Exploit: opponent stops time and continuously cancels an instant until my time runs out

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
I played a game on Xbox live yesterday where I cast Overrun in the pre-combat phase and in reaction my opponent stopped time and continuously cast and then cancelled Pongify (I saw the Pongify card come out and then cancel and go back, over and over) until my time ran out. When my time ran out it flipped straight over to his go and I lost my turn and my Overrun.

Is this a known exploit? I had a quick look through the Bugs thread but couldn't see it, but I might have missed it. Seems pretty game breaking.

After a protracted game I still ended up beating him and sent him a message saying that I was sorry and I understand he has severe emotional problems and that I hoped he got better one day. I don't remember his name but I should be able to look it up when I get home and I'll add it to this thread.
This is a known exploit and let hope they fix it in Duels 2014.

IMAGE(https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/eb11/anyarpxhyntrzn86g.jpg)

It shouldn't happen like that if memory serves. Usually when an opponent does an action in you turn, your timer refills with the time they took once they've finished to prevent abuse like that. I'm wondering whether he did anything else to aid it? (or if my memory is wrong here?)

I agree it's deeply pathetic though. How anyone has any sense of pride or achievement behaving like that is far beyond me.

Most of the time this is true, but I've noticed sometimes the timer doesn't refill for some reason. It's not nearly as bad as it was in 2012, but I've had this happen to me a couple times too, not sure what causes the timer to not refill...
It shouldn't happen like that if memory serves. Usually when an opponent does an action in you turn, your timer refills with the time they took once they've finished to prevent abuse like that.

Maybe the constant cancelling is what works around this, maybe the time it takes for the animation of the card coming out doesn't count towards his action timer, so when he forces the game to just play that animation over and over his action doesn't add up any time.

To be honest I almost wanted to thank him, after a very long game (his Wolf & Owls against my Ancient Wilds bounce engine) finally winning it was possibly the most satisfying victory I'ver ever had ^ - ^ \/

Nope it still works.

The timer does refill, but only up to a certain percentage. Therefore they can keep flashing, only this time it takes a little longer. I had it done to me in 2HG.

I literally went into my kitchen, microwaved/retrieved my steak, seasoned it, mashed some potatoes - came back, he was still there flashing away, went back to my kitchen, came back to living room, sat ate, finished eating - he was still flashing, I was curious if it could be done and in no rush. I had to eat anyways and we were going to win anyways I milled them out of cards. All in all it took around 25-30min.

They also use this flash exploit when theyre teammate is about to cast a spell and notce you pause to try and use your cancel/counter - thus, triggering the sync/lag error and "wallah" you were not able to counter.

Sean if you have a exploit list. These things should be in there for devs to see
Don't post names.
It's a good way to get the post deleted and the thread locked.
I'd rather the thread be around so Devs can view it.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

The simple answer is to quit out and call it a win. It really doesn't bother me what the screen says when I know the real result.
Having to play the instant would be a silly rule, as i'm sure we've all flashed one out and reconsidered at the last second before, but some kind of limit on how many times they can do it would work, and be a far better option. Also, you should be able to set the game so that if somebody tries to instant, you have to unpause yourself before the game moves on. It would be slower, but stop people exploiting online lag to prevent you from cancelling a spell.

Has anybody ever had the game frozen because somebody paused once for no reason? My partner does this all the damn time, pauses the game for me to play a card I don't want to play, then unpauses and bam, the game refuses to move on.  
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
+1 there Kar.
Happens a lot. Newb doesn't know what you played, pause once, maybe pause again to try and develop an answer and the you get the neverending white bar.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Yeah, but your opponent doesn't, and that's what matters to me. I feel compelled to teach the small minded a lesson and force that YOU LOSE screen in their face so they reconsider the effectiveness of their griefing.

Nothing better than making someone realise they wasted 30 mins of their life pressing a button while you made lunch and still lost. It also has the benefit that those griefers will quit lobbies when they see me in future as they know I'm not a soft touch.

Lol.  This reminds me of another card game on PS3, called The Eye of Judgment.  Before they patched it, there was no time limit on player turns, so if you were about to win, the other guy could just sit there on his turn, and do nothing, waiting for you to quit.  I was playing this one guy, and he decided to do exactly that.  When I was about to win, he refused to finish his turn.  After sitting there for 10 minutes, I simply left my PS3 on and went to play something on my PC.  An hour later the guy was still there.  It was Sunday night, so I just went to sleep.  Got up in the morning - he was still there.  Went to work, came back - yup, still there.  It wasn't until Tuesday that I saw the winning screen after he quit.  I honestly would've no problem waiting another week.  I wonder if he just gave up in the end, or his internet/power went out.

I will go to great lenghts to see justice done .

Yeah, but your opponent doesn't, and that's what matters to me. I feel compelled to teach the small minded a lesson and force that YOU LOSE screen in their face so they reconsider the effectiveness of their griefing.

Nothing better than making someone realise they wasted 30 mins of their life pressing a button while you made lunch and still lost. It also has the benefit that those griefers will quit lobbies when they see me in future as they know I'm not a soft touch.

Lol.  This reminds me of another card game on PS3, called The Eye of Judgment.  Before they patched it, there was no time limit on player turns, so if you were about to win, the other guy could just sit there on his turn, and do nothing, waiting for you to quit.  I was playing this one guy, and he decided to do exactly that.  When I was about to win, he refused to finish his turn.  After sitting there for 10 minutes, I simply left my PS3 on and went to play something on my PC.  An hour later the guy was still there.  It was Sunday night, so I just went to sleep.  Got up in the morning - he was still there.  Went to work, came back - yup, still there.  It wasn't until Tuesday that I saw the winning screen after he quit.  I honestly would've no problem waiting another week.  I wonder if he just gave up in the end, or his internet/power went out.

I will go to great lenghts to see justice done .

LOL, I hate those people too, I just go do other things or jump on my PC and play one of those games and check back to see when they quit the match.  

I have a 100% win record in the "who can leave the console on longest" metagame.

LOL.  Someone should sig that.  Mine's too cluttered with troll quotes though.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

This is probably obvious to most of you, but for those of you who don't know, just put the offender on your block list, and you'll never see them again.  If enough people do this, then theoretically the sad sap will have no-one to play with.  

As far as rankings go, on your way to the top of the leaderboards your going to play alot of games, and develop a reputation.  In order to get to really high rankings at the end, your gonna have to play alot of games against other high ranked players, and once they realise he/she cheats, they will never play him, and he won't continue to progress.

Come to think about it, I've never encountered a cheater that was very good at dotp, so there's that.  Just block them, out of sight/out of mind.

Stevo, aaronjoncheney is a PS3 player so it may be different than XBOX.
I just had a couple of guys try to force a spell passed my team mates counter by flashing an instant. Luckily we were quick enough to pause it again and cast the counter. I just don't understand some people.
I just had a couple of guys try to force a spell passed my team mates counter by flashing an instant. Luckily we were quick enough to pause it again and cast the counter. I just don't understand some people.

I'd never seen this discussed before it happened to me but I've now seen 4 or 5 comments in here from the last week or so that  make me concerned that this has hit some kind of awareness critical mass and is suddenly becoming widespread.
Cheaters were way worse in the previous dotp titles than this one, (for me at least..)
People who pause the game during your turn for an in-definate amount of time is by far the  most common method of cheating I've come across.  

For me: I just quit, and move on.. it doesn't count s a "loss" to you, so your gaining play-time in exchange for a probable/certain win.  Sucks, but 9 outa 10 times he'll wait you out for a really long time.  
If you win 2/3 games you play, think of how many of YOUR WINS he's robbing you of while you wait on his punk a**.
"Let the baby have his bottle" 

Kudos to those of you who do challenge their wait game though.   
It counts as a loss on xbox :-(
It counts as a loss on xbox :-(

Doesn't it count as a loss on all systems?