guild variants

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Although guilds usually have a theme of sorts, you can often end up with different varieties of decks in the same colors.  For example, in Lobster's article, he differentiates between big rakdos (Use unleash guys that are just too big to block, topping off your curve with stuff like spawn to smash through) and small rakdos (use small aggressive guys to beat down, then use burn/removal to sneak in the last few points in the lategame).  I think azorius has two versions too; one being the version that plays 2 drop ground guys and uses bounce and detain to push through, and the other being the classic uw "skies" deck that plays 2 power fliers and stuff like hussar patrol and armory guard to hold off the ground assault until they can win.  This also holds true for selesnya, where you can either go heavy on the populate theme, or just play a bunch of 2 drops and pump spells to beat them down.

What are your thoughts?

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
Yeah

I've been playing a lot of Rakdos and there are variants
There's the pure aggression win on turn 4-6
But there's the somewhat slower, more controlling version where you may win with stab wound, lobber crew, and explosive impact

Hellhole flailer IMO is just about the best card for rakdos because it works great with either variant
Yeah

I've been playing a lot of Rakdos and there are variants
There's the pure aggression win on turn 4-6
But there's the somewhat slower, more controlling version where you may win with stab wound, lobber crew, and explosive impact

Hellhole flailer IMO is just about the best card for rakdos because it works great with either variant

Hellhole Flailer + Deviant Glee is sweet as well. Or, come to think of it, Hellhole flailer in Etheral Armor.dec would be fun.

I agree (obviously). I think the decks you mentioned are the most defined styles for their respective guilds and that most decks fall on a spectrum between them - closer to one extreme being generally smoother but also a lot more vulnerable to certain stuff (ie going all "defensive fliers Azorius" makes the Golgari reach creatures almost impossible to get past, going all "small Azorius" makes you very vulnerable to sub-optimal stuff like Seller of Songbirds, Electrickery and other potential x-for-1s against x/1s).
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I agree (obviously). I think the decks you mentioned are the most defined styles for their respective guilds and that most decks fall on a spectrum between them - closer to one extreme being generally smoother but also a lot more vulnerable to certain stuff (ie going all "defensive fliers Azorius" makes the Golgari reach creatures almost impossible to get past, going all "small Azorius" makes you very vulnerable to sub-optimal stuff like Seller of Songbirds, Electrickery and other potential x-for-1s against x/1s).

Yeah, althought you do get some dissyngery.  For example, if you're on the airborne beats plan, that keening apparition will maybe hit for 2 once, before trading if you're lucky, or becoming a chumper if you aren't.  If you're going crosstown courier -> arrester, you don't want your 4th turn play to be an armory guard.

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
I play Azorius "bounce-detain" but flying/ground makes no difference. I'll take fliying (if it's there) but it usually isn't that important. Any card with detain is worth playing.

Voidweilder and Soulsworn spirit are the most important cards you can draft outside of the obvious ones. Dramatic Rescue is huge, inaction injunction is really under-rated.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Hellhole Flailer + Deviant Glee is sweet as well. Or, come to think of it, Hellhole flailer in Etheral Armor.dec would be fun.

I built this once. It was terrible.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]

I built this once. It was terrible.

You can't tell that a deck is terrible if you only built it once.

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
"It" was referring to the deck that I built.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]