Looking for ideas for themed decks to introduce players into the game

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi everyone, and merry Christmas. I'm looking for 4 themes in order to build 4 decks which I will use to introduce some players to the game. 
Those decks will have to meet a few requirements : 

1)  I'd like to keep the decks simple enough : one mechanic per deck,  only basic lands,  no cards with an erratum too important.

2)  About the power-level of the decks, I guess sealed-level would be appropriate.

3)  I also want to avoid combo decks (obviously) and tribal decks, for too many beginners think of Magic decks as only tribal decks. 

Any ideas on themed I could use to build such decks ?
I would make a deck of each color, showing the basic mechanics of each color, and the decks should have the basic abilities, like flying, deathtouch, and more importantly, first strike, as that confused me a ton when I started 

white-small creatures (make sure to specify that life gain sucks).

green-mana pump

blue-counter (I would save this deck untill they get more advanced

red-burn

black-discard, maby? Removal? You said you wanted four decks so I would keep out black.
Thanks for the input. I forgot that, but I was thinking of two-color deck ;)

Ramp seems a good idea, and I took good note of the evergreen abilities, thanks.  
I'd suggest, rather than focusing on specific themes like 'ramp' or 'weenie', you instead try to construct decks which include the fundamentals for 'good, normal decks'. So each deck should include:

*Spot removal
*Good mana curve
*Good land:nonland ratio

You can also include some variety with the decks. For red, you might want it to be blisteringly fast at the cost of card advantage. For a green or blue deck, you might want it to be a bit slower and more controlling, but with a stronger late game and more card advantage.

Also, you might consider including auras which highlight the downside of the subtype, like Holy Strength, as well as auras which are actually playable like Rancor, so that you can explain why they're good/bad when either hits the table. 
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
I introduced some new players using RtR guild theme decks I threw together. New players seem to get the flavor of the guilds pretty easily and its pretty fun watching which guild they choose to identify with. It helps that each guild has its own mechanic as well. I used mostly commons and uncommons to keep it simple for them, but threw in a few bomby rares which were a big hit when drawn. Otherwise, what JaxsonBateman said.
I second (third?) what JaxsonBateman said.

Furthermore, I've found that it is really helpful to use mostly commons and uncommons. For most of Magic's history the commons and uncommons have been the most simple. So, making Peasant type decks work really well. It makes the game straightforward and uncomplicated.

You could add a few rares that really push the decks over the top so illustrate the power of rare cards.

"There are some who call me...Tim?" Go Duke! I apologize for my lack of grammar, spelling, and coherence in my posts. Former Member: Team ABS

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/

I'd suggest, rather than focusing on specific themes like 'ramp' or 'weenie', you instead try to construct decks which include the fundamentals for 'good, normal decks'. So each deck should include:

*Spot removal
*Good mana curve

You can also include some variety with the decks. For red, you might want it to be blisteringly fast at the cost of card advantage. For a green or blue deck, you might want it to be a bit slower and more controlling, but with a stronger late game and more card advantage.

Also, you might consider including auras which highlight the downside of the subtype, like Holy Strength, as well as auras which are actually playable like Rancor, so that you can explain why they're good/bad when either hits the table. 

^^This!^^

I understand not wanting to go with a "tribal" theme, but be sure to include clreatures of that color's common creature types.  Red should have at least one goblin, and green should have at least one elf, for example.

I think limiting yourself to basic lands isn't a good idea.  I've found new players can easily figure out the difference between Basic and Nonbasic lands.  Even if it's just something along the lines of Terramophic Expanse, I think its a good idea to include them.

I'd also make at least one of them in allied two color pairs, and I'd make at least one deck of each common archetype (aggro, control, & combo).  Just think of an extremely simple combo for that one like, Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind + Curiosity, but in an allied color pair, and a very basic control suite (counterspells, Propaganda effects, tapping, etc.).

I think it's important to include all the archetypes just to figure out if the new player is Johnny Timmy or Spike (or Vorthos I guess, but it takes time to figure out if you're him) so when they build their own decks you'll know what they like and can help coach them.

*Spot removal
*Good mana curve

Despite what I said, I would have to agree, And what i find to be the problme with most new players, is that they over-exagerate loosing life, they love lifegain, and they ignore mana cost (to a certain extent). So I think it might be good to examplify these. (especialy on loosing life and mana cost.)
Consider highlighting certain colours abilities specifically pertaining to creatures, for example fill your blue deck with flying, red with haste, white with vigilance, first strike, and green with trample. The trick is to make these decks all about on par for power, so if you fill the green deck with huge green creatures and the white/blue with only tiny fliers/rushers you'll want some decent removal spells in these decks.
 Also be sure to add a few different artifacts, like mana artifacts and such to introduce these as well.
Also it might be a good idea to have the different type of ability, triggered, activated, and static abilities in the decks so they can learn about them and how they can respond to each.
I prefer to teach using monocolored decks, but to each his own.

Keep it simple, maybe even formulaic, in design. 

As you stated you want to go with two-color decks, the current RtR block is a great way to do just this, as Ulcaster points out.  Supplementing the current cards with stuff from the original Ravnica block - especially commons and uncommons - should be fairly simple.  To keep it on par with precon decks (not event decks), consider running no more than 3 of any common, 2 of any uncommon, and 1 of any rare or mythic.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.