First time playing an evil character

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello all, I have been play d&d for about a month now and this is going to be my first time playing an evil character. The campaign story is basically there has been sightings of cultist near the shadowfell keep and its up to the group to stop them. My views on a functioning evil character is someone willing to do anything for what he thinks is right. They are not bound by morals and would often do cruel acts for the what they think is the greater good. I felt like my character needed a reedeming quality in order for him to have a reason to join the party but do you think its out of character to give him that? I feel as though his secrets and goals are little weak any help there would be apperciated. Also any feedback at all would be helpful especially if you post up experiences of your evil characters that way I know how they play like.

Concepts&Elements

1.Serif Daeduls is an Avenger working for an organization which seeks out and destroys heretics. Needless to say he enjoys his profession very much and feels that hes cleansing the world of the evil filth that plague it.

2.Serif is sly,manipulative, and cunning. He feels that it is easier to persaude and manipulate people rather than outright killing though he is not above doing that if his plans fail. Serif does not view himself as evil and believes the ends justifies the means.

3. Serif goes on a mission with a cleric named Ahri because of a mistake Serif made Ahri gets captured by cultist. When he goes back to his organization Grandmaster Varrok tells Serif to forget her and that kind of stuff happens in their line of work. Serif disobeys his organzation and goes after to find Ahri.

Goals
1.Serif wants to find Ahri and bring her back safely.

2.He would also want to seek and destroy all the cultist invovled

Secrets

1.Serif is a sociopath. He enjoys killing,torturting his enemies and is not above slaying an unarmed foe. But even so he does not view himself as evil he rationalizes this as himself being weapon for his god.

2. Serif loves Ahri but never told her as he feels unworthy of her.

Relationships

1. Ahri is one of the clerics in the organization she and Serifs would often go on missions together. Through these missions Serif would eventually fall in love with Ahri. She is everything Serif is not kind, compassionate, and innoncent. While Serif would find pleasure in killing heretics Ahri would weep for them.

2. Grandmaster Vorrak is the leader of the organization. He found Serif when he was a child, Serif and his family had been kidnapped by cultist for a ritual. Both of Serif family were killed by the cultist during the ritual, Vorrak saved Serif and gave him a new life in the organization.

Mannerism, Quirks, and memories

1. Serif would often leave a enemy who he deems worthy alive after battle to read them their last rites and send them off to the after life with a blaze of radiant fire.

2. Serif will not directly kill innocent people. He will however torture, and manipulate if he feels it futher his goals.

3. Serif will pray before every battle and hide the pendant that Ahri gave him underneath his shirt.

Hello all, I have been play d&d for about a month now and this is going to be my first time playing an evil character. The campaign story is basically there has been sightings of cultist near the shadowfell keep and its up to the group to stop them. My views on a functioning evil character is someone willing to do anything for what he thinks is right. They are not bound by morals and would often do cruel acts for the what they think is the greater good. I felt like my character needed a reedeming quality in order for him to have a reason to join the party but do you think its out of character to give him that? I feel as though his secrets and goals are little weak any help there would be apperciated. Also any feedback at all would be helpful especially if you post up experiences of your evil characters that way I know how they play like.

Concepts&Elements

1.Serif Daeduls is an Avenger working for an organization which seeks out and destroys heretics. Needless to say he enjoys his profession very much and feels that hes cleansing the world of the evil filth that plague it. [1]

2.Serif is sly,manipulative, and cunning. He feels that it is easier to persaude and manipulate people rather than outright killing though he is not above doing that if his plans fail. Serif does not view himself as evil and believes the ends justifies the means. [2]

3. Serif goes on a mission with a cleric named Ahri because of a mistake Serif made Ahri gets captured by cultist. When he goes back to his organization Grandmaster Varrok tells Serif to forget her and that kind of stuff happens in their line of work. Serif disobeys his organzation and goes after to find Ahri.

Goals
1.Serif wants to find Ahri and bring her back safely.

2.He would also want to seek and destroy all the cultist invovled

Secrets

1.Serif is a sociopath. He enjoys killing,torturting his enemies and is not above slaying an unarmed foe. But even so he does not view himself as evil he rationalizes this as himself being weapon for his god. [3]

2. Serif loves Ahri but never told her as he feels unworthy of her.

Relationships

1. Ahri is one of the clerics in the organization she and Serifs would often go on missions together. Through these missions Serif would eventually fall in love with Ahri. She is everything Serif is not kind, compassionate, and innoncent. While Serif would find pleasure in killing heretics Ahri would weep for them.

2. Grandmaster Vorrak is the leader of the organization. He found Serif when he was a child, Serif and his family had been kidnapped by cultist for a ritual. Both of Serif family were killed by the cultist during the ritual, Vorrak saved Serif and gave him a new life in the organization.

Mannerism, Quirks, and memories

1. Serif would often leave a enemy who he deems worthy alive after battle to read them their last rites and send them off to the after life with a blaze of radiant fire.

2. Serif will not directly kill innocent people. He will however torture, and manipulate if he feels it futher his goals.

3. Serif will pray before every battle and hide the pendant that Ahri gave him underneath his shirt.

So so far I actually rather like this character, there are flecks of gold to be found here. He's evil without feeling the need to be evil, and without realizing that a good deal of what he does is, itself, evil. He also has a moral compass of sorts, a warped one, but nonetheless redeeming features. I am a believer in characters that have flexibility either way, this character sounds like he has at least a chance to find himself redeemed by the love of his life, and does seem to realize that she is the sort of moral "better half" that he isn't. It's certainly not the first time I've seen this kind of backstory, but this character is interesting enough that he lends a new life to it. And really, all storytelling is a retelling of older stories.

I wouldn't really call this character evil so much as unaligned, his moral views are warped beyond measure, but he has good aspirations, the same thing cannot be said of an evil character who is doing what he's doing solely for selfish means (material gain, personal prestige, etc.)

1. An excellent profession for an evil character, and certainly one where he probably wouldn't be the only one who might take it too far.

2. I like this aspect, he's not per se irredeemably evil, nor does he have evil goals, he just believes that,  as you said, the ends justify the means, he's willing to go beyond the pale in accomplishing his goal.

3. A sociopath is an unfeeling person. He wouldn't feel bad or good about his actions, he basically wouldn't feel anything at all. A psychopath is someone who can cross the line into being deliberately cruel and enjoying it, also overlaps with sadism, which has connotations of deriving sexual pleasure from inflicting pain. Your character is more a psychopath than a sociopath.

I think the only question I have that's really unresolved is what of this cult kidnapping that happened to him? Would you say that is sort of the start of what drives him to act as ruthlessly as he does, or was that always that way?