i'm new and have some questions

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello,

I'm a new player to D&D (or roleplaying in general), I've bought the "D&D Red box starter set" last week and by viewing video's on the internet i'm really getting into the game. And I have a few questions because when i introduce this game to my friends i would want them to experience the fullest of the game. And have tons of fun of course.

I always see in the video's that the DM alsways draws out an entire dungeonmap where the player moves on (even when not in encounters). is this how you usually play or does the DM usually describes everything in between encounters and do you then use maps as battle grids?

Do you always play with miniatures? or can you just use markers of whatever?

When a character levels does this happen the second they reach target EXP-amount or does it happen when at the end of the game?

And i have read the "Red box starter set" only has material for levelling characters up to level 2 (almost level 3). To go further do i buy the dungeon master guide, monster manual and player's book?

And if i buy previosly mentioned books do i then have everything that is needed to play the game to it's fullest or is there still more?

I Think that is all for now,
Roel D. (Bazzmonster)
Hello,

I'm a new player to D&D (or roleplaying in general), I've bought the "D&D Red box starter set" last week and by viewing video's on the internet i'm really getting into the game. And I have a few questions because when i introduce this game to my friends i would want them to experience the fullest of the game. And have tons of fun of course.

Welcome to the game and welcome to the forums.

I always see in the video's that the DM alsways draws out an entire dungeonmap where the player moves on (even when not in encounters). is this how you usually play or does the DM usually describes everything in between encounters and do you then use maps as battle grids?

Typically people only use grids inside of combat.  There can be some instances where moving on grids outside of combat can be important, but they are few and far between.

Do you always play with miniatures? or can you just use markers of whatever?

Minis are pretty nice to use.  I typically use Minis for my players and then use tokens for the enemies.  You can use whatever you want really though.

When a character levels does this happen the second they reach target EXP-amount or does it happen when at the end of the game?

Up to you.  I don't typically use EXP anymore so I might not be the best example of someone to ask though.  If I was using EXP I would probably have the characters level at their next extended rest after they get the amount of EXP they need to level.

And i have read the "Red box starter set" only has material for levelling characters up to level 2 (almost level 3). To go further do i buy the dungeon master guide, monster manual and player's book?

You can do that.  You can also buy the essentials books to help you see what happens when you level. Or, if you are someone who is more into doing it in order to learn, you can get a DDI sub for a month and use the online character builder.  Build a level one character and just hit the "level up to 2" button on the character manager.  It will walk you through how to level up characters from 1 to 30.

And if i buy previosly mentioned books do i then have everything that is needed to play the game to it's fullest or is there still more?

I Think that is all for now,
Roel D. (Bazzmonster)

There are a ton of things that you can buy to improve the experience at table, but the basics are really all you need.  If I was to give someone a list of stuff to buy as a new DM it would be the following:

Players Handbook 1
Rules Compendium
Dungeon Master Guide
Monster Vault 1 or Monster Vault 2
Chessex Game Mat
Wet-erase markers
DDI Subscription.

You can also spread-the-money around a bit by asking your players to supply some of the materials as well. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
When I used XP, we levelled up between sessions because it can sometimes be a lengthy process, depending on the player and the character.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
If one of my players is close to leveling and will likely level up "during" a session but doesn't want to wait, I say they are welcome to bring a second already-leveled character sheet and swap it in after the encounter in question. Allowing that helps lessen the sting when the character is 5xp away from a level and the player knows the big campaign boss villain is coming up. And it doesn't hurt.
If one of my players is close to leveling and will likely level up "during" a session but doesn't want to wait, I say they are welcome to bring a second already-leveled character sheet and swap it in after the encounter in question. Allowing that helps lessen the sting when the character is 5xp away from a level and the player knows the big campaign boss villain is coming up. And it doesn't hurt.

Staggered leveling is usually bad. When one character levels, all characters should be leveling. This is one of the many reasons that many DMs award XP to the party, not the characters, or have dropped XP altogether.
Generally speaking, I couldn't agree more. I don't award individual xp (one player solves a puzzle or roleplays with his Veiled Alliance contact and everyone gets the xp award) and I don't see any point in penalizing for death.

However, I do give individual xp awards each session for our (rotating) session writeup duties. So that does cause a small gap. It generally doesn't lead to big differences--from time to time one guy is level 6 for a session while the others are 7--but I think it's not a problem and well worth the encouragement for writing adventure logs.
Thanks very much to all of you.

Just finished yesterday with creating characters with my gaminggroup and then we'll start with our first adventure
Sign In to post comments