DLCR: Thrill-Kill Assassin

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays final RtR card to rate is...

Thrill-Kill Assassin

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

This is probably my favorite unleash 2 drop.  I definitely like it more then the Roustabout and generally like it more then Chainwalker.

This guy is good on both offense as the opponent will not want to block him and defense where the opponent won't want to attack into him.

Discuss! 
I think 3.0 is fair.
I think 3.0 is fair.

Agreed.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Yeah it is a solid 3.0
He's a high 3.0 to me. He is your premier 2-drop for both rakdos and golgari, contending with pack rat, guildmage, and chainwalker.
3. This card is really, really good.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
This one sees so many misplays. There are so many people unleashing him with a deck that does not support it. I guess you can say that about all unleashers but it's especially obvious on the ones with defensive impact (this one and the skeleton)

In an aggressive deck you obviously want to unleash him, but in a slower deck, this thing leashed holds back an army. Really shines in Golgari if you can keep him alive with a combat trick. One of my favorite creatures to play in any black deck. If I'm not mistaken, this guy with the scorpion are the only 2 deathtouch creatures in the set, making him incredibly valuable. This is a 3 but I pick him up earlier than I should usually. 
He's a high 3.0 to me. He is your premier 2-drop for both rakdos and golgari, contending with pack rat, guildmage, and chainwalker.

She doesn't contend with Pack Rat or either of those guildmages.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge

She doesn't contend with Pack Rat or either of those guildmages.

Correct.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I didn't word it right. I'm trying to say those are pretty much the only 2 drops better, that I could think of off-hand.
The only reason i've ever passed this card was because there was an Overgrown Tomb in the pack.  An excellent Unleashed card on turn 2 imo.  Given that black is my favorite RtR color, this is a 3.5-4 for me.  
Sign In to post comments