Need an opinion on this question

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have never played over level 21 until this current campaign and also I am still just learning the game (after 3 years). So I have the opportunity , through Secrets of Belial feat, to gain 1 utility powerfrom any class in the game and it has to be level 22 or under.

I have searched literally every utility power in the list it gave me from every class. I found a few below that I am considering. I found tons that gave bonuses to defenses or pulled you out of combat or gave teleports etc.. I don't think I will be going with any of those. I think it might be more important to go with game changing stuff like saves. I also tried to find things that were not one shot deals.. Stuff like stances, or zones that can either be sustained or last til end of encounter.

Below is my list, would you add anything to it or out of the list which would you think would be more important if you are headed into some huge epic battles against possibly Lolth or another of the Gods. bahamut has been in the game since the beginning, but I don't think we will fight him, maybe though.

Transcendent dance:  Effect: Until the end of the encounter, you gain a bonus to speed and saving throws equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum 1). 

Fate-Spurned Foe:Effect: Until the end of the encounter, any effect that a save can end that you place on an enemy causes a –2 penalty to saving throws against the effect. 

Purify: (I am thinking this one might go well for my MBA granting Shaman who also has reincarnate champion and I never could figure out what 3rd race to pick, so teifling and grab secrets of belial and boom) Effect: Every effect that a save can end is removed from each target. Close burst 5

Call Angelic Shield: (My intel mod is 10 so this is big) Effect: You gain a bonus to all defenses equal to your Intelligence modifier. Each time an attack misses you, the bonus is reduced by 1. This effect lasts until the end of the encounter or until the bonus is 0.

Elemental Rift:
Effect: The burst creates a zone that lasts until the end of your next turn. When an enemy enters the zone or starts its turn there, it is slowed until the end of its next turn and pulled 1 square toward the center of the zone. If a creature ends its turn in the zone, it is removed from play (save nds).Sustain Minor: The zone persists until the end of your next turn  (I can see this being used as a tactic against multiple difficult foes considering I slide and push each round it could come in handy often.)

Boundless: Effect: End any effects on you that impose the following conditions: grabbed, immobilized, restrained, slowed, and petrified. Until the end of the encounter, you gain a +5 power bonus to saving throws against any effects that include those conditions. 

Refire the Forge: Effect: Until the stance ends, you regain hit points equal to your Dexterity or Intelligence modifier each time you hit an enemy with an attack. (intel mod 10) 

Temple of Seclusion: Effect: Until the stance ends, when any creature ends its turn adjacent to you, you can teleport that creature 3 squares as a free action.  (placement is important especially when the guy has reah 3 and triggered immediate actions if you enter a square adjacent. This way I position it for free.)

Confounding Utterance:  Effect: Until the end of the encounter, when any enemy makes a melee attack roll against you, it must roll twice and use the lower result.

Divine Aegis: Effect: Until the stance ends, you and any allies within 2 squares of you gain a +2 bonus to all defenses. (this is untyoed and extends to everyone so I think this would be ebtter for my shaman maybe, but then we have that same "Too Hard to hit " problem)

Bolstering Warding:  Effect: At the end of your turn, before making saving throws, remove one effect on yourself that a save can end.

Forbidden Ground: Effect: The blast creates an area of forbidden ground. Until the end of the encounter, whenever an enemy enters the area, you or an ally can charge that enemy or make a melee basic attack against it as an immediate reaction.  (my guy is a charger, but how often is the guy going to move and will I pick the right spot or will he just avoid the area? Too situational?)

Aura of Grandeur: 
Effect: You activate an aura 3 that lasts until the end of your next turn. Enemies in the aura cannot make opportunity attacks against you or your allies. Whenever an enemy ends its turn in the aura, you can use a free action to slide that enemy up to 2 squares to another square in the aura.Sustain Minor:      (I guess my question here is all the end game guys I looked at had triggered actions of immediate reactions or interupts when you moved next to them. I didn't want to look too closely and ruin the surprise of what we are fighting against, but I didn't notice any actual OA's?)

So what do you think? This is kind of genneric in that it really could apply to any type of character. I just don't know what is more important end game? Seems that saving against huge DOT's and status effects might be important. But making them not save against their effects mgiht be important also. I can only get one of these unfortunately.

This is so general as to be unanswerable.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Well, the question is, in your opinion, what is most important in end game fights? out of the above..
Well, the question is, in your opinion, what is most important in end game fights? out of the above..

In general, there are two questions to ask here:
What utility are you likely to get rid of?
What's the purpose of the utility to what you'd like to do in combat?
Why do you want a Daily over an Encounter Utility? 
Question for you....

How long in rounds does your combat encounters last?

If that answer is 1.5 to 2 rounds then I would strongly suggest the Bard utility... Mantle of Unity

This is assuming you are focusing on strengthening the party.

If you are looking for you.. there are many choices, it just depends on what kind of capability you want to capture     

In general, there are two questions to ask here:
What utility are you likely to get rid of? Well, that depends on what level the power is that I choose. If I choose a level 16 power then I have more choices. if I choose a level 22 then I am very limited.

What's the purpose of the utility to what you'd like to do in combat? Well, that is the big question. I am having trouble deciding what is most important. Basically we are going to go against Probably Bahamut or Lolth or/and some high level demons.
Why do you want a Daily over an Encounter Utility? Daily because they grant bonuses over the entire encounter rather than just one shot. I found a couple encounter-wide encounter powers, but they weren't all that good.

Question for you....

How long in rounds does your combat encounters last?  this will be end game encounters with large groups of demon's and god-like creatures. So they won't be short.

When making a new thread, for the love of god at least include the basic information surrounding the question you are asking (which is exactly what by the way?):

- Character (race, level, post build, this shouldnt be news to you).

- Role or purpose.

- Party makeup.

- Specific question (your post is just a list of utility powers, with no real purpose).
Go to every handbook.

Go to the utility post in every handbook.

See if any powers are marked Gold. Read explanation for why those powers are marked Gold. Do those reasons apply to your class? Add to potential list of utilities.

Nothing appeals to you?

Go to every handbook.

Go to utility post in every handbook.

See if any powers are marked Sky Blue. Read explanation for why those powers are marked Sky Blue. Do any of those reasons apply to your class? Add to potential list of utilities.

If you haven't found something worth taking over an in-class utility at this point, don't take Secrets of Belial. Though if Int is your attack stat, having a flat +1 to every attack in the Druid utility Serpent's Cunning is probably just a gimme.
If you're looking for something encounter changing, I'd go for a power like Root Gate, Dimensional Shortcut, Flight of Dragons, or the like. If you need an emergency button, something like Ode to the Daring is nice, Medicines of Many forms is handy. If you're looking for dealing with personal epic difficulties, Clearheaded is a fine choice that gets a lot of use. It just depends on what you need, what you already have in your party, etc. I don't think you're going to find one right answer.
Did we not just last week have this entire thing about MeleeECIs epic character that broke a game ?

And yet you have never played about 21, and you do not know which of these utilities would/could possibly be good. Please take Alcestis advice in post #8.

Only by reading and trying can you learn.

p.s.: for future posts, advice in post #7 also strongly recommended.     
Here's an older thread asking the same thing.

I agree you shouldn't be taking something like Mantle of Unity if this is your shaman.  Something proactive like Climactic Chord, Spur the Cycle, or maybe Borrowed Confidence if you have stuff that you really need to land.

Don't look at defensive things. Don't look at healing things. Look at things that help your party kill faster.

If this isn't your shaman, well things that help your party kill faster are still really good.
Its a wonder we fall for such trolling
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Who's trolling?
Trolls trolling trolls.
Trolls trolling trolls.

Its the only instance where pimping rides falls in the same category with vats of acid.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Trolls trolling trolls.

Its the only instance where pimping rides falls in the same category with vats of acid.

But why would you want to put rides in vats of acid?? Undecided

It'd improve the looks of an 80's Mustang, that's for sure.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
Go to every handbook.

Go to the utility post in every handbook.

See if any powers are marked Gold. Read explanation for why those powers are marked Gold. Do those reasons apply to your class? Add to potential list of utilities.

Nothing appeals to you?

Go to every handbook.

Go to utility post in every handbook.

See if any powers are marked Sky Blue. Read explanation for why those powers are marked Sky Blue. Do any of those reasons apply to your class? Add to potential list of utilities.

If you haven't found something worth taking over an in-class utility at this point, don't take Secrets of Belial. Though if Int is your attack stat, having a flat +1 to every attack in the Druid utility Serpent's Cunning is probably just a gimme.

This. You've proven you're willing to put in the work (you checked out every utility power), so this should be easy for you. Good luck finding something!

A couple of good utilities from the Psion's list are Dimensional Shortcut (already mentioned), Dream Traveler for ultimate protection (if you're just granting attacks, being weakened is a non-issue) or Through the Walls so everyone can ignore any terrain issues the DM throws at you. 
Who's trolling?

Well you could just be thread spamming because you are bored. i have not learned anything so far from any of your threads but they have been entertaining.
Who's trolling?

Well you could just be thread spamming because you are bored. i have not learned anything so far from any of your threads but they have been entertaining.

My question is pretty specific. I don't know what is important in epic tier. I laid out a very well researched group of utility powers and asked for opinions about which one YOU think is most valuable in YOUR experience. There is no right or wrong, there is no optimized answer. I only asked what people thought was most important out of the group I researched. I don't see how that is trolling in any way. It is a basic question asked on the proper forum in the proper format with the proper amount of research done on my own.
If you would stop replying to accusations of trolling and start replying to actual answers to your question, you'd also get a lot more positive responses.
Actually, this isn't the proper forum for that question, as the question has nothing to do with optimization, you're just fishing for an opinion to confirm the choice you've already actually made. Stop talking yourself out of taking whichever power you like best, just take it, play with it for a while, and if it doesn't work out in the manner you wanted, retrain. And I'm not saying this to be dismissive, I'm saying this to be instructive - this is precisely what most of us do when picking utilities where there's no mathmatically superior choice or when picking between survivability, mobility, and offense.

I can also speak from experience as a Guide author that sometimes what appears to be the most useful choice ends up being less practical in gameplay, and that's not really something you can go to other people to find out, for a specific example, I used to think Healing Figurine was amazing, but that was only because I had access to an extra Standard Action 1/day that I couldn't use to make an attack; playing without that action, Healing Figurine just became a Short Rest surgless heal, I used it all of once in combat for 2 levels before trading it out for something else.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.