Does Rakdos suck?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all,

My last few drafts I have felt "pushed into" Rakdos by getting passed crazy good cards. I'm talking decks with 2 guildmages, 2 hellhole flailers, 2 splatter thugs, 2 stab wounds, ultimate price, dreadbore, chainwalkers, dead revelers, you know, perfect curve pure aggression with removal on the side. But I have just not had success with them. Recently lost in the finals with literally the perfect deck, to a mediocre selesnya, and just last night lost in round 2, also to selesnya.

Meanwhile, I recently got a fairly "ok" selesnya deck, ok it was pretty good, had growing ranks and 2 call of conclave and a wayfaring temple, stuff like that, and it went 6-0 easily.

Point of the thread is, I'm feeling like a mediocre selesnya deck still beats a really good rakdos deck. Am I dumb to think this? Am I just bummed that I lost those games and need to suck it up? I am really hesitant to draft rakdos any more at this point, no matter what cards are in the pack. 
Rakdos decks can be stupid strong. But if you don't have a decent opening hand you can lose to Selesnya pretty handily, because you have no late game to speak of. Don't be afraid to mulligan.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

What escef said. There are some cards, especially in selsnya, that shut down the rakdos strategy handily. Centaur healers are a huge issue in my experience, especially with some combat tricks for support. (Giant.growth, swift justice etc.
I get the same feeling really.  Was straight Rakdos, was a bit above average (Though not great:  No stab wounds to speak of, as I had to pass the only one I saw that night due to a Pack Rat).  Still, good removal overall (Two Annilating fire and two Launchparty, coupled with a sideboarded in electrickery), twice the Thugs and Chainwalkers, Chaos Imps for a late game beater.  And I was beat out by both an Azorius flyer deck that simply bounced everything I had on the table (Granted, in two of the three games I missed my 4th turn land drop which stalled me a bit harder than him), and an Izzet deck (Which countered or burned everything I played from turn three on, including any removal I attempted to play, and I couldn't get any board position at all).

I'm just thinking it's a bit fragile, and can be shattered pretty good.
1:  There's a term called "variance", which basically means that your results may vary.  Sometimes your opponent will open with call of the conclave into centaur healer into eyes in the skies while you get a whole lot of nothing, and sometimes you'll chainwalker into flailer into traitorous instinct for their blocker, then stab wound it next turn and wait patiently until they bleed to death.

2:  Double call of the conclave, growing ranks, and wayfaring temple is, as Conley Woods would say, "the noodly-boodlies" 

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
The average Selensya deck is better than the average Rakdos deck, and Selensya is a difficult matchup for Rakdos if both decks are of equal strength. For these reasons there are going to be Selensya decks that are impossible for Rakdos to beat.

I also strongly disagree with the sentiment that you should mulligan more when faced with strong opposition. Unless you have a curve that starts with Rakdos Cackler there isn't much room for you to start down a card.
I also strongly disagree with the sentiment that you should mulligan more when faced with strong opposition. Unless you have a curve that starts with Rakdos Cackler there isn't much room for you to start down a card.

Disagree as much as you like, if Rakdos does not get a hand with a strong open against Selesnya you have two options: mulligan or hope the opponent draws crappy. I don't know about you, but I'd choose the option that changes the situation.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Bobus, you of all people should know that there is no such thing as an unwinnable matchup.  If you draw perfectly and they hit a big enough pocket of lands, or no lands at all, the worst rakdos deck can crush the best selesnya deck.

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
Bobus, you of all people should know that there is no such thing as an unwinnable matchup.  If you draw perfectly and they hit a big enough pocket of lands, or no lands at all, the worst rakdos deck can crush the best selesnya deck.

Yes, I suppose because of variance there are no unwinnable matchups. Perhaps there needs to be a revised definition for unwinnable to reflect this. Something along the lines of <20% or <25%
Double call of the conclave, growing ranks, and wayfaring temple is, as Conley Woods would say, "the noodly-boodlies" 

^^

On another note, my only match loss my last draft was a 1-2 against Rakdos versus my Junk deck. He had double stab wounds, ultimate price, ellohole flailer, lobber crew and the guildmage, and explosive impact as a finisher. There are still plenty of reasons to run Rakdos, and this late in the set you should be able to splash easily into Golgari or Izzet as well.  

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

It is certainly the hardest matchip for Rakdos but anything can happen. I have won more tournaments playing Rakdos that any other guild. I played in a PTQ and went 5-2 with Rakdos.
It is certainly the hardest matchip for Rakdos but anything can happen. I have won more tournaments playing Rakdos that any other guild. I played in a PTQ and went 5-2 with Rakdos.

It's not necessarily the hardest match-up. Azorius also is a very tough match-up if Rakdos is on the draw.

bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Double call of the conclave, growing ranks, and wayfaring temple is, as Conley Woods would say, "the noodly-boodlies" 

There are still plenty of reasons to run Rakdos, and this late in the set you should be able to splash easily into Golgari or Izzet as well.  

Not sure I like splashing with Rakdos, unless you have a really good reason. When running Rakdos your goal should typically be 1 drop -> 2 drop -> 3 drop -> Opponent at 10 life max, storm through or burn for the win. Guildmage is incredibly effective because it makes your whole team virtually unblockable early on by anything lower than x/4. Most of my Rakdos games are won or lost by turn 3. They're not over, but you can see which way they're going pretty well. The last thing I want to see in my opening hand is a guildgate or an off-color spell. 

Unless you have an absolute bombs in the other colors, I don't see why you'd ever splash something in Rakdos. Not really the case in other guilds, where you often find yourself splashing to get some other good playables in there or an extra piece of removal.  

Either way I hate playing both with and against Rakdos, because regardless of who wins, you both get to wait at least 25 minutes for the next round to start. In draft I try my hardest to avoid Rakdos unless I open an absolute bomb. If you get cut off your deck because a pile of crap that just doesn't have enough steam and gets outclassed before it ever gets going. Other guilds can go 3-colors or throw in some mediocre cards and do fine mid-lategame. Rakdos doesn't have this option; if you go 3-colors a lot of the early Rakdos drops become very bad. 
I always I to wait when I am drafting I am the person that role stomps with agro 3 color, agro selesnia

Doesn't matter what colors I draft my deck always becomes control agro

Splashing something into red black is bad but going with red into a nother color  can be strong such as the
splatter thug
and the enchantment that gives +2/+2 and blue mana for flying

Also cards that have double cost such as a red or a black or a white or a blue really allow 3 color decks
Alerys has really captured my present feelings, I think. I'm sure I'll still play it though, just depends on the draft.
You should read lobster667's article on rakdos.  It illustrates how the guild can be something other than 1 drop 2 drop 3 drop gg. 

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
Sign In to post comments