Enchantment shenanigans

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I control Opalescense, Conspiracy (saproling), Life and Limb, and Blood Moon.

What is the end result of this? Timestamp order is as listed, if it matters.
Rules Advisor
Conspiracy, Life and Limb, and Blood moon are each a green 1/1 land creature - saproling mountain with : add to your mana pool. Opalescence is its normal self.

--------------

In layer 4, Conspiracy is dependant on Opalescence, because without opalescense's effect, there are no creatures for conspiracy to apply to. Life and limb is dependant on conspiracy, because without conspiracy there are no saprolings to apply to. Blood moon is dependant on life and limb, because without life and limb there are no lands to apply to.

So, in layer 4, the effects get applied in dependancy order: Opalescense turns the other 3 enchantments into creatures, conspiracy turns them into saproling creatures, life and limb turns them into land creature - saproling forest, and blood moon turns them into land creature - saproling mountain. By turning them into mountains, they lose all their abilities and gain ": add to your mana pool"

In layer 5, life and limb turns the creatures green. Note that it doesn't matter that life and limb has no abilities: it's effect began to apply, so it continues to apply.

In layer 7b, opalescence and life and limb are attempting to set the power and toughness. These effects are not dependant on eachother, so they are applied in timestamp order. Opalescence applies first, setting some power and toughnesses, and then life and limb applies, making them 1/1.
All the type-changing effects apply in layer 4. Does the "lose other abilities" side effect of blood moon also apply in layer 4? If so, would blood moon nullify the "become green" part of life and limb? In either case, does blood moon negate the "become 1/1" part of life and limb?
Rules Advisor
Does the "lose other abilities" side effect of blood moon also apply in layer 4?

Yes, because it's part of the type changing effect.
If so, would blood moon nullify the "become green" part of life and limb?

No, because of this rule:
613.5. If an effect should be applied in different layers and/or sublayers, the parts of the effect each apply in their appropriate ones. If an effect starts to apply in one layer and/or sublayer, it will continue to be applied to the same set of objects in each other applicable layer and/or sublayer, even if the ability generating the effect is removed during this process.

In either case, does blood moon negate the "become 1/1" part of life and limb?

It does not. life and limb began to apply, so it continues to apply.
If there was a nonbasic Forest around, Life and Limb would also be dependent on Blood Moon, right? In that case they'd form a dependency loop, so the dependency is ignored and their effects are applied in time stamp order. So if Life and Limb had the later time stamp, your enchantments (except for Opalescence, which is its usual self throughout this, as outlined above) would end up being 1/1 green Land Creatures with " Add to your mana pool." and would also have all their other abilities.

I'm conducting a Draft experiment in the Limited forums. If you're interested in Draft, come and check it out. We've just openend the third boosters! Your input is always welcome.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/limited-sealed-and-draft/threads/4206961

(It will go on for several more weeks, probably until end of July)

Once again aced the Rules Advisor test (Feb 2015). (I still make mistakes now and then, but who doesn't.)

"Simple questions" usually need rather complex answers, while complex questions often come down to no more than a simple "yes" or "no".

If there was a nonbasic Forest around, Life and Limb would also be dependent on Blood Moon, right?

Yes.
In that case they'd form a dependency loop, so the dependency is ignored and their effects are applied in time stamp order. So if Life and Limb had the later time stamp, your enchantments (except for Opalescence, which is its usual self throughout this, as outlined above) would end up being 1/1 green Land Creatures with " Add to your mana pool." and would also have all their other abilities.

Looks right to me.
So if I had, in timestamp order, Blood Moon, Life and Limb, and Chameleon Colossus, the colossus would suddenly change characteristics if I played a Murmuring Bosk?
Rules Advisor
So if I had, in timestamp order, Blood Moon, Life and Limb, and Chameleon Colossus, the colossus would suddenly change characteristics if I played a Murmuring Bosk?

Yes.

Wierd, huh? That's what you get for dreaming up situations like this Tongue Out
Haha, I suppose so. Thanks.
Rules Advisor
Sign In to post comments