hunting grounds- naturalize

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have hunting grounds out, threshold, my opponent plays a spell to which i respond by laying a Sun Titan, to which they respond by naturalizing my hunting grounds, to which i respond by putting the same Sun Titan into play.. Can someone tell me if what I did was legal, and maybe elaborate how Hunting Grounds works in these situations?
You won't "respond" to your opponent playing a spell; rather, Grounds will trigger.
Once triggered, it's too late to Naturalize Grounds: you WILL get Titan in play.

Wizards of the Coast: NOT ANYMORE outsourced to Elbonia

You're doing it kinda wrong. Here's how it goes:

1. Your opponent casts a spell. Your Hunting Grounds triggers and goes on the stack. You do not choose a creature card to put on the battlefield until the trigger resolves.
2. In response to your trigger, the opponent casts Naturalize, triggering your Hunting Grounds again.
3. The first thing to resolve is your second Hunting Grounds trigger. Using this, you may put your Sun Titan onto the battlefield.
4. Next, your opponent's Naturalize resolves, destroying your Hunting Grounds.
5. Next, your first Hunting Grounds trigger resolves, allowing you to put a second creature onto the battlefield. This can be another Sun Titan, if you have one, or a different creature altogether.
6. Finally, your opponent's first spell resolves.

Standard Answer to all 5E rules questions: "Ask your DM."

When Hunting Grounds triggers, you don't choose or reveal what you are going to put onto the battlefield. This is only shown as it resolves (so your opponents can't respond). If you "rushed in" and showed the Sun Titan, then, yes, your opponent can back up and play a spell, and you can choose again.

In any case, it seems like your opponent thinks Naturalize would have stopped you from putting the Sun Titan (even forgetting that Naturalize itself triggers Hunting Grounds), which is not true. 
112.7a Once activated or triggered, an ability exists on the stack independently of its source. Destruction or removal of the source after that time won’t affect the ability...

Wizards of the Coast: NOT ANYMORE outsourced to Elbonia

"Threshold" should be in italics (207.2c). How does one report an Oracle bug?
You're doing it kinda wrong. Here's how it goes:

1. Your opponent casts a spell. Your Hunting Grounds triggers and goes on the stack. You do not choose a creature card to put on the battlefield until the trigger resolves.
2. In response to your trigger, the opponent casts Naturalize, triggering your Hunting Grounds again.
3. The first thing to resolve is your second Hunting Grounds trigger. Using this, you may put your Sun Titan onto the battlefield.
4. Next, your opponent's Naturalize resolves, destroying your Hunting Grounds.
5. Next, your first Hunting Grounds trigger resolves, allowing you to put a second creature onto the battlefield. This can be another Sun Titan, if you have one, or a different creature altogether.
6. Finally, your opponent's first spell resolves.

Thank you everyone, this has all been very helpful. But this brings about the question, would I be able to Sun Titan my Hunting Grounds back into play right away? :o
Only if you put it into play in step 5 instead of 3. The Titan's ability will trigger, be placed on the stack, and resolve before step 6.
Only if you put it into play in step 5 instead of 3.

Yeah, that's what I meant
Wow that's incredible, that would've changed the entire game I played that one day by not setting me back one turn :P
Well, you would have lost the ability to fetch a card from your graveyard, but your opponent would have wasted a Naturalize and the mana spent to cast it.
Sign In to post comments