Stormtrooper armor - Protection divided by types and Merry Christmas to everyone! :D

As I said, Merry Christmas! (or the equivalent version on your traditions)

Well, I asked a few friends this question.

I would like to know, please, if you would have to divide damage protection from ST Armor, wich bonuses (treat as some kind of DR) will you give? For example:

If we consider that Weapon "Rifle X" do 10 damage of each type...

Piercing         Slashing        Blunt        Energy       Other
Stormtrooper Armor              6                    6                 3               4               3  (Only as sample)

Thank you!
Have you ever tried to smile?
57690938 wrote:
If I had to choose one word to describe you, it would be "unorthodox". Yea - that's pretty much it. Not an insult, of course. :D
Star Wars HEAVY MOD (M&M) Adaptation http://www.mediafire.com/?b2e9e176n9ck9ia
Merry Christmas StevenO!

I was asking because I have a discusion the last day with my friends about ST Armor and if it would have more protection from a particular type of damage than another one.

Forgeting about SAGA rules and considering than E-11, for example does 10 damage (imagine that are various versions of E-11 that can shoot with diferent type of ammo (diferent damage).

What absortion (DR or similar) would you use to define de ST armor?
57690938 wrote:
If I had to choose one word to describe you, it would be "unorthodox". Yea - that's pretty much it. Not an insult, of course. :D
I can't answer that without a lot more information.  I mean everything does some kind of "energy" damage because all physical blows are is a transfer of kinetic energy by some medium.  If you actually think about it the only difference between piercing, slashing, and bludgeoning damage is the "area" of the initial strike.  Piercing is a point attack makes it very focuses but that focus man leave areas further away unharmed while bludgeoning strikes a greater area and may have less penetration but most likely is better at energy transfer.  Slashing is a line contact and falls between the other two.
Assuming that 6 is considered good for armor of Stormtrooper quality, using your categories...

Energy: 6
Slashing: 4
Piercing: 2
Bludgeon: 3

Justifications: Stormtrooper armor seems fairly ineffective again the Ewok weapons and other melee tactics, which leads me to believe that it should have a lower rating against damage that either pierces or causes a large impact.  However, a slashing weapon like a blade would be far more likely to deflect off the curved metal than to actually cause a wound.  Given the above, it seem reasonable (and EU does back this) to believe that stormtrooper armor is designed mostly to protect against energy weapons, which should be what stormtroopers typically have to combat.      
"And the TL;DR award goes to Raul Torin!" - CorranHornIsAwesome Official SAGA Edition Errata Dawn of Defiance Other Articles Thanks to GreySword for compiling these
Greetings Raul and Merry Christmas to you!

Maybe my fault StevenO. When I as refering to "energy" I mean the typical "laser bolt" that in some RPG games consider energy itself.

These days I have been watching with a pair of friends a TV Show called "The Deadliest Warrior" (not sure about name).
In the show they use to make some "distinctions" about damage types, impacts and armors.

For example, Chain Mail its almost invulnerable to Slashing damage, offer no protection (or probably near 0) to Piercing and the same to Bludgeon. No nergy because we don't have blaster yet XD

Intead of that, a French Steel Plate (C. XVII) offers tons of protection againts non heavy piercing weapon, bluegeoning and slashing. A smal powder gun has almost non effect on Plate (but yes the More heavy arcabus).

Also they made some samples with "frag grenades". They say that some of that armor protect from the "fragmentation" (piercing damage) but the bludgeon damage (secondary) and the "other" (sonic maybe) would probably kill the person in those armors.

Returning to ST Armors. Without remembering (or no so much at least)... the mighty ewoks! XD OMG Lucas!
I have to say that I readed a few explanations that "almost" convinced me... I have a really open mind yes XD

Ewoks didn'ts broke the armors, but repeteadly contusion provoked ST inconscience.

Also I readed from Wookipedia that ST armors starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Stormtrooper_arm...
that:

- It also protected the troopers from very harsh environments as well as projectiles and kinetic energy weapons.

- The armor significantly reduced damage to the wearer from a blaster bolt, but it could be completely penetrated by a more powerful cannon blast.

- The body glove allowed for operation in warm or cold climates, however it could protect the trooper from almost any environment -- from total vacuum conditions to the very extremes in cold and heat for a very limited period of time.

(TK329 reference - "Our body armor isn’t able to withstand direct blaster shots, but it is designed to survive the most extreme conditions.")

- The armor, and the body glove worn beneath, were designed to disperse the energy of a blaster bolt and insulate the wearer, lessening injury. Although standard armor lacked the durability to make the wearer immune to cannon fire, it could partially deflect or disperse energy from low, medium, and high-energy blaster bolts; though the wearer may be incapacitated, survival would allow the trooper to receive advanced medical treatment that may return him to service.

- It also deflected stun beams, and served as excellent protection against explosions and shrapnel, thereby drastically reducing the effective casualty radius of fragmentation weapons used against troops wearing such armor.

- It was almost impossible to kill a stormtrooper with a slugthrower unless the bullet was abnormally large, specifically armor piercing, or if it hit the body glove or visor lenses.

- Although this armor provided less protection from blaster weapons than wartime Phase I and Phase II armor, it offered superior protection from the elements.

END

Also it speaks about chemical protection due to the air seal and that some ST wear personal shield generator that protect from energy but not from, for example, vibroblades.

(Sorry for the long text XD)

So the summary seems to be that:

- Almost invulnerable to Piercing (slugthrowers and some frag damage).
- Slashing (Probably the same as Piercing)
- Resistance to Bludgeon (not extremely high but it was some).
- Good Energy protection (at least that says wookie but not rebels from Tantive IV or Han and Leia XD)

Suggestions?
57690938 wrote:
The Wookiee does say that stormtrooper armor is nearly immune to slugthrowers, but I find that very hard to believe.  And worse, it says that in a single sentance, without a source.  In fact, the only sources for that page are not actual Star Wars cannon, but are almost all commentary-type books.  The type that say, "here is what we see in other sources and how we explain it."  This problem is compounded when you read the slugthrowers page, which indicated that a number of beings and cultures have used slugthrowers to great effect.  I can hardly understand, for instance, Rebel special forces units carrying a weapon against which their most common enemy will be nearly immune.

And then there is actual cannon, the movies, which never show stormtrooper armor as being effect against, well, anything.  It cracks when one trooper rolls.  Ewok arrows puncture it.  Hitting or dropping them seems to take them out of a fight fairly effectively.  Admittantly, the movies are not going to waste time with stormtroopers taking a bunch of hits to take them down, but the opposite extreme - that stormtrooper armor is highly effective - is without basis and thus even more flawed a notion.

It makes sense to give stormtrooper armor good protection against energy weapons.  That is what it would be designed to counter-act and it is not unbelievable to say that the majority of the troopers we see "die" were actually just wounded and that the armor did its job (saving the troopers life) well.  However, it does not seem reasonable to claim that stormtrooper armor is very effect against more primitive weapons given that they do loose to Ewoks.  And there are other example of primitive cultures defeating stormtroopers with primitive weapons.  Dresselians (forgive the spelling if I erred) used slugthrowers against stormtroopers throughout the war, to give another example.

And, from a game-design perspective, it does not make sense to make one set of armor the best by so far.  Give it weaknesses so that other types of armor can be used as well.  Otherwise, everyone will just use stormtrooper armor or a variant. 
"And the TL;DR award goes to Raul Torin!" - CorranHornIsAwesome Official SAGA Edition Errata Dawn of Defiance Other Articles Thanks to GreySword for compiling these
Assuming that 6 is considered good for armor of Stormtrooper quality, using your categories...

Energy: 6
Slashing: 4
Piercing: 2
Bludgeon: 3

Justifications: Stormtrooper armor seems fairly ineffective again the Ewok weapons and other melee tactics, which leads me to believe that it should have a lower rating against damage that either pierces or causes a large impact.  However, a slashing weapon like a blade would be far more likely to deflect off the curved metal than to actually cause a wound.  Given the above, it seem reasonable (and EU does back this) to believe that stormtrooper armor is designed mostly to protect against energy weapons, which should be what stormtroopers typically have to combat.      

Welcome back, Raul!

JOIN US AT THE NEW STAR WARS SAGA EDITION COMMUNITY: THE SAGA CONTINUES!

Compiled files of all Star Wars Saga Edition resource documents & reference tools - NPCs, character sheets, Dawn of Defiance, Force and lightsaber form power cards, Jedi Counseling articles, NPC statblocks, Saga Index to all feats, talents, species, weapons, etc, Star Wars articles and web enhancements

Sign In to post comments