Stonebrow, Krosan Hero

12 posts / 0 new
Last post

This was a deck that I originally was going to build for one of my friends who was interested in getting into EDH. However, I ended up liking it too much and decided to add it to my own collection XD

It's 100% pure, unadulterated Gruul aggro. No real combos or anything. Just give your stuff haste and trample, and go to town on your opponents' faces. 97 of my 99 are permanents to maximize the effects of Genesis Wave and Primal Surge.

The gameplan is very simple:

1) Ramp
2) Drop fatties
3) Turn stuff sideways
4) ????
5) PROFIT!

3DH4LIF3

Fervor
Gruul War Plow
Decimate
Rain of Thorns
Deadwood Treefolk

Gruul War Plow is already in. 

I completely forgot about Decimate. I'll probably swap out Hull Breach if I can find one.

Not really sold on Rain of Thorns, especially since it doesn't blow up creatures. I feel like I already have an adequate amount of artifact/enchantment removal. I don't really care about blowing up lands either.

Deadwood Treefolk was a consideration when I was looking for other useful Treefolk to potentially make Treefolk Harbinger worth running.

Stonebrow but not one Kamahl? Yea... I'm one of those who loves the lore tie-ins. Anyway, Kamahl, Fist of Krosa, fits this deck regardless of whether you want the Red Kamahl in. Green Kamahl + Aggravated Assault can give infinite mana/power & toughness/attacks (Turning 5 lands into creatures then activating the Aggravated Assault. Heck, Breath of Fury  could achieve the same thing if you are willing to lose a creature per attack, but Utvara Hellkite can help with that by spawning a new flyer every time you attack. Also Genesis is always a must for me in Green and Wort, the Raidmother can let you get the most out of your removal. Anyway, love the deck.

I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

My Current EDH Decks: Rhys the Redeemed Token Elves | Wort, Boggart Auntie R/B Goblins | Brion Stoutarm | Rakdos, Lord of Riots | Tajic, Weapon with Mass Destruction | Jor-Kadeen the Prevailer | Melek, Izzet Paragon | Heliod Enchantments | Prossh Tokens and Sac | Captain Sisay Legendary Toolbox Beatdown | Marath Beast Tribal | Marath Token Combos | Horde of Notions Elemental Tribal | Zirilian Mono Red Dragon Tribal

Yes... I have 14 built decks used regularly, including 3 Boros Colored Decks. Don't judge me. =P

It would be easier to assess the list if it was in order by types and not function.

3DH4LIF3

Stonebrow but not one Kamahl? Yea... I'm one of those who loves the lore tie-ins. Anyway, Kamahl, Fist of Krosa, fits this deck regardless of whether you want the Red Kamahl in. Green Kamahl + Aggravated Assault can give infinite mana/power & toughness/attacks (Turning 5 lands into creatures then activating the Aggravated Assault. Heck, Breath of Fury  could achieve the same thing if you are willing to lose a creature per attack, but Utvara Hellkite can help with that by spawning a new flyer every time you attack. Also Genesis is always a must for me in Green and Wort, the Raidmother can let you get the most out of your removal. Anyway, love the deck.

I honestly don't know that much about MTG lore, but that's something cool to know. I picked Stonebrow because he was pretty much the only potential Gruul general that appealed to me for an aggro deck. Borborgymos was the other I was considering, but I wasn't digging the 7 CMC with double red and double green.

I've always been on the fence about Kamahl, Fist of Krosa. I was planning on doing mean things with him like blowing out opponents by animating their lands and following up with Blasphemous Act, Chain Reaction, Savage Twister, Starstorm, etc.. 

Didn't know about that Aggravated Assault combo either. That kind of puts Kamahl up a notch. Additional combat phases cards were originally in this deck, but I ended up taking them out to make room for other stuff. But if I ever get myself a Sword of Feast and Famine, I'll definitely be trying to fit Hellkite Charger, Bear Umbra, Savage Beating, and Aggravated Assault back in.

The only reason Genesis isn't in here is because I don't have one unfortunately. Haven't seen anyone with it up for trade. And at about $13, he's out of my budget at the moment.

I never considered Wort, the Raidmother since this deck is pretty light on instants and sorceries, but you do bring up a good point. 
Decklist updated.

Got my hands on some new stuff, namely Primal Surge and changed by deck accordingly. 
In your Trample enablers it should be Primal Rage not Primal Surge.  I would add in a Soul of the Harvest over the Hystrodon.  I do like the idea of Primal Surge in this deck.  I also have a Stonebrow, Krosan Hero commander deck and it is pretty close to what you posted.
In your Trample enablers it should be Primal Rage not Primal Surge.  I would add in a Soul of the Harvest over the Hystrodon.  I do like the idea of Primal Surge in this deck.  I also have a Stonebrow, Krosan Hero commander deck and it is pretty close to what you posted.

Ahhh...Good catch. I'll fix that.

Hystrodon is an absolute MVP in this deck. Nets me a ridiculous amount of advantage everytime he's hit the board and stuck. Morph also lets him come down and start swinging much faster. And in multiplayer, there's almost always someone open to eat a 3/4 trampling body, 5/6 if he's still around when Stonebrow comes out to play.

Ahhh...Good catch. I'll fix that.

Hystrodon is an absolute MVP in this deck. Nets me a ridiculous amount of advantage everytime he's hit the board and stuck. Morph also lets him come down and start swinging much faster. And in multiplayer, there's almost always someone open to eat a 3/4 trampling body, 5/6 if he's still around when Stonebrow comes out to play.

He's your only morph so when they catch-on he won't stick.  The Soul of the Harvest next cards even when he doesn't have a target to hit.  Play a dude get a card back.
In Hystrodon's defense, I don't think it's about the element of surprise. Its more about getting him on the field a turn sooner (assuming he is drawn by turn 3, played then you have nothing else to play on turn 4 so you can flip him). Hystrodon probably isn't worth using single removal on for most games (Whereas SotH might being his is so much bigger), so that 3 damage trampler probably does net a lot more cards than one would think in an EDH game, just based on some of the games I have played recently.

I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

My Current EDH Decks: Rhys the Redeemed Token Elves | Wort, Boggart Auntie R/B Goblins | Brion Stoutarm | Rakdos, Lord of Riots | Tajic, Weapon with Mass Destruction | Jor-Kadeen the Prevailer | Melek, Izzet Paragon | Heliod Enchantments | Prossh Tokens and Sac | Captain Sisay Legendary Toolbox Beatdown | Marath Beast Tribal | Marath Token Combos | Horde of Notions Elemental Tribal | Zirilian Mono Red Dragon Tribal

Yes... I have 14 built decks used regularly, including 3 Boros Colored Decks. Don't judge me. =P

In Hystrodon's defense, I don't think it's about the element of surprise. Its more about getting him on the field a turn sooner (assuming he is drawn by turn 3, played then you have nothing else to play on turn 4 so you can flip him). Hystrodon probably isn't worth using single removal on for most games (Whereas SotH might being his is so much bigger), so that 3 damage trampler probably does net a lot more cards than one would think in an EDH game, just based on some of the games I have played recently.

Yup. Seems like most people see me playing Gruul aggro and are only concerned about dealing with my fatties, and my utility creatures just fly under the radar and put in some work for me.