[GTC-ICD] Rubblehulk

110 posts / 0 new
Last post
IMAGE(http://i45.tinypic.com/21cfbqu.png)
Rubblehulk
|
Creature - Elemental (R)
~'s power and toughness are each equal to the number of lands you control.
Bloodrush - , Discard ~: Target attacking creature gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the number of lands you control.
*/*

Source: DailyMTG Present!

Discuss and Merry Christmas! (Get it? It's Red/Green?)
Puresteel players unite! [Archetype] PURESTEEL
Bloodrush is a very interesting thing we have going on here. Your creatures are also all instants?
So...guessing Bloodrush gives the creature's power and toughness to one of your attackers? Interesting mechanic, every creature with Bloodrush can either be a combat trick or a (presumably) beefy creature.
HURK!

That's spicy.

6/6 for 6 is fine.

6/6 for 6 that doubles as a big swingy combat trick is better.
It's rather similar to Channel, I think.
Known as Blitzer on most forums. Despite the username, I am male. Both sex AND gender.
Based on this card alone, it seems way to similar to "Channel".

Edit: Haha, beaten by 2 minutes by being too playful with the card links.

Also, I suspect this will be an intro rare, like previous suspicions of yesterday's revealed Simic card.
Ability word is interesting to me. It can potentially grant abilities, or a bonus different form the creature's P/T, or any number of different things. I'm guessing the constant is going to be "[Cost], discard this card: Target attacking creature gets [bonuses]".

Some other things I see:

I note an absurd amount of parallels between this mechanic and the original(?) design mechanic for Scavenge. Other than the fact that it's discard instead of exile from your graveyard... nearly identical.

I'm quite amused that, in terms of same-card synergy, a card with both Bloodrush and Scavenge would be pretty awesome if they do crossover cards in DGM.

Almost no synergy with Bloodthirst from the original block, Trample aside. It does, however, have a LOT of synergy with... Hellbent. Odd.
Rules Nut Advisor
I do like a 'Lands matter' theme, but in constructed, this is basically a 6-mana dungrove elder without hexproof.
Interesting...

I predict this is the preview of the Gruul mechanic (well duh) but also a strong hint that Gruul will have a sub-theme of "lands matter"

Now that I think about it, R/G are the two colors that care about lands the most.  Red likes charging a Fireball and green likes mana ramping.  Red and green can also destroy lands.

In fact, I wonder if Simic will have a sub-theme of "drawing cards" 

Casual Magic player since 2003 (Onslaught Block). 60% Johnny, 40% Timmy. Want a free, graphics-based, collection database to inventory your cards? I made one! Feedback welcome. Program runs offline, includes powerful search options, art, Oracle text, data import/export, and a rigorously updated list of every card ever printed. Version 5.13 (Theros) now available!

So. Green needs an iconic creature type, eh? How about wurms!

One Billion Words - 1001 Fantasy Landscapes: Share DnD-ish landscapes for use in homebrew campaigns!

I am always down for more toys for rings of brighthearth
Of Course it is Channel from Kamigawa with a new name
but I always thought it had a good bit a disign space.  I honestly thought Wizards would have used it in a core set since it
is pretty easy to grasp and has no memory issues, but it seems like i am wrong. At least for the forseeable future

Eidt: And Ninja for the channel-ess

Artwork is very nice, and the card seems solid.

Bloodrush seems like an interesting mechanic and it's managed to whet my appetite for more Gruul cards.
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
Interesting...

I predict this is the preview of the Gruul mechanic (well duh) but also a strong hint that Gruul will have a sub-theme of "lands matter"

Now that I think about it, R/G are the two colors that care about lands the most.  Red likes charging a Fireball and green likes mana ramping.  Red and green can also destroy lands.

In fact, I wonder if Simic will have a sub-theme of "drawing cards" 

This also fits with the flavor of the Gruul. Originally, a loooonnng time ago the Gruul were a little more respected and were givein
the duty of protecting Ravnica's wilderness areas.  They often attack in order to  take back their teritorry and also to break things
Actually 'land matters" will fit for Ravnica as a whole. Maybe it will be a theme for Ravnica block # 3.
Not a huge fan of Bloodrush, to be honest. Evolve is very interesting, but this doesn't have much room for innovation and feels way too similar to existing mechanics. By the way this ability is worded, it seems obvious that Gruul is going to play as hyper aggressive, possibly way faster than even Rakdos. It creates opportunities for being 2-for-1'd with removal every time you use it as well.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
This card seems quite playable. It's a decent drop when you need it to be, but it's a much better combat trick. I can't wait to see more with this keyword.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
This card--nor the bloodrush mechanic as a whole--does not necessarily point to a "lands matters" theme.  Bloodrush is nothing more than an activated ability that requires you to discard the card with bloodrush on it, as well as pay some sort of other cost (in this case, some mana) in order to gain an effect at instant speed.  Based on this card and this card alone, there is no evidence to support that lands matter, or that this mechanic only affects target attacking creatures, or that this mechanic is only found on creature cards, or anything like that.  All that we can safely say is that bloodrush is an activated ability that requires a cost that includes discarding the card.

Rules Advisor

Not a huge fan of Bloodrush, to be honest. Evolve is very interesting, but this doesn't have much room for innovation and feels way too similar to existing mechanics. By the way this ability is worded, it seems obvious that Gruul is going to play as hyper aggressive, possibly way faster than even Rakdos. It creates opportunities for being 2-for-1'd with removal every time you use it as well.

As far as getting 2 for 1'd goes, that's the same for any pump spell. This one just has the added benefit of not being a dead card if you know your opponent is holding removal.
Fair enough, I guess if they ever wanted to make pump spells constructed playable in fair decks (infect is just a combo deck) this could work. But  then it means the creatures themselves have to be good, and probably a creature with bloodrush will cost 1 extra mana compared to a creature with the same stats/abilities.

I wonder how far can they push it...

Gruul Dude
Creature - Something
Bloodrush - , Discard ~: Target attacking creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
2/2

Too good?

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I think that would make an excellent rare. Compared with something like Diregraf Ghoul, it might be too strong for uncommon, though.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Nothing about that 2/2 is rare. It would be an injustice at rare.

Am I the only one who loves this mechanic? All creatures also being combat tricks makes for interesting play decisions and might actually make combat tricks more playable in constructed. Sign me up!

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Am I the only one who loves this mechanic? All creatures also being combat tricks makes for interesting play decisions and might actually make combat tricks more playable in constructed. Sign me up!

I'll say it again:  Don't get your hopes up that every creature with bloodrush will be a combat trick.  This card proves nothing.  Not everything with landfall gave you tokens, and not everything with morbid granted power/toughness loss.

That being said, I am excited to see what this mechanic brings.

Rules Advisor

I'm not sure what bloodrush is. Is it meant to be a discard effect for whatever? In that case, it wouldn't make sense as an ability word. A bonus for attacking creatures? A bonus other than a pump? Is the pump equal to the creature's power?

But, yes, comparisons to Channel and Reinforce are inevitable.
Bloodrush is indeed similar to Channel and Reinforce, however each has a distinct use.

Channel simulates an ability or effect of the channeled card; while Rubblehulk here appears to be doing similar, it should be noted that only one Channel card actually boosted P/T, the Ghost-Lit Nourisher, and only because its activated ability did so.

Reinforce N placed N +1/+1 counters on a target creature, a much simpler and more straightforward effect.

Bloodrush, I suspect, is designed purely to boost a creature's P/T, following the apparent underlying theme of linear abilities in the RTR block. We'll need to see more cards with the ability before we can be sure of the specifics, however.

Hm, quite interesting mechanic, but not fun of this mechanic except this ability are stick on undercosted creature with undercosted ability.
Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!
HURK!

That's spicy.

6/6 for 6 is fine.

6/6 for 6 that doubles as a big swingy combat trick is better.

However, with all the non-land mana sources there will be, he's often a 5/5 for 6, or a 4/4 for 6. 

I'm not saying this makes him bad, but I don't think it's accurate to call him a 6/6 for 6 (in limited).
Deceptively powerful, the same way Kessig Wolf Run was.  Anything with ramp and trample makes this guy a little nuts. And when you need a dude, he's a pretty respectable dude.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Nothing about that 2/2 is rare. It would be an injustice at rare.

It'd be a constructed plant, not something you want at common or uncommon for limited, so very obviously would need to be a rare.
Is it just me, or does this new mechanic seem much more Rakdos than it does Gruul?

Seems like this was meant for a Hellbent deck *shrug*

Oh well, I will at least reserve judgement on the mechanic till we see a few more cards with it to determine if this is actually any good or not.

Also, to all the people who thought this art was for a Rumbling Slum reprint, you were wrong! haha.

Edit: The mechanic also seems to have potential in Reanimator depending on if we get some worthwhile creatures with it. Having cards that function as their own discard outlet while giving you something in return seems like it could be nice. Remains to be seen if we get anything that would actually be worth playing in that sort of deck though.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
Almost no synergy with Bloodthirst from the original block, Trample aside. It does, however, have a LOT of synergy with... Hellbent. Odd.

The potential of a combat trick makes your opponent less likely to want to block. (Or more likely, depending on your life total.)
It's not too bad.

Like suudsu, I'll agree that I like it. Combat tricks are hard to make constructed playable, if they double as threats, that's even better.

I like that Gruul's mechanics are both "play after combat", requiring "intelligent" play.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Interesting.

The card is pretty good. As a creature its good but nothing spectacular on its own. Using the mechanic though it can be a really effective combat trick.

As for the mechanic; i cant really decide yet, need to see more examples. But if it goes into the direction i think it will it can be really fun having your creatures doubling as instants.

Edit: The mechanic also seems to have potential in Reanimator depending on if we get some worthwhile creatures with it. Having cards that function as their own discard outlet while giving you something in return seems like it could be nice. Remains to be seen if we get anything that would actually be worth playing in that sort of deck though.

I think this and Borborygmos 2.0 are a good start.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
i can see gruul having all creature decks with this mechanic

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
This mechanic looks pretty awesome to me.  Giving the cards in your hand multiple ways to be used is always a good thing, especially since the ability can be used at Instant speed.  That flexibility will go a long way.  
i can see gruul having all creature decks with this mechanic

Plus Rancor.

IMAGE(http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/jdealer90/RandomAnimal.jpg)

I like this card, it looks like it can be quite fun.

<----- Loser.

I just realized. It can be Revived. I think there's something awesome there.
Boring.

3DH4LIF3

Wonder if the mechanic will also grant abilities i.e. would a 3/3 trmple with this ability give +3/+3 or +3/+3 and trample?
I just realized. It can be Revived. I think there's something awesome there.

How about a couple of Revives and a Dual Casting?  Get your lands ramped, Boundless Realms, and Bloodrush this guy a few times in a row!

IMAGE(http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/jdealer90/RandomAnimal.jpg)

It's an alright card; definite threat in limited and block constructed but may be tough finding a home in Standard unless another R/G Ramp deck is introduced to standard for the 3rd year in a row, or Naya midranged takes off. But even then it may still be hard; for one, Kessig Wolf Run is still in standard, and while they would usually be in the same deck, Kessig will be in more decks due to taking up the land and pump spot, leaving you room for something else. The other is that it has stiff competition right now at its CMC in Thragtusk and, to a lesser extent, Wolfir Silverheart and Deadbridge Goliath (which is actually really similar to this).

I actually have really high hopes for Naya midranged right now; it has all the pieces it could want in this standard: Thrag, Pilgrim, Shocks, Farseek, and amazing 4-6 cmc creatures+Loxodon Smiter.
A wise man on film sequels:
Watching sequels to really good films is like visiting a bollock kicking parlour, paying your money and then proceeding to get your bollocks kicked...then leaving and returning at a later date to repeat the process. -iamthehollow
Decks: :R::G: Karn Tron :R::U: Bloody Fish There Will Be Blood (movie).