Need help with a few decks

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I do this from time to time: make a bunch of decks that are "factions" that can fight each other.

I only have one "complete" deck right now, my Werewolves, which can serve as a benchmark of sorts for the others.

So, for the next deck I want to build a G/W Human deck. This is what I have so far using the cards I already own:

GW Humans
[deck]
4 Savannah
4 Windswept heath
2 Flooded Strand
4 Plains
4 Forest
1 Dryad Arbor

4 Noble Hierarch
4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
4 Hamlet Captain
4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Eternal Witness

4 Green Sun's Zenith
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Naturalize
3 Sharpened Pitchfork
2 Bonds of Faith
2 Sylvan Library
1 Umezawa's Jitte[/deck]

I also wanted to put together a budget-ish Vampire deck (also with the cards I have):

Vampires
[deck]
20 Swamps

4 Pulse Tracker
4 Vampire Lacerator
4 Vampire Hexmage
4 Blood Seeker
4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 Vampire Nighthawk

4 Feast of Blood
4 Sign in Blood
4 Dark Ritual
2 Blade of the Bloodchief
2 Dismember[/deck]

I have some other vampires, but not a lot of the really good ones. I have one or two bloodline keeper that might make it in.

Finally, I was thinking of a UR Wizards deck. This one seems pretty tricky; do I make it countermagic heavy? burn heavy? Every deck can hopefully be multiplayer, but I feel like that is more difficult with this one.

UR Wizards
[deck]
4 Volcanic Island
2 Scalding Tarn
4 Polluted Delta
4 Mishra's Factory
3 Island
3 Mountain

4 Delver of Secrets
4 Grim Lavamancer
4 Spellstutter Sprite

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Incinerate
2 Fire // Ice

4 Force of Will
4 Spell Snare
2 Spell Pierce

4 Brainstorm
4 Ponder[/deck]

This one is very rough. I also thought about UR Merfolk since I have most of the merfolk lords (except the newest one; forget the name). Although, Mefolk aren't really on theme.

So, please pick one or more and tell me how I can improve.
Thanks

"There are some who call me...Tim?" Go Duke! I apologize for my lack of grammar, spelling, and coherence in my posts. Former Member: Team ABS

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/

It's tough, because I feel like you want to keep these relatively casual (and on par with each other), but I know you could easily make these a ton more competitive (from experience).

Something that stands out is the inclusion of Feast of Blood, which looks real shaky given that the other decks have adequate removal. Maybe discard of some sort in lieu of them.

What sort of budget for changes do you have? For whom were these decks constructed?
Deck Critique VCL
Show
Rules Advisor Don't assume I have read any response you might have made directed toward me in a thread or post. The best method to contact me is Private Message as I will always check there upon logging on Please review the Code of Conduct or the Comprehensive Rules when in doubt. Also, please use Google for your easy-to-answer questions. Read this for a bit on game mathematics. This is information on game psychology and the infamous term "scrub." Autocard:
[c]Gifts Ungiven[/c] -> Gifts Ungiven
royk's Tradesroyk's Deck Dump
As for your Wizard deck, there are a few of the new izzet cards that may help, like Goblin Electromancer, Nivix Guildmage, Mercurial Chemister, and the guildleader Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius. Lunar Mystic for all your instants, Archaeomancer to get those instants and sorceries back, and Augur of Bolas to help find one. This is just in standard. I dont quite understand why you have Spellstutter Sprite if there are only four total faeries in the deck, perhaps it works

I think, and its just my opinion, that your vamps need at least one lord. You have the Bloodline Keepers, so there is your lord.

For your humans, I definitely think you should look into Champion of the Parish because he is really gonna benefit from all the humans. I also run a Champion of Lambholt with a few cards giving counters (Increasing Savagery). I like Bonds of Faith because if can boost your creature or stop your opponent's non-human, but maybe look into a few Oblivion Rings for more removal.

As you said, your werewolf would be considered pretty "complete" I dont have many other suggestions on that one for you.

Hope this helps
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
It's christmas, you should do something useful with your time.

Also you should name your vampire deck twilight.dec and include some human females that don't do anything.
Awesome. Thanks for the feed back.

It's now after Christmas. I spent the entire day with my family. Now the kids are in bed, the mother-in-law is asleep, and the wife is playing with her Christmas gifts. Now I get to be here.
I typed the original post up yesterday in notepad...

@Royk
Yeah, I've been "easing" out of competitive Magic for awhile. I got a bit too spikey and scared off some friends. Right now I'm building just for my wife and some friends who know how to play but don't have cards. Very casual and deep strategies and tactics aren't really their things.

I have about $100 total to help all the decks. Not a whole lot, but they don't have to be super competitive. They just need to be about even. And I guess they are more for 1 on 1, since I will hardly ever be able to wrangle more than one person to play at a time.

I was actually thinking of adding survival of the fittest to Vampires. I have 2 bayou that never see play, and enough black duals. Drop the rituals, blades, and sign in bloods for:
4 Survival
4 Birds of Paradise (obv not vampires, but part of the basic survival package)
1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
1 Bloodline Keeper
And if I have a second (I can only find one right now) I'll drop a feast of blood for it. I am also a bit skeptical of feast of blood, but I have used it in the past with some success. If it doesn't work in testing I'll probably put doom blade in.

@CandyWife20
For the Humans deck, I really should try to get Champion of the Parish. I'm not sure what I'd take out though. That Champion of Lambholt looks like what I need. Another beatstick besides KotR that helps all my other humans. Finding room is the problem with this deck though. I can probably cut down on a few eternal witness and avacyn's pilgrim.

For the Wizards, I uncovered an old "Mad Scientist" list I made awhile back:

So, the mad scientists are the delvers, lavamancers, and snapcaster. The test subject is one of their experiments (which turns into Godzilla).

They impose their will on others (Force of Will). Harness the power of lightning (lightning bolt), and use the energy of fire to inflict harm (incinerate) and to power their laboratory (mishra's factory).

They also do a lot of thinking (brainstorm et al).

This one has a bit more burn, and a big finisher (if I can get him to stick). Spell pierce might become mental misstep to give it a bit more game against the other decks that are super aggressive.

"There are some who call me...Tim?" Go Duke! I apologize for my lack of grammar, spelling, and coherence in my posts. Former Member: Team ABS

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/