Scion of the Ur-Dragon

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I control Scion of the Ur-Dragon and attack my opponent. He declares no blockers. I activate Scion of the Ur-Dragon's ability during the combat damage step. My opponent allows the ability to resolve. I search for and  put Dragon Tyrant in my graveyard. Can my opponent bounce/destroy/exile Scion after the ability resolves to avoid receiving combat damage?
Just for the record, the last chance you'd get to activate the ability in order to take advantage of double strike is during the declare blockers step, not the combat damage step, given that the first thing that happens in the combat damage step is the special action of assigning and dealing damage.

In any case, if you activated the ability in the declare blockers step, and its allowed to resolve, you'll gain priority after its resolved. In order to get to the combat damage step, all players will need to pass without taking action. However, your opponent is free to take action instead of just passing - as such, yes, they can remove your Scion-Dragon Tyrant before getting to the combat damage step.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
Double strike damage aside, will my opponent take damage from Scion (e.g.: 4 damage) or from the copied dragon card (in this case, 6 regular combat damage from Dragon Tyrant)?
Double strike damage aside, will my opponent take damage from Scion (e.g.: 4 damage) or from the copied dragon card (in this case, 6 regular combat damage from Dragon Tyrant)?

Neither if he kills/destroys/exiles/bounces it.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Let me rephrase my question. I attack with Scion. My opponent declares no blockers. I activate Scion's  ability during the combat damage step. I search for Draco and put it in the graveyard. Does my opponent take 4 damage or 9 damage?
Let me rephrase my question. I attack with Scion. My opponent declares no blockers. I activate Scion's  ability during the combat damage step. I search for Draco and put it in the graveyard. Does my opponent take 4 damage or 9 damage?

If activated during the declare blockers step, 9 damage.
If activated during the combat damage step, 4 damage.

510. Combat Damage Step

510.1. First, the active player announces how each attacking creature assigns its combat damage, then the defending player announces how each blocking creature assigns its combat damage. This turn-based action doesn't use the stack. A player assigns a creature's combat damage according to the following rules:

Here's what you said just happened: 

Declare Blockers step
A1 You opponent declares no blockers
A2 You do nothing
A3 Your opponent does nothing

Combat damage step
B1 Combat damage happens (This is the first thing that happens in this step) so your opponent takes 4.
B2 You search for draco

The problem with your question is you are playing with A2 and A3 as part of what you think is the combat damage step, and then damage registering at the end of the step. This is NOT how the vocabulary is defined.

What you need to do if you want to do what you are trying to do is activate Scion after your opponent declares no blockers but before damage happens. This window of opportunity is at the end of the declare blockers step, not the begining of the combat damage step.      

Four.

At the start of the Combat Damage step, the Scion assigns and deals combat damage equal to its power.

Then you activate the Scion. Since nothing in this game is retroactive, changing the power of the Scion won't change the amount of damage you deal. Neither will giving the Scion double strike after the combat damage step starts, since the changes in what creatures assign damage and the creation of the second combat damage step occur only after the first combat damage step starts.
Still blessed by Julia of Hillsdown. M:tG Rules Adviser You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I attack with Scion. My opponent declares no blockers. I activate Scion's  ability during the combat damage step. I search for Draco and put it in the graveyard. Does my opponent take 4 damage or 9 damage?

note: if you activate Scion's ability in the Declare Blocker's step instead, it'll deal 9.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.