Play a game of limited...

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
This post is to see how people handle different situations in a limited game. The idea is to think about the situation and suggest the thing you would ACTUALLY do in a real game. Interesting ideas may be praised or rejected.

Situation...so You just made Day Two at GP Indy. You went through your first draft and feel pretty decent (presumably) about your draft deck. You have a lot of challenges ahead of you. How will you react to the situations of an actual game state?

You opened a bomb for Azorius in Pack One and were sent signals throughout pack one. Pack two got you a few fliers, some combat tricks and a guildgate, pack three saw another decent rare and some more nice cards.

Here is your pool:

2xEyes in the skies
2xAzorius Arrester
Arrest
Azorius Charm
2xDramatic Rescue
Jace, Architect of Thought
Soulsworn Spirit
2xVoidwielder
Dead Reveler
Street Spasm
Lyev Skyknight
Rakdos Charm
Guild Feud
Syncopate
Detention Sphere
Search The City
Mizzium Skin
Azorius Justiciar
2xKeening Apparition
Blustersquall
Faerie Impostor
Inaction Injunction
Racecourse fury
Archweaver
Urban Burgeoning
2xRootborn Defense
Oak Street Innkeeper
Firemind's Foresight
2xSearch Warrant
Rakdos Shred-freak
Pithing Needle FOIL
2xazorius guildgate
Tablet of the Guilds
Trestle Troll
Horncaller's Chant
Survey the Wreckage
Knightly Valor

Construct your deck and make your argument for the inclusion of cards that aren't obvious.

We will begin shortly...

bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge

Including every creature in our colors (including the three token generators) to shore up a low creature count.
Playing 18 lands because we're short on playables, and it's not worth the inconsistencies to splash red for the Spasm since our deck does have an aggressive side that could take some games, which we probably need.

Mizzium Skin as last inclusion instead of Rootborn Defenses because of the few token interactions and the easier cost, though I could see going either way on this one.

Including the guildgates because we don't really have anything past 5 so entering tapped is worth the extra consistency when we have cards with in the 2 and 3 slots, and cards with and both in the 4-slot.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
You have 2 CC cards at 4 cmc, and you're running 18 lands with double guildgate.  I think that the disadvantage of splashing street spasm is small enough to make it worth running over mizzium skin, which is a pretty mediocre card.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
You have 2 CC cards at 4 cmc, and you're running 18 lands with double guildgate.  I think that the disadvantage of splashing street spasm is small enough to make it worth running over mizzium skin, which is a pretty mediocre card.

Island, Island, mountain, Keening Apparition, Lyev Skyknight, Voidwielder, Knightly Valor.

... Snap mull, right?

I don't think the games the Spasm wins outnumbers the games our mana impedes (if not outright loses).
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!

Island, Island, mountain, Keening Apparition, Lyev Skyknight, Voidwielder, Knightly Valor.

... Snap mull, right?

I don't think the games the Spasm wins outnumbers the games our mana impedes (if not outright loses).

Yes, you can come up with a situation in which your proposal works better than the alternative, but that's true for pretty much ANY proposal.  That doesn't make it the correct one.

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
Cato-I'd like to see your build.

Lobster-I also am weary about the Street Spasm.

Might we sideboard in certain creature intense match-ups?

You quickly noticed the weakness of this draft pool. The creatures never tabled!

I'm not sure about 18 lands...I think I'd prefer Inaction Injunction over an island.

While picking niffty uncommon spells, the creatures didn't make it.

The challenge will be making it work. BUT we do have lots of bounce, detain and combat tricks, making this a "wildcard" deck of sorts.

There seems to be some very powerful cards, are the creatures skilled enough to take the tower? We'll have to see...

Who else wants to put a word in on the build?
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
I didn't see the inaction injunction there.

Upon seeing it, I'm just going to go with cutting a mizzium skin for it.  That one slot is the difference between running 2 mountains and running 3 mountains. 

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:

Upon seeing it, I'm just going to go with cutting a mizzium skin for it.  That one slot is the difference between running 2 mountains and running 3 mountains. 

@Cato- What's your build? Three mountains for 1 red mana symbol? Can I see your deck?

@Cato- What's your build? Three mountains for 1 red mana symbol? Can I see your deck?

Spasm does something for R, but it does a lot more for RR

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
I didn't see the Inaction Injunction either, it's probably better than the Skin.

If you run Spasm, you have to run 3 red sources (at least). The double gate makes this not super-painful, though I would have preferred them to be Izzet Guildgates obviously, which makes our red sources at least one of our primary colors (this is why the mana problem is too serious; even with 18 lands, 3 mountains has a significant risk of blocking out one of our colors, particular for or / costs).
With the lack of mana fixing I agree that splashing Spasm doesn't do enough. You have an Arrest and a Detention Sphere for removal. You'll never get to overload your spasm making it a ground-only single target removal spell that you're sacrificing at least 2 lands for. Going triple mountain for the off chance you get to overload it just seems terrible to me.  Just seems like a mistake. It will hurt more often than it helps.

Way easier to add an inaction injunction and run one of our Rootborn Defenses. Even without a lot of token producers it's still a fine trick. 

I'd go with Lobster667's deck, cut a land, add Inaction Injunction, as well as cut a Dramatic Rescue for a Rootborn Defenses. Reasoning that we don't have a lot of creatures and can use all the blow-out potential we have. Normally I'd cut Mizzium Skin instead, but we have no way of attacking on the ground and all of our air assaults have 1 toughness. I really want to protect either the Soulsworn Spirit or whatever gets the Knightly Valor, and Mizzium Skin lets you do that. If they take out one of those 2 guys then our entire deck is shut down by a single pegasus.
I didn't see the Inaction Injunction either, it's probably better than the Skin.

If you run Spasm, you have to run 3 red sources (at least). The double gate makes this not super-painful, though I would have preferred them to be Izzet Guildgates obviously, which makes our red sources at least one of our primary colors (this is why the mana problem is too serious; even with 18 lands, 3 mountains has a significant risk of blocking out one of our colors, particular for or / costs).

If we can't reliably run the overload on Spasm, and it also has a chance at manascrewing us I advise against running it.

With the lack of mana fixing I agree that splashing Spasm doesn't do enough. You have an Arrest and a Detention Sphere for removal. You'll never get to overload your spasm making it a ground-only single target removal spell that you're sacrificing at least 2 lands for. Going triple mountain for the off chance you get to overload it just seems terrible to me.  Just seems like a mistake. It will hurt more often than it helps.

Way easier to add an inaction injunction and run one of our Rootborn Defenses. Even without a lot of token producers it's still a fine trick. 

I'd go with Lobster667's deck, cut a land, add Inaction Injunction, as well as cut a Dramatic Rescue for a Rootborn Defenses. Reasoning that we don't have a lot of creatures and can use all the blow-out potential we have. Normally I'd cut Mizzium Skin instead, but we have no way of attacking on the ground and all of our air assaults have 1 toughness. I really want to protect either the Soulsworn Spirit or whatever gets the Knightly Valor, and Mizzium Skin lets you do that. If they take out one of those 2 guys then our entire deck is shut down by a single pegasus.

Good points!

I don't know how crazy i am about cutting Dramatic Rescue though. That card has done so much for me. I think the rescue is better than rootborn at the moment. I like bouncing their big guys and or pumped up creatures when I'm creature light.

One thing I do want to point out is that all of our bounce and detain REALLY helps out Jace!

This cardpool sucks. Something went really wrong in this draft. Usually you should have more than 23 cards that you wouldn't have a problem playing, but in this case you only have 22 (listed in the first reply), so your only real questions for 23rd card are land vs rootborn defenses vs street spasm.

I'd run that first list with a rootborn instead of 18th land. This deck needs to keep its creatures alive and rootborn can cause some blowouts in certain situations.

Pithing needle is not the worst sideboard card either. It could really help against the strongest deck in the format - populate - by stopping centaur herald or vitu-ghazi gm or something. But on the other hand, that deck is fine with running sundering growth. Hmm.
I count 28 playables..not counting splashes.

You can't NOT count the Azorius Guildgates. Those are playables that were picked over other things with the thought of fixing mana.

@pinky-What's your deck...and why?

Maybe I was using the term "playable" a bit loosely; it means something in my mind but something else in a forum like this. Let me change that word to "cards that make a cohesive deck without splashing, and not counting lands".  You need about 23 of this kind of card, plus or minus 1, to have a good deck.

I put ** next to each in the list that I consider in this group.

Here is your pool:

2xEyes in the skies  **
2xAzorius Arrester **
Arrest **
Azorius Charm **
2xDramatic Rescue **
Jace, Architect of Thought **
Soulsworn Spirit **
2xVoidwielder **
Dead Reveler
Street Spasm
Lyev Skyknight **
Rakdos Charm 
Guild Feud
Syncopate **
Detention Sphere **
Search The City
Mizzium Skin **
Azorius Justiciar **
2xKeening Apparition **
Blustersquall **
Faerie Impostor **
Inaction Injunction **
Racecourse fury
Archweaver
Urban Burgeoning
2xRootborn Defense 
Oak Street Innkeeper
Firemind's Foresight
2xSearch Warrant
Rakdos Shred-freak
Pithing Needle FOIL
2xazorius guildgate
Tablet of the Guilds
Trestle Troll
Horncaller's Chant
Survey the Wreckage
Knightly Valor **

Construct your deck and make your argument for the inclusion of cards that aren't obvious.

We will begin shortly...

Okay this time I counted 23, so I guess that's the deck.
To get up to 28 I'm not sure what you're counting. Apparently the 2 guildgates, okay fine, we are using different definitions of the word. They are not helping you get up to 23 non-land cards. Then there's the 2 rootborn defenses which are borderline, in my opinion, for this deck. But yes, they should be considered. And then to get to your 28 number you must be counting street spasm.

Regarding street spasm, you could argue for or against splashing it, and for me it's against, because of lack of good fixing. You have to put in mountains to play this 1 card, I don't like that, I think it was well articulated already earlier in the thread.

I don't count lands in the group that I described above because they take the place of basic lands generally. You still need 23 (+/- 1) non-guildgate cards. In every draft I can recall from recent memory, and all the ones you can watch on youtube, one should easily have more than 23 cards (non-lands) that one could play in the deck, and it's always a question of which ones will go in the deck. You have options - should you use this card or that card, which would make the curve smoother, which would help accomplish what the deck is trying to do, etc. This one has 23 (25 if you count rootborn, 26 with spasm, still shockingly low in my opinion), so there's none of that decision process. To me, that is crazy and something didn't go well in this draft.
Maybe I was using the term "playable" a bit loosely; it means something in my mind but something else in a forum like this. Let me change that word to "cards that make a cohesive deck without splashing, and not counting lands".  You need about 23 of this kind of card, plus or minus 1, to have a good deck.

I put ** next to each in the list that I consider in this group.

Here is your pool:

2xEyes in the skies  **
2xAzorius Arrester **
Arrest **
Azorius Charm **
2xDramatic Rescue **
Jace, Architect of Thought **
Soulsworn Spirit **
2xVoidwielder **
Dead Reveler
Street Spasm
Lyev Skyknight **
Rakdos Charm 
Guild Feud
Syncopate **
Detention Sphere **
Search The City
Mizzium Skin **
Azorius Justiciar **
2xKeening Apparition **
Blustersquall **
Faerie Impostor **
Inaction Injunction **
Racecourse fury
Archweaver
Urban Burgeoning
2xRootborn Defense 
Oak Street Innkeeper
Firemind's Foresight
2xSearch Warrant
Rakdos Shred-freak
Pithing Needle FOIL
2xazorius guildgate
Tablet of the Guilds
Trestle Troll
Horncaller's Chant
Survey the Wreckage
Knightly Valor **

We will begin shortly...

Okay this time I counted 23, so I guess that's the deck.
To get up to 28 I'm not sure what you're counting. Apparently the 2 guildgates, okay fine, we are using different definitions of the word. They are not helping you get up to 23 non-land cards. Then there's the 2 rootborn defenses which are borderline, in my opinion, for this deck. But yes, they should be considered. And then to get to your 28 number you must be counting street spasm.

Regarding street spasm, you could argue for or against splashing it, and for me it's against, because of lack of good fixing. You have to put in mountains to play this 1 card, I don't like that, I think it was well articulated already earlier in the thread.

I don't count lands in the group that I described above because they take the place of basic lands generally. You still need 23 (+/- 1) non-guildgate cards. In every draft I can recall from recent memory, and all the ones you can watch on youtube, one should easily have more than 23 cards (non-lands) that one could play in the deck, and it's always a question of which ones will go in the deck. You have options - should you use this card or that card, which would make the curve smoother, which would help accomplish what the deck is trying to do, etc. This one has 23 (25 if you count rootborn, 26 with spasm, still shockingly low in my opinion), so there's none of that decision process. To me, that is crazy and something didn't go well in this draft.

Pithing Needle-whether you like it or not, IS a playable (I've played it in about six drafts mainboard-low on good cards, and it was never once a dead card.)

I spoke at the beginning about the pools short-comings, the idea is to maximize the deck and play it as best we can.

I was only speaking of the guildgates because they were cards that were picked out of the draft. They don't count towards our 23 but they were definitely picked over other cards in the pool which might have lead to the state of less creature playables.

Your job is to make this pool as solid as possible. Then prepare for the match. Which is against a high level player (not me =  P) who drafted from the SAME pool, and picked the pool he liked best (I choose for US the pool he liked the least).

So, I know playing rootborn defenses with so many creatures isn't the best idea, however, seeing that we have so few creatures that we can easily crumble to any sort of removal spell. It's okay with eyes in the skies but not great. Seeing how weak this pool is I think it's necessary. Otherwise, I think it was pretty straight forward. 
It looks like everyone is pretty close on build (obviously). The only discrepency being Mizzium Skin versus Rootborn Defense for card number 23.

With this build which card is REALLY better?

I'm interested to hear everyone's ideas...then we will shuffle up!
Incidently tonight's FNM (I'm in China, or in the future...depends on how you look at it.) I drafted a REALLY strong, fast populate deck and I had 22 good playables and then I had nothing worth splashing and only three cards to choose from for 23rd card horncaller's chant, aerial predation, and that green enchant land that's unplayable.

Horncaller's chant is one of my least favorite cards if you don't have a few mana ramps, I like aerial predation but if I main boarded it it would have been a dead card most of the night, and the third guy is totally unplayable...18 lands it is.

went 3-1 lost a three game match to the first place guy where I didn't mulligan when I should have.

Call of the conclave is incredibule for those of you just starting out.

Every game was literally

1 Centaur's herald
2 Call of the conclave
3 make a token either sac herald or rootborn defenses
4 FOIL Growing ranks or eyes in the skies

usually game over
Speaking of China (sorta) I'm going to Hong Kong and looking for a place to play magic there. I want to draft because I didn't bring any decks home with me. Are they likely to be drafting in English or Chinese? I mean, I know all of the cards and what they do, but sometimes rules text might be a problem. I know they are big on English in Hong Kong but just wondering what what I'm getting myself into.
Speaking of China (sorta) I'm going to Hong Kong and looking for a place to play magic there. I want to draft because I didn't bring any decks home with me. Are they likely to be drafting in English or Chinese? I mean, I know all of the cards and what they do, but sometimes rules text might be a problem. I know they are big on English in Hong Kong but just wondering what what I'm getting myself into.

hmmm...Good question. I think they would most-likely be in Traditional Chinese. On the mainland we have Simplified Chinese cards, but I know in Taiwan they like to rock the Traditional characters so I'm guessing HK used those as well. English cards are a possibility but I thing Chinese is more-likely. I only have the chance to use Chinese cards when I draft in China.

hmmm...Good question. I think they would most-likely be in Traditional Chinese. On the mainland we have Simplified Chinese cards, but I know in Taiwan they like to rock the Traditional characters so I'm guessing HK used those as well. English cards are a possibility but I thing Chinese is more-likely. I only have the chance to use Chinese cards when I draft in China.

Nah, it'll be simplified in Hong Kong as well. It's only Taiwan who are sticklers using Traditional all the time. My questioning is because in Hong Kong so many people actively speak English so I was thinking they might have English cards but I think I'd rather use Chinese ones. Would be cool to collect those. 

Nah, it'll be simplified in Hong Kong as well. It's only Taiwan who are sticklers using Traditional all the time. My questioning is because in Hong Kong so many people actively speak English so I was thinking they might have English cards but I think I'd rather use Chinese ones. Would be cool to collect those. 

Actually Hong Kong ONLY uses Traditional in their day to day Chinese. I've never seen anything in Simplified in HK. But doesn't mean the cards wont be in simplified. Hong Kong citizens vehemently resist using simplified. They feel like they're keeping the "real" Chinese writing alive (along with taiwan).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong here's some basics. Have fun!

Actually Hong Kong ONLY uses Traditional in their day to day Chinese. I've never seen anything in Simplified in HK. But doesn't mean the cards wont be in simplified. Hong Kong citizens vehemently resist using simplified. They feel like they're keeping the "real" Chinese writing alive (along with taiwan). en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong here's some basics. Have fun!

oh, got it backwards then. I've been there before but I just don't speak/read any Chinese.  
It's a fun place. Much more civilized behavior than mainlanders, in general. People actually stand in line, cars stop at red lights, people don't smoke in elevators and hospitals, don't spit everywhere, etc.

Make sure you visit Victoria harbor by 8pm to see the laser light show.
Yeah, I've done that stuff before. I'm glad to be going back now that I'm older and I can appreciate the place more. Just want to get lost for a while. 

The giant Buddha statue on Lantau island was pretty impressive. One of the more insane things I've seen in my life.

Just like Taiwain, Hong Kong doesn't want to be considered Chinese. They want to be known as Hong Kong. I wouldn't say they are more civilized but they are definitely more Westernized and more modernized than the mainland because they can afford to be. 
Yeah, I've done that stuff before. I'm glad to be going back now that I'm older and I can appreciate the place more. Just want to get lost for a while. 

The giant Buddha statue on Lantau island was pretty impressive. One of the more insane things I've seen in my life.

Just like Taiwain, Hong Kong doesn't want to be considered Chinese. They want to be known as Hong Kong. I wouldn't say they are more civilized but they are definitely more Westernized and more modernized than the mainland because they can afford to be. 

By "more civilized" I mean more civil. For example it's a joke in HK and Taiwan that mainlanders are very rude. They push each other and never say excuse me, smoke in a crowed elevator, spit right by your feet (sometimes on you), they love to cut in line. HK and Taiwan people pride themselves on being more civil than mainlanders and the difference is so apparant for me I'm always pleasantly amazed.

I've been recently considering moving to Taiwan for my business and this has been one of the main factors. I love that in Taiwan and HK people will try to help you even if they don't speak English!

Sign In to post comments