Question about counters

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
If you Remand your own Supreme Verdict, does it return to hand?
No. Remand clearly says it only returns the card to its owner's hand if it's countered, which Supreme Verdict can't be.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
No.

Remand only returns the spell to its owner's hand if the spell is successfully countered. Remand will fail to counter supreme verdict.
Ok thanks. Initially I thought "If you do" means "If Remand is successfully activated and a spell is targeted" (aka Remand itself is not countered), not "If the spell is succesfully countered".
Just to clarify, if you use something like Venser, Shaper Savant to return a Supreme Verdict to its owner's hand, the Supreme Verdict won't resolve. You can similarly work around uncounterability using Mindbreak Trap.
Ok thanks. Initially I thought "If you do" means "If Remand is successfully activated and a spell is targeted" (aka Remand itself is not countered), not "If the spell is succesfully countered".

No, it means that the return to hand clause is contingent upon the spell being countered. Note that so long as Remand does resolve (regardless of the target being countered) you still get to draw a card. You could Remand any uncounterable spell and draw a card this way. Note that if the Remand itself is countered that you do not get to draw a card.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.