Fond strange deckbox, does anybody know what it is?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi,
I bought a collection from an old player and he had an old plastic box of mtg from the year 1995.
I found a old topic about this kind of box but there was no clear answer about the story behind it (was gift to employees, was revised promo item, was first pro tour prize...)
It look handmade but its not handmade. Its made of a kind of plastic (hard and heavy).
Now all the pictures i found on the web where wit boxes with brown in the middle. Mine is totaly green, i thought it was painted but its not, a litte part was broken this week and the inside of the 'plastic' is also green so its not painted.
I hope there is someone who knows more about it!
Thanks,
Dion
I posted the foto of the one i found on the internet, ik looks just the same but only in green.
I don't know, but it certainly looks like something that might have been ordered direct from Wizards from the pages of the Duelist from the early days of Magic, so it could well be a valuable collectors' item - which is, of course, a possibility you have probably considered, and the reason you're asking about it here. No doubt someone will recognize it.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

Someone posted exactly like this, something like 9-12 months ago on here...don't have time to go digging, though.

People identified it, but I don't think it was super valuable (from my memory).  My memory is fuzzy, so perhaps it could have been worth $50? but I don't think so.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
It's made of resin.

coolstuffinc is trying to sell one on eBay right now.  They're asking $200 as a buy-it-now price but haven't had any takers.  They've seemingly declined three lower offers.
1) Is it wide enough to comfortably seat sleeved cards?
2) How many cards does it hold, sleeved (if it's wide enough) and not?
it can hold about 65 sleeved cards
While searching the internet for a different deck box I was actually directed to a thread on these forums about the same deck box circa 2009 and nobody knew anything about it then either. 
While searching the internet for a different deck box I was actually directed to a thread on these forums about the same deck box circa 2009 and nobody knew anything about it then either. 

Looking for that thread, I found this: someone who has one calls it a Magic Stone Deck Box.

That led me to this thread, which contained a link to this thread, and while no one gave an exact identification, it was noted that they were released around 1998 or 1999.

Weird.
Anybody going to send this to MaRo's blog and see if he can dig something up? 
It looks awesomeCool
U.S Army Vet, Mother & Wife, Pre-med student, Tatted/Pierced, Avid fantasy novel reader, Doodler/Photoshop-er of random things etc etc... I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
looks like a blackjack shoe
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)

Looking for that thread, I found this: someone who has one calls it a Magic Stone Deck Box.

That led me to this thread, which contained a link to this thread, and while no one gave an exact identification, it was noted that they were released around 1998 or 1999.

Yeah, that's the thread I was referring to before.

It also mentions portal prerelease/release. Portal was released in 1997, perhaps the person saying 1998-1999 just got the date wrong by a year and it was released as some type of tie-in with Portal.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
Thanks all for looking at my thread but still we can't find a real answer of the question: for what porpuse was it made and are there more boxes in different collours...
As i said before my box i just the same as in the found threads but only in a green version (its not painted green because a little piece broke of and inside is also green).
It can't be a portal release item, the date in the box is 1995.
Should i try to e mail wizards of the coast or something to get an answer?

OK, that's a really important clue. That's the year that gave us Fourth Edition and Homelands. These are the early days of Magic... the P9 and the original duals are gone, yes, but Magic is just beginning to find out if it can survive without them.

Thanks all for looking at my thread but still we can't find a real answer of the question: for what porpuse was it made and are there more boxes in different collours...
As i said before my box i just the same as in the found threads but only in a green version (its not painted green because a little piece broke of and inside is also green).
Should i try to e mail wizards of the coast or something to get an answer?

emailing (or tweeting) wizards would be cool.  Tha was suggested in the previous threads but it doesn't look like anyone actually did.  They might do an arcana on it, which would be cool.

I have send an email to the WOTC if they have any information about the box.
When i get a e mail back i will post it here.
Sign In to post comments