U/G/W/r - Control

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
this feels close to calling the red splash a stretch.

i don't know if you can really get away with the counterfluxes, but maybe since you only have the 2. 

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

this feels close to calling the red splash a stretch.

i don't know if you can really get away with the counterfluxes, but maybe since you only have the 2. 

That's fair, I guess it's U/G/W/R. I'm thinking of cutting the Alchemist's Refuge for a 2nd Kessig.
It's funny, when I read Reid Duke's article where he said he felt like the elixir was unneccessary because he won all the long games anyway I wondered if trying Wolf Run over Drownyard might be an idea worth exploring.  For reference, this is the list I've been testing the last few days:

26 Lands
4 Hallowed Fountain
3 Rootbound Crag
4 Sunpetal Grove
4 Temple Garden
4 Steam Vents
4 Sulfur Falls
1 Alchemist's Refuge
2 Kessig Wolf Run

8 Creatures
Thragtusk
3 Augur of Bolas    
1 Restoration Angel

26 Other Cards
3 Pillar of Flame
4 Farseek
4 Azorius Charm
Think Twice
2 Counterflux
1 Amass the Components
3 Supreme Verdict
1 Terminus
4 Sphinx's Revelation

Sideboard
2 Dispel
1 Pithing Needle
2 Rest in Peace
1 Elixir of Immortality
2 Dissipate
1 Detention Sphere
2 Rhox Faithmender
2 Jace, Memory Adept
2 Terminus

The manabase is ambitious, I'll concede that point to start with.  Gatecrash duals should help though, and maybe there's just a better way to build it.  I have been impressed in the first half dozen or so matches I've played with the deck though.  I do like where you're heading as well, Grizzley.
Yeah I need to do more testing, however I'm thinking about playing something like this for GP Atlantic City so I am planning on focusing on this for the next few weeks. It's funny the manabase you would think is brutal, but so far it really hasn't been. Farseek is awesome, and we are running 12 different duals to search out.

How do you feel your creature count is? Do you have enough that you are able to take advantage of Kessigs?

Yours is pretty much just splashing red for Pillars and kessig right? It looks like your game against aggro must be pretty solid, how do you do against the Bant mirror and U/W and U/W/R flash/midrange? Also I saw Reid played Augers and you are as well, how do you like them? EVERY single time I try testing them, I just constantly whiff and I rage about how much I hate that card haha.

I haven't really played enough matches yet to judge individual matchups, but the B/R aggro and RDW matchups do seem a bit easier than they were with Bant +Drownyards.  I try and save my Pillars for problem cards in those decks, not just blow them on Rakdos Cacklers or things that don't matter.  The creature count has been ok because I see so many cards off of Revelations and tusk is virtually 2 creatures anyway.  I could see adding another Resto Angel though, or taking your approach and going for more value creatures.  The interaction between Rhox Faithmender and Wolf Run is hilarious though.  It even lets you use Wolf Run defensively.  Eat your guy, gain 10 life.  Funny stuff.

I would imagine the Bant matchup is tough.  Drownyard wins the mirror more often than Wolf Run I'm guessing.  Need to play UWR Flash before I can say on that one.  Those matches always seem to come down to who can resolve their Revelations.  That's why I'm opting for Counterflux over Dissipate in the maindeck.  We'll see how that goes I guess.

One thing I haven't liked about the deck is that Revelation and Wolf Run compete for mana at times.  I guess that falls under the umbrella of "decisions" though.     

Personally, I think 23 is the magic number for Augur in terms of instant/sorcery count.  Whenever I go much below that I hate myself.

Enchantments:
1 Detention Sphere
1 Oblivion Ring
???

Hope you don't need them too often, and when you do you have them.
Enchantments: 1 Detention Sphere 1 Oblivion Ring ??? Hope you don't need them too often, and when you do you have them.

I wanted 2 O-Ring effects main. While D-sphere is better theoretically against an aggo deck, against Bant and Esper, my SB cards of pithing needle and witchbane orb will really only be removed if they resolve by a d-sphere and I want to be able to get rid of it.
I wanted 2 O-Ring effects main. While D-sphere is better theoretically against an aggo deck, against Bant and Esper, my SB cards of pithing needle and witchbane orb will really only be removed if they resolve by a d-sphere and I want to be able to get rid of it.

This is a useful factoid: For any card that you have a single copy of in a 60-card deck, the probability of drawing it in the first 12 cards is 20%, or one in five games.

After some testing the following changes were made

-1 Huntmaster
-1 Restoration Angel
-1 Niv mizzet
-1 O-ring

+2 Think Twice
+1 Terminus
+1 Selesnya charm
Sign In to post comments