Cheap Mono-Black in Standard? How well would it do?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was thinking of starting off my enter into paper magic with a cheap deck. I like a lot of the cards in standard, and some of the black ones seem pretty good for the price.

All of these cards are cheap, and are pretty decent. Unless you're playing against complete control, you probably can't go wrong with removal, so I was thinking about these cards:

Knight of Infamy
Murder
Mutilate (doesn't seem like there's enough control cards, so probably won't work. Seems mighty powerful for $1.50 a card though...)
Sign in Blood
Vampire Nighthawk
Tragic Slip
Diregraf Ghoul
Tribute to Hunger
Desecration Demon
Thrill-Kill Assassin

How would a deck do if it were playing these cards? One could make a deck with all of these cards for like $40, which seems appealing to me. Welcome any thoughts if it would be feasible, or alternatives.

Thanks!
Card prices aren't based on actual power level, more on demand. Hence why some really powerful cards are really cheap, and lands are stupid expense.

Mono-Black isn't a terrible deck to start with for a start.

40 dollars is a bit of a stretch, but far from impossible. Heartless Summoning is a rather cheap card that can provide a lot of 'weaker' cards a much needed speed boost.
Niche (a regualr on these forums) is a big fan of mono-black control (and mono-black in general) and I think there might be a thread in the Standard Deck Help forums that he's posted a bit on.
Another option to consider would be an aggressive deck-using Rakdos Cackeler, Gravecrawler (a tad expensive), Diregraf Ghoul, and Knight of Infamy backed up by things like Geralf's Messenger (another semi-expensive card), Desecration Demon, Thrill-Kill Assassin, and Bump in the Night to provide another punch. This is probably the weaker, but simplest option of the three I mentioned.

Whatever you do though, Vampire Nighthawk is one of the best black cards you can play. And don't forget the card Ultimate Price, as its a good removal spell. 

(at)MrEnglish22

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, Ultimate Price is another good card - I had my eye on that one as well.

And Vampire Nighthawk is certainly a great card. With cards like him, Mutilate, Desecration Demon and cheap removal spells, there is certain a core for a control deck. I think the one thing that is missing is direct damage/life gain spells. I'll be sure to find Niche's postings to help with the control aspect, as I would rather play control than aggro.

$40 isn't a hard limit, but I don't want to spend $300, which is very easy to do in this game If I'm going to spend $10 on a card, I'd like it to be something I can get a lot of use out of, like a land or a plainswalker.
If you're looking for mono-black, look at Desecration Demon some don't like because of his "drawback."
As said before Vampire Nighthawk is a really good card. Playing Black is all about power in the order of sacrifice or always remember your Life is also a resource you can draw from such as Sign in Blood or can also look at Necropotence, I really like the color but it really isn't strong right now without splashing another color such as white or green. But that'd defeat the purpose of mono-black. Hope this helps.
BR is just a better mono black

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Which also costs more. At least this guy gave us some paramaters, and realizes he won't be getting 1st place at a SCGO or anything with his deck.

(at)MrEnglish22

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, Ultimate Price is another good card - I had my eye on that one as well.

And Vampire Nighthawk is certainly a great card. With cards like him, Mutilate, Desecration Demon and cheap removal spells, there is certain a core for a control deck. I think the one thing that is missing is direct damage/life gain spells. I'll be sure to find Niche's postings to help with the control aspect, as I would rather play control than aggro.

$40 isn't a hard limit, but I don't want to spend $300, which is very easy to do in this game If I'm going to spend $10 on a card, I'd like it to be something I can get a lot of use out of, like a land or a plainswalker.

If this is the case, invest in some of the Return to Ravnica (and soon to be Gatecrash) "shocklands" that have two basic land types. They can be played in a lot of decks (as long as you are in those colors you can play them) and will keep their value after rotating because they are popular in Modern.

(at)MrEnglish22

Which also costs more. At least this guy gave us some paramaters, and realizes he won't be getting 1st place at a SCGO or anything with his deck.

well.... i can't condone any mono colored decks right now, budget or not.  guildgates and evolving wilds.  get it done.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Needs more pack rat :D

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
Much as I like black, I've pretty much given up on it in the current Standard. It has too many weaknesses, and its strengths all come with drawbacks. For a budget starting deck, I'd look at doing a Humans deck. There is a lot of synergy there.

well.... i can't condone any mono colored decks right now, budget or not.  guildgates and evolving wilds.  get it done.

I guess that's fair, but I played a mono-red deck tonight that had me on the ropes for a bit. Then I cast Centaur Healer, Trostani, and Thragtusk, in that order.

Needs more pack rat :D

Seconded. 

Much as I like black, I've pretty much given up on it in the current Standard. It has too many weaknesses, and its strengths all come with drawbacks. For a budget starting deck, I'd look at doing a Humans deck. There is a lot of synergy there.

What are the drawbacks? Can't block? That doesn't really matter in an aggressive deck.
I'm trying hard to come up with drawbacks other than semi-awkward mana on turns 2-3 and expensive cards, but am falling short. 

(at)MrEnglish22

I would've thought mono green would've been a better choice. Look at Kiblers GB list for starters. U should be able to afford 4 Predator Oozes, and 4 Ulvenwald Trackers. Green has a lot of hidden treasures that can help with the meta
Mono- or do seem to be the best choices for budget decks right now. is probably next.

Red-deck-wins is playable in Standard, but I think Rakdos might make a better budget deck as RDW does typically use a few rares that one won't find in the $1-box.

Something derived from the Creep and Conquer Event deck is worth considering.
I would've thought mono green would've been a better choice. Look at Kiblers GB list for starters. U should be able to afford 4 Predator Oozes, and 4 Ulvenwald Trackers. Green has a lot of hidden treasures that can help with the meta

"Can" and "Want to" are pretty different. I'm sure to pick up some Overgrown Tombs in the next month or so before they start going back up, but not my top priority right now.

Mono-Red is definitely a good cheap option. BG aggro is kinda cheap, and Kibler's list has some glaring weaknesses that it just can't beat. 

(at)MrEnglish22