proteck Krenko, but shroud does not work, as I have many cards that untap target creature.

Here is the deck list

General:  Krenko, Mob Boss

37 Lands

ME ANGRY!!! SO ME USE RED!!! When posting decklists or suggestions please link to the card. Do this with [c.]card name here[/c.] for single cards or [deck.] insert deck contents here [/deck.] for decks. don't include the periods in the brackets though.
You might consider Goblin War Strike and Mob Justice.  Both can be game winners with Krenko.
I haven't seen those cards before, but they look good.  I'll try to make room for them when I get them.
ME ANGRY!!! SO ME USE RED!!! When posting decklists or suggestions please link to the card. Do this with [c.]card name here[/c.] for single cards or [deck.] insert deck contents here [/deck.] for decks. don't include the periods in the brackets though.
I have a krenko deck and man he is one the most fun generals to play!  Okay so one Card that is sticking out that isn't in there is mob mentality.  It might seem bad but when you have 20+ tokens it becomes a very great card.
I'll try that too.  Any more suggestions?
Shared Animosity turns all of your gobbos into Piledrivers.
I will also try that.  What should I use to protect Krenko though?
I will also try that.  What should I use to protect Krenko though?

The usual, Lightning Greaves, Swiftfoot Boots, Mask of AvacynWhispersilk Cloak is my suggestion. 

Okay.  Would Darksteel Plate be any good also?
I'll do that.  Thanks for the help.
I didn't see Thousand-Year Elixir which is great with any general with a tapping ability
I'll try to add that too.

Does anybody know how much these suggested cards cost to buy online? 
If cost is an object, get Raging Goblin.  Quintessential turn-one drop.  Printed in something like 13 different sets 
I could use it, but I think I have enough 1 cost creatures.
Hmm.. this looks very similar to my Krenko EDH deck.. I will take a look at it when I get home and see if there are any cards I have in it that may help you...  You certainly gave me some good suggestions!
As far as lands, you should definitely be playing:

Hellion Crucible
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
Cavern of Souls
Hall of the Bandit Lord
Strip Mine

I'll post more suggestions later, when I'm around my own Krenko deck. You've got a good start. In my own deck, I prefer a heavy artifact influence, mainly because red is considered the 'weakest' of the mono colors to be playing in EDH.

Gamble is another card to consider, being that it's the only worthwhile tutor in the color red. Goblin Matron and Goblin Recruiter also help with this...

EDIT: As far as the artifacts go, you probably want most of the ones that interact with Krenko's ability (Rings of Brighthearth and Thousand-Year Elixir) come to mind . I have a pretty solid list of these that I'll contribute shortly.
Hmm.. this looks very similar to my Krenko EDH deck.. I will take a look at it when I get home and see if there are any cards I have in it that may help you...  You certainly gave me some good suggestions!

Glad I could help you out.

@ Wilsonia 

I'll try to add those lands
This is a Krenko deck I used in EDH for a while:

// Lands
25 [COM] Mountain (4)
1 [EVG] Forgotten Cave
1 [AVR] Cavern of Souls
1 [ZEN] Teetering Peaks
1 [M13] Hellion Crucible
1 [10E] Ghitu Encampment
1 [EVG] Goblin Burrows
1 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
1 [CHK] Hall of the Bandit Lord

// Creatures
1 [ZEN] Goblin Guide
1 [FUT] Magus of the Moon
1 [LE] Goblin Lookout
1 [ON] Goblin Sledder
1 [ON] Skirk Prospector
1 [UD] Goblin Marshal
1 [ZEN] Goblin Ruinblaster
1 [SHM] Horde of Boggarts
1 [ON] Reckless One
1 [EVG] Skirk Drill Sergeant
1 [MM] Squee, Goblin Nabob
1 [BOK] Patron of the Akki
1 [LE] Goblin Assassin
1 [ZEN] Goblin Bushwhacker
1 [AVR] Zealous Conscripts
1 [M12] Adaptive Automaton
1 [MBS] Goblin Wardriver
1 [SOM] Spikeshot Elder
1 [M12] Goblin Chieftain
1 [M13] Arms Dealer
1 [CHK] Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
1 [US] Goblin Matron
1 [ON] Goblin Pyromancer
1 [AP] Goblin Ringleader
1 [EVG] Siege-Gang Commander
1 [CFX] Voracious Dragon
1 [NE] Moggcatcher
1 [SC] Goblin Warchief
1 [LE] Gempalm Incinerator
1 [CHK] Zo-Zu the Punisher
1 [ON] Goblin Piledriver
1 [ON] Goblin Sharpshooter
1 [US] Goblin Lackey
1 [EVG] Ib Halfheart, Goblin Tactician
1 [ZEN] Warren Instigator
1 [EVG] Clickslither
1 [6E] Goblin King
1 [EVG] Mogg War Marshal
1 [MOR] Sensation Gorger
1 [VI] Goblin Recruiter
1 [SOM] Hoard-Smelter Dragon

// Spells
1 [GPX] Chrome Mox
1 [M13] Magmaquake
1 [AVR] Bonfire of the Damned
1 [WWK] Quest for the Goblin Lord
1 [LRW] Thousand-Year Elixir
1 [7E] Fire Diamond
1 [INN] Blasphemous Act
1 [FNM] Goblin Bombardment
1 [SOM] Koth of the Hammer
1 [8E] Blood Moon
1 [DIS] Demonfire
1 [AT] Goblin Warrens
1 [ZEN] Eldrazi Monument
1 [FNM] Lightning Greaves
1 [COM] Skullclamp
1 [A] Sol Ring
1 [MOR] Shared Animosity
1 [GP] Shattering Spree
1 [DPA] Rage Reflection
1 [AT] Goblin Grenade
1 [SOM] Mimic Vat
1 [LRW] Boggart Shenanigans
1 [MR] Goblin Charbelcher
1 [BOK] In the Web of War
1 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [M13] Krenko, Mob Boss

I gave it up, though, because I found it was a little boring.

All my games were basically about digging through my Goblins or tutoring up Goblin Ringleader, playing it, stacking my entire deck in the appropriate order to go infinite the following turn.

Example: 4 Mountains, Goblin Chieftain + Skirk Prospector + 4 other Goblins allows you to go infinite. You play Krenko off four Mountains, tap him to make 7 1/1 Goblin tokens. You sacrifice Krenko and 5 tokens to Skirk Prospector to get 6 red mana. With the 6 red mana, you recast Krenko from the Command Zone. You're now back where you started, only now you have Krenko + Chieftain + Skirk + 4 Goblins + 2 Tokens. Tap Krenko to make a new set of 9 tokens. Sacrifice 7 of them and Krenko, recast Krenko, make 11 tokens, etc. and you get infinite red mana and infinite Goblins with Haste to attack and kill.

If you have Warchief instead of Chieftain, you can start with one fewer Goblin.

It sounds complicated, but I got this combo on Turn 4 or 5 about every second game on average, which made it immensely boring to me. 
There is always this article for inspiration : www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

I took couple idea from there for my own krenko deck.