Improviser Class

4 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hey everyone! I thought I'd post a class I've been working! It's really on just a work in progress of mine. Me and a couple friends were tossing around the idea so this is what I came up with!

The Improviser

Class - Improviser

Role - Controller. You make use of all your surroundings, equipment, and even you're opponents to control the flow of battle. You always have a card up your sleeve, and can double as a defender or Striker.

Power Source: Martial. Your talents depend on quick reflexes, toughness, and battle hardened situational awareness.

Key Abilities: Strength, Dexterity, Constitution

Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, Leather, Hide, Chainmail, Light Shields

Weapon Proficiencies: , Simple Melee, Simple Ranged

Bonus To Defense: Fortitude +1 reflex +1

Hit Points at 1st Level: 13 + Constitution Score
Hit Points per level gained: 5
Healing Surges Per day: 8 + Constitution Modifier

Trained Skills: Perception and Dungeoneering and from the class skills list below, choose 4 more trained
Acrobatics, Athletics, Insight, Bluff, Intimidate, Streetwise, Endurance, Heal, Stealth, Thievery

Build Options: Devilish Improviser, Survivalist Improviser

Class Features: Improvised Proficiency, Improviser tactics, Improvised Mastery

Improviser Tactics: choose one of the following options. The choice you make provides certain bonuses to improviser powers

Devilish Improviser: Each of your improviser powers that imposes a condition on an enemy also gains -                                                                    After Effect: Until end of its next turn target is vulnerable 10 or takes a -2 penalty to all defenses.                                                                                     Level 11 Vulnerable 15 or -4 penalty                                                                                                                                                                                                      Level 21 Vulnerable 25 or -6 penalty

Survivalist Improviser: Each of your Improviser powers that imposes a condition on an enemy also gains-                                                                   After Effect: Until end of its next turn target is weakened or takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls                                                                                   
Level 11 weakened or – 4 penalty                                                                                                                                                                                                      Level 21 weakened and immobilized or -6 penalty

Improvised Mastery: When wielding an improvised weapon the base range is 5-10 squares and your weapon damage die is increased by 1 size, 2 sizes at 16th level, and 3 sizes at 24th.

Improvised Proficiency: Gain a + 3 bonus to attack rolls when wielding improvised weapons. This bonus increases to +4 at level 6, +6 at level 11, +7 at level 16, +8 at level 21, +9 at level 28

Level 1 At Will Powers:

Forceful Strike:
Gathering strength you throw the entire force of your body into the attack sending your enemy stumbling backwards.
At-Will * Martial, Weapon
Standard Action                                        Melee Weapon                                                                                                                                                                   Requirement: you must be wielding an improvised weapon
Target: one Creature
Attack: Strength vs. AC                                                                                                         
Hit: Strength Modifier Damage and target is pushed 2 squares. If the target moves adjacent to an ally during this movement that ally can make an opportunity attack against that enemy.
Level 21 2[W] + Strength Modifier and target is pushed 4 squares

A Quick Bashing:
You dizzy your target by smashing your weapon over his head
At-Will * Martial, Weapon
Standard Action                                            Melee Weapon
Target: One Creature
Requirement: Must be wielding an Improvised Weapon
Hit: 1[W] + Strength Modifier Damage and takes  penalty to attack rolls equal to your constitution modifier until the end of its next turn.

Clearing a path:
You make and opening in the battle by throwing a nearby object and darting into the fray.                                                                                                     At-will* Martial, Weapon
Standard action                                                         Ranged Weapon
Target: One Creature                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Attack: Strength vs. Reflex
Requirement: You must be wielding an improvised weapon
Hit: 1[W] + Strength Modifier damage and target is marked                                                                                                                                                      Special: If any enemies block line of sight for this attack shift them 1 square before making the attack.                                                                      Effect: Shift your speed towards the target along the exact path of your ranged attack.

Home safe:
Gathering speed and taking aim at an enemy you slide into him from a low angle                                                                                                             At-will* Martial, Weapon
Standard action
Special: Shift 3 squares towards the target before the attack you may move through enemy squares during this movement but you may not end your movement there.
Target: One Creature
Hit: 1[W] + Strength Modifier and target is knocked prone and slowed (save ends)                                                                                                                     Special: This attack may be made in place of a charge attack                                     

Level 1 Encounter powers

The Old Switcheroo
You move nimbly across the battle field to strike your opponent, confusing him and taking control of his momentum.                                                      Encounter* Martial, Weapon
Standard Action                                            Melee Weapon
Requirement: you must be wielding an improvised melee weapon                                                                                                                                            Target: One creature
Attack: Strength vs. Reflex                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Special: You may choose Shift 1 square before or after the attack
Hit: 2[W] + Strength Modifier and you may switch occupied squares with the target.
Survivalist Improviser: Until the end of your next turn the next attack made against you by any other creature is instead made against the target.

Provocation Play                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     You keep your cool while using your wits to make your enemies lose theirs                                                                                                                   Encounter* Martial, Weapon                                                                                                                                                                                                          Standard Action:                                Ranged Weapon                                                                                                                                                          Requirement: You must be wielding an improvised weapon                                                                                                                                                   Target: One creature                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Attack: Strength vs. AC                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Hit: 1[W] + Strength Modifier damage and the target is distracted until the end of its next turn. While distracted an enemy must make an attack against you during their turn or be stunned at the start of their next turn. If an enemy cannot attack you it must end its turn as close to you as possible.

Obvious Openings                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    You completely toss away your guard and your opponent follows suit                                                                                                                                             Encounter* Martial, Weapon                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Standard action                                                         Melee Weapon                                                                                                                                           Special: Before the attack the target makes an attack against you. This attack provokes an opportunity attack from every adjacent ally.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Devilish Improviser: Allies gain a bonus to the opportunity attacks equal to your Dexterity modifier.                                                                                    Target: One Creature                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Attack: Strength vs. AC                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Hit: 1[W] + Strength Modifier Damage

Level 1 Daily Powers

Dirty Flurry                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                You viciously attack your targets weak points in quick succession                                                                                                                                                   Daily* Martial Weapon                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Standard Action                                                    Melee Weapon                                                                                                                                  Requirement: you must be wielding an improvised weapon.                                                                                                                                                    Target: one,two, or three adjacent creatures                                                                                                                                                                                    Attack: Strength vs. AC, Two Attacks                                                                                                                                                                                                       Hit: If 1 attack hit the target is blinded until end of next turn. If two attacks hit target is blinded and dazed until end of next turn.                                Special: If a critical hit is scored on any of the attack rolls this power is not expended after its use.

Meat Shielder                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            You smash your opponent and then use his disoriented body to your advantage.                                                                                                                      Daily* Martial Weapon                                                                                                                                                                                                                Standard Action                                                        Melee Weapon                                                                                                                                           Requirement: You must be wielding an improvised weapon                                                                                                                                                             Target: One Creature                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Attack: Strength vs. AC                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage and make a secondary attack.                                                                                                                             Secondary Attack: Strength vs. Reflex                                                                                                                                                                                                 Hit: The target is dazed and restrained until the end of your next turn. You the move into the targets space and are consdiered to be sharing a square. Until the end of you next turn the target moves with you during any of your movement and any attacks made against you are made against the target instead.

Feign Death                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Some quick thinking and good acting lets you take your enemies by surprise                                                                                                                     Daily* Martial                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Immediate Reaction                                                  Personal                                                                                                                                                             Trigger: You take damage.                                                                                                                                                                                                              Effect: You fall prone and are considered dead until the start of yoru next turn though your hit points remain the same. At the start of your next turn you may stand up a free action and make all adjacent enemies surprised until the end of their next turn.

I want some criticism just don't be too harsh I'm new at this. Also I'd like comments on what you think of the Improviser class in general and any new ideas would be super useful! Thanx for the feedback!

You really need to fix your formatting. The powers are pretty much illegible to me. So I'll only comment on what I can actually read:

Your HP and surge values are... odd. 10 + Constitution, +4 every level after, is standard Controller HP. Even the Druid only has 12 + Constitution at first level and +5 each level after, and Primal classes are always more durable than other classes.

Getting 8 + CON surges is HUGE. Standard controller is 6, Druid is 7. Ranger and Rogue only get 6 and most of their builds are melee strikers. Fighter only gets 9. And you have CON secondary here, which means you get even more surges by default. The way that works out, you wind up with a lot more HP per day than your role would suggest.

Also, skills: Rogue gets two automatic skills and four chosen skills. Ranger gets one automatic skill and four chosen skills. And having a lot of skills is basically the Rogue's "thing." So you may want to drop the number of skills by one.

Furthermore, the word is spelled "thanks." I don't care how many x's you have in your username, have a little respect for the English language.
Gunmage, a homebrew arcane striker. (Heroic Tier playtest ready.) GDocs link. (More up to date.)
You really need to fix your formatting. The powers are pretty much illegible to me. So I'll only comment on what I can actually read:
Furthermore, the word is spelled "thanks." I don't care how many x's you have in your username, have a little respect for the English language.

Basically, that entire post, +1.

Also, Arena Fighter does it better.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..

I like the idea behind this class a lot, and actually worked on making a character like this w/pre existing material. What I ended with is this.

(Class)Arena Fighter /(feat)Multi-class into Barbarian/ (feat) deft hurler style/(feat)Improvised Missile.

So I Agree w/Tech Priest on that Arena Fighters are the route to go when it comes to standard improvised play.

What I would do if I was you, is Remake the Arena Fighter class to focus ONLY on Improvised Weapons (drop its other class features for some of those you already made)

And change its powers/abilities to focus around improvised combat instead of regular combat.

Once again really like the idea behind the class, hope you keep working on it.

Also feel free to ignore the grammar Nazi’s, I have found people who have nothing better to do then to be critics your grammar, really, really need to get a life.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

Sign In to post comments