Any good Free-to-play MMORPG's?

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
Other than DDO, ROM are there any good Free to Play MMORPG's?

I'm looking for something to play for the next few days...Smile
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
Guild Wars 2 is pretty good.  You do, though, need to purchase the game.  After that it's free to play.  Er, in other words there's no sub needed.
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

League of Legends is technically an MMO.

DungeonFighterOnline is pretty fun .
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

Guild Wars 2 is pretty good.  You do, though, need to purchase the game.  After that it's free to play.  Er, in other words there's no sub needed.

Uh... I'm looking for something that I can download and play within the next few days, not something I have to spend money on.

I tried League of Legends, but I'm not into fancified tower defense games...Smile
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
League of Legends is technically an MMO.

DungeonFighterOnline is pretty fun .

Dungeon Fighter Online is 2d side scrolling action right? No thanks. I'm looking for a more RPG style 3D game...Smile
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
Something like DDO or ROM, but that don't cap you out and make it impossible to level without buying stuff past a certain point...Smile
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
Uh... I'm looking for something that I can download and play within the next few days, not something I have to spend money on.

I tried League of Legends, but I'm not into fancified tower defense games...Smile

dood, it was only like $60 and I wouldn't be surprised if they had some sort of hoilday deal right now.  I mean, Santa's gonna hook you up with at least $60, right? 

Champions is ok or so I've heard.  Also totally free now - albeit with a slightly different user experience.

Section Six Soldier

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

dood, it was only like $60 and I wouldn't be surprised if they had some sort of hoilday deal right now.  I mean, Santa's gonna hook you up with at least $60, right? 

Champions is ok or so I've heard.  Also totally free now - albeit with a slightly different user experience.

I got a letter from santa:

"Due to the bad economy and budge cuts here at the north pole, based on your station in life and your expected earnings for the year we have come to the conclusion that you will only get $20 for christmas this year."

I was sad

I already spent it on fast food...

So yeah, no money until the 1st. I need something to do for about 3-5 days. I've been watching anime, but you can only watch 50-60 hours of anime before you start getting burnt out...Smile
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
Dude... fast food? Don't you know about all the mind altering chemicals, not to mention cancer causing agents, they pump into fast food? You'll never see the end of the world at this rate.
Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
My temple name is Elohim. What is your super-secret temple name?
Riddle me this
How can two people with physical bodies make spirit babies?
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
Dude... fast food? Don't you know about all the mind altering chemicals, not to mention cancer causing agents, they pump into fast food? You'll never see the end of the world at this rate.

Yeah, but you can handle it about once or twice a year before it starts messing with you...Smile

I love the reconstituted meat product that McDonald's calls the McRib, that thing gives you half your saturated fat for the day when you eat it. Its basically a heart attack waiting to happen...Smile
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
Theres always Need for Speed World, its not an MMO but it is FREE!
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Theres always Need for Speed World, its not an MMO but it is FREE!

Eh... I want an MMO RPG...Smile
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
Yeah, but its FREE!!!!!

and theres a code for a free car F7P9-SWL2-GTA6-8QNZ 
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Yeah, but its FREE!!!!!

Dude, how long have you been trying to get people to play this game? 

Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
My temple name is Elohim. What is your super-secret temple name?
Riddle me this
How can two people with physical bodies make spirit babies?
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.

I liked Spiral Knights, though it's more of an action game similar to Zelda and has a cutesy colorful world with Black Mage/Marvin the Martian like characters. Which are the most likely reasons for me to have invested so much time into the game. I got to the endgame without spending any real money though, I even managed to collect all accessories I wanted.

Yeah, but its FREE!!!!!

Dude, how long have you been trying to get people to play this game? 

Only about 8 months now. Whats funny is another forum member turned me on to it, but hes since disappeared, and all that talk of kicking my ass at Need for Speed too!
I found Vindictus, its an action based one, but kinda fun. It has some draw backs. Your class is gender-locked, and I like playing magic-users and the only magic user is a hot chick. Guess I'll be force to dress up and watch a hot chick fling magic... Poor me...
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
Knights of the Old Republic is also free to play.

World of Warcraft is also free to play (to level 20, I think..)

And DDO is awesome. :p
Show
Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly an adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author's opinon an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. (AD&D) is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek the use of imagination and creativity.... In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which an fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously. For fun, excitement and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed.As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe or even as a reflection of midieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the later must search elsewhere. - Gary Gygax. 1e DMG.
Lies!  DDO is horrible.  I mean, we tried to play together as OTTers even and that failed.  Just really don't like that game at all. 

Section Six Soldier

Lies!  DDO is horrible.  I mean, we tried to play together as OTTers even and that failed.  Just really don't like that game at all. 

That's because it's 3.5 instead of it's superior successor
Of course Pathfinder is better, they added alot to improve gameplay, its very important for everyone to have a fly skill 
Fly spell was fine, I just dont think it needs to be a skill, the 3e skill list was cluttered enough with out adding Fly, which many characters are never even going to use. 
What did it even represent? Flapping your arms?
Man, 3.5 and it's permutations are weird.
This edition warring is going to draw the attention of the ORKs, and result in bannings and ORK posts.
Carry on.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."- John Stuart Mill “Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”― William F. Buckley "The straw in your man is amazing."- Maxperson Original Hipster of the House of Trolls: I was hipster before hipster was cool Resident Hater Mini Hate Machine
This edition warring is going to draw the attention of the ORKs, and result in bannings and ORK posts.
Carry on.

Oi! Orks iz da best, see, cuz we'z bigga, greena, an' meana den any uv yew stinkin 'umie gits! Dem wot callz demselves ORCs izn't as proppa, though. WAAAGH!!

Ahem. Carry on.
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne! Resident Invisible Man Lurker in the House of Trolls A Testament to My Glory

Maybe you just had a bad group. That's why I tend to play solo.
Show
Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly an adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author's opinon an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. (AD&D) is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek the use of imagination and creativity.... In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which an fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously. For fun, excitement and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed.As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe or even as a reflection of midieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the later must search elsewhere. - Gary Gygax. 1e DMG.

Maybe you just had a bad group. That's why I tend to play solo.

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
You know what is weird, hippies like you. 

Whatever you say.
Show
Loser
I'm a big fan of PhantasyRPG personally. It's a smallish MMO that has a great community. It also doesn't require that much computing power and you can play on your phone.
Check out this cool game! Just started a new campaign, looking for advice!
I play Maple Story. 
IMAGE(http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/RockNrollBabe20/Charmed-supernatural-and-charmed_zps8bd4125f.jpg)
I play Maple Story. 

Heh, about a year or more ago I've started a new account on the Euro version this time. Man, did that game change since my first character.
I play Maple Story. 

Heh, about a year or more ago I've started a new account on the Euro version this time. Man, did that game change since my first character.

Its even changed a lot since then. More character classes and lots of other changes in the game. Wed the Angelic Buster comes out! I can't wait!

IMAGE(http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/RockNrollBabe20/Charmed-supernatural-and-charmed_zps8bd4125f.jpg)
Exactly, when I first started there were four jobs with two weapon-based branches each (except the mage, who had three schools). Then pirates and Arient were added. Then, that last time I played, there were some "cygnus knights" with more linear schools.
I think Maple Island stopped being mandatory and Victoria used to be much, much bigger, with four different dungeon entrances instead of one being a hub, as well as alternate routes between towns. And Pig Beach used to be a secret location.
The game never stopped being a sluggish grind fest though, did it?
Exactly, when I first started there were four jobs with two weapon-based branches each (except the mage, who had three schools). Then pirates and Arient were added. Then, that last time I played, there were some "cygnus knights" with more linear schools.
I think Maple Island stopped being mandatory and Victoria used to be much, much bigger, with four different dungeon entrances instead of one being a hub, as well as alternate routes between towns. And Pig Beach used to be a secret location.
The game never stopped being a sluggish grind fest though, did it?

Nope. It still is, lol. I just find it fun.

Yeah, grinding is why I don't really like MMOs, especially F2P ones (they tend to be particularly bad about this).

Wizardly Online just came out.
Sign In to post comments