[GTC-ICD] Firemane Avenger

102 posts / 0 new
Last post
Firemane Avenger
Creature - Angel
Flying
Battalion - Whenever ~ and at least two other creatures attack, ~ deals 3 damage to target creature or player and you gain 3 life.
Firemane Nevena led the victorous assault on the Barbu Rooftop rebels. Now the Gateless have marked her for death.
3/3

Source: DailyMTG gift

It's sick that it triggers on the attack, meaning it will likely take out a blocker, making it more likely that you will have enough guys to trigger it next turn, too.
Repeatable Lightning Helix as long as you can swing with enough creatures. I like.
Also the synergy with Odric, Master Tactician.
Obviously absurd in limited, but probably pretty mediocre in constructed. Restoration Angel just laughs all day.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012

Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Lightning Helix is awesome. Repeatable Lightning Helix on a stick, even a slightly conditional one, is also awesome.
I think my Mutilates will be pulling overtime post Gatecrash between this and Evolve both pushing players to overcommit to the board.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
3/3 flyiner for 4 is fine. Somewhat contional Lighting helix on a stick is good. Both in one pacakage is good.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
Awesome card. This has strong potential for contructed viability. Repeatable lightning helix is...just great. I will wait and see what kind of support it has though before making a final judgement. Also, Batallion is a neat mechanic and combos well with the spoiled guildleader.
Btw, this ability was seen in GDS2. I think it was called assault.
so which part is the mechanic? something triggering on attack or the lightning helix?

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Restoration Angel just laughs all day.

Restoration Angel laughs at everything all day to be honest.

I like how this ability showed up on Odric in the core set. If this had haste and worse stats, it could be constructed viable, but as of now she's probably unplayable because if they play a sweeper (they will) you lose. And no deck would run this over semi-hasty curve toppers like Sublime Archangel. I think there's strong potential with Batallion though, if they print some good cheap creatures with Batallion a very strong boros deck will emerge.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
so which part is the mechanic? something triggering on attack or the lightning helix?

I think it's probably the attacking with at least 2 other creatures.

So you might think of it as "Whenever ~ and at least 2 other creatures attack, then [bonus]"

So you might think of it as "Whenever ~ and at least 2 other creatures attack, then [bonus]"

Actually are we sure it's 2 other creatures?

I can see some requiring only another, and maybe a huge effect requiring like, five.

192884403 wrote:

I can see some requiring only another, and maybe a huge effect requiring like, five.

You may be right -- it could be 'Whenever ~ and at least X other creatures attack, [bonus]'

I am sure it will always be two other creatures. Threshold is always seven cards, metalcraft is always three artifacts, and fateful hour is always 5 life. Battalion should always play the same. They do not want players to expect one thing and a card to do something else.
So Battalion is basically metalcraft for attacking creatures. I like it. It compliments battle cry neatly and will hopefully contribute to R/W aggro. A R/W/U deck using Battalion, Overload, and Detain could be quite insteresting.

Not sure how I feel about this. Seems like an interesting and potentially powerful mechanic in theory, but I have a feeling its going to fall flat on its face in practice.

If nothing else, it gets bonus points for synergy with the new Boros guild leader.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
Ahh, too slow on the draw tonight!

I do like this ability a lot! I'm imagining a battalion deck where 3 triggers go off of varying severity. Could be funny.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of the ability, it really wants a mob-type deck that likes to swing in. Maybe some kind of token deck can slip in... just has narrow applications.
Puresteel players unite! [Archetype] PURESTEEL
do you hear that? its the sound of nayans rejoicing. between this and gruu, naya decks will be even insaner... or am i just imagining things?

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Between Boros and Gruul only? What about poor ole Selesnya?

As for the card.........

Fliers are always good for one thing as long as they're costed correctly, which this is.

I'm sure the life-gain part is merely gravy, as aggro decks typically use life-gain as a way to buy time or have life as a resource (which tragically isn't strong right now, but we did just leave the block with Phyrexian Mana) but alot of things even on turn 4 will end up dying to 3 damage (sadly, Restoration Angel is still the most broken 4-drop in standard now).

At least without your creatures (or enough of them) dying, this could battle through Thragtusk + partner.

Of course, MtGMCL, you'd play three of these, and have wish your opponent a...... whatever holiday is closest XD. (MtG : Magical Christmas Land)
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
What is RW's obsession with Lightning Helix?  Every block with multicolor themes has at least one thing with "Deal 3 damage and gain 3 life."
What is RW's obsession with Lightning Helix?  Every block with multicolor themes has at least one thing with "Deal 3 damage and gain 3 life."

Red/White has always been the least popular color combination while Lightning Helix is incredibly popular and quite good, so they probably want to piggyback on that.

192884403 wrote:
Lingering Souls into this seems like it would be sweet.  I doubt this actually sees constructed play, but it has some potential.  Seems pretty nice with something like Lightning Mauler as well.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Spoiler season is always so frustrating when card after card is previewed that won't make itself into any of my standard builds. American Human Aggro, Rat Tribal, and Gruul Control. C'mon spoilers, daddy needs a new pair of shoes.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
An ability word instead of a keyword.
That's... interesting.
I expect Midnight Haunting might actually become quite useful, the ability to play it at the end of turn and then trigger a 'lone' creature's battalion ability seems like a good response to a sweeper.
I would prefer haste to flying on this card. It seems like it will be good at times but I think you're in for some issues if your deck is reliant upon having at least 2 other attacking creatures.
Don't be too smart to have fun
Remember when La Pille said they made an anti-Thragtusk card in Gatecrash? Now I fear this is the card he was referring to...

192884403 wrote:
Holy **** - if all the Battalion triggers are this ability, that would be INSANNNNNE.
I like this card.  Regardless of its playability its very flavourful to Boros.  So far I'm liking all the reveals.

Wish they'd show an Orzhov card though
IMAGE(http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p268/TsengFox/20804.jpg)
I like this mechanic more than Radiance so +1 from me, even if I won't play this card. (not a fan of the color combination)

Can't wait for some one-/twodrops with this keyword. =P
/ knights/human/soldiers or / goblins please!
(yeah I love tribals, deal with it!)

I bet "Firemane Nevena" will be another legendary creature we'll never see a card for though.
The uprising is coming...Thatcher Revolt is coming...

Stupidly quick burn is coming...

Best present ever! 

DCI Judge Level 1

The uprising is coming...Thatcher Revolt is coming...

Stupidly quick burn is coming...

Best present ever! 

Between Thatcher Revolt and Lingering Souls hitting the battalion requirements doesn't sound difficult, at least on a casual level. It is still probably too many hoops to jump through for a competitive standard deck.
57170298 wrote:
Borrowing the East Wind (P3) - Haha, it's like Hurricane but for horsemanship? That makes hilariously little sense. "Oh man, the wind is so much worse up on this horse."
57044478 wrote:
Jon Finkel can win a Magic tournament with a ham sandwich. That doesn't mean ham sandwiches are now the metagame breaker.
97820278 wrote:
Koth: I'm the first viable red planeswalker. Who are you? Tibalt: I'm a two-mana red planeswalker. Koth: I'm the last viable red planeswalker.
Pretty cool.

Its a good card on its own and the mechanic is going to be lots of fun(atleast for my human/angel R/W deck).
Fits the curve nicely for:

T1 - Doomed Traveler
T2 - Gather the Townsfolk or Lightning Mauler
T3 - Fervor or Lingering Souls
T4 - Firemane Avenger

Unless they have a ton of removal, your engine is online!

192884403 wrote:
T1 - Champion of the Parish
T2 - Lightning Mauler
T3 - Silverblade Paladin
T4 - Firemane Avenger

Fixed for you.

You definitely want Mauler to Soulbond to this on the 4th turn.

About the card: at first I REALLY liked it. Then I remembered Hellrider, which, although it doesn't have evasion and targets only players, is still probably better than this. Hmm, I wonder if having the ability to divide the damage a la Inferno Titan would help its playabilty. Art's nice though.

A wise man on film sequels:
Watching sequels to really good films is like visiting a bollock kicking parlour, paying your money and then proceeding to get your bollocks kicked...then leaving and returning at a later date to repeat the process. -iamthehollow
Decks: :R::G: Karn Tron :R::U: Bloody Fish There Will Be Blood (movie).
The mechanic feels like boros to me, so it gets a flavour bonus. Definitely moreso than radiance. However, I don't like that it forces you to commit a lot of creatures to the board to get the bonus or that it requires 3 creatures to attack (leading to less than ideal blocks sometimes, and they have to survive long enough to attack) and I especially don't like creatures that have this mechanic that don't have haste. There will need to be some very good creatures with this mechanic at less than 3 CMC or with haste to get me to use this mechanic in constructed.
rare... :/

This feels awefully uncommon. 

Magic Rafiq Control Deck [EDH][1vs1][multiplayer] [] Inferno Beatdown [EDH][multiplayer][1vs1][] Gwendlyn Combo/Control Deck [EDH][1vs1][] Merieke Casual Deck [EDH][multiplayer][] Roleplaying Magician class [D&D 3.5]

She'll see constructed play. She won't win best in show, but she'll still get in there. Expect her less in Boros decks (who'd rather have a quicker punch) and more in a 3+ color value deck (most likely featuring Lingering Souls, as Mono pointed out).

Her plus Thundermaw Hellkite and one other creature kills any Restoration angels already on the field.... 

What we'll likely see are mono-red aggro decks splashing a bit of white, if there are any more awesome Battalion effects like this.  
Sign In to post comments