Defiant Runepriest critique

24 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hi guys! I would just love some critique on this build, I have tried to make it without any dragon magazine feats, as our DM tries to only use published material, the only dragon magazine I can recall using is the encounter power "Protective scrolls". 
So if possible guys, if any suggestions are made can we make it that no dragon magaizine are included.  
I effectivly wanted to go a defender/tank healer route, but with enough punch to make it a threat. Being able to mark at level 16 is a great advantage, as well as its decent defences and healing powers. This build was originally created for I was getting bored of my current character of a swordmage, who although had exemplar defenses and a brilliant aegis of shielding, felt almost... boring to play during battles. Also in making this build I decided (for the moment) to not use the runic feats, but if someone shows me a decent build involing these feats I may be inclind to try it out. I also gave it Blade of the Eldritch Knight Bastard sword, due to it giving reach 5 for melee.

Any suggetsions on my runepriest would be greatly appriciated!

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Rose, level 16
Longtooth Shifter, Runepriest, Tactical Warpriest
Build: Defiant Runepriest
Runic Artistry Option: Serene Blade
Inherent Bonuses
Winterguard Marshal (Perception class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 24, CON 11, DEX 12, INT 11, WIS 20, CHA 9

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 10, DEX 11, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 8

AC: 33 Fort: 33 Ref: 26 Will: 30
HP: 98 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 24

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +20, Heal +18, Insight +18, Perception +18, Religion +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +7, Arcana +8, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +7, Dungeoneering +13, Endurance +8, History +8, Intimidate +7, Nature +13, Stealth +7, Streetwise +7, Thievery +7

POWERS
Wizard Utility: Mage Hand
Wizard Utility: Prestidigitation
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Longtooth Shifter Racial Power: Longtooth Shifting
Runepriest Feature: Rune of Mending
Runepriest Attack 1: Word of Exchange
Runepriest Attack 1: Word of Binding
Runepriest Attack 1: Rune of the Undeniable Dawn
Runepriest Utility 2: Shield of Sacrifice
Runepriest Utility 2: Rune of the Final Effort
Runepriest Attack 3: Words of Bravery
Runepriest Attack 5: Cage of Light
Runepriest Attack 7: Symbol of Cowardice
Runepriest Utility 10: Protective Scroll
Tactical Warpriest Attack 11: Battle Cry
Tactical Warpriest Utility 12: Battle Favor
Runepriest Attack 13: Iron Redoubt
Runepriest Attack 15: Rune of the First Fortress
Runepriest Utility 16: Rune of Reinvigoration

FEATS
Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise
Level 2: Weapon Proficiency (Bastard sword)
Level 4: Shield Proficiency: Heavy
Level 6: Improved Defenses
Level 8: Resilient Focus
Level 10: Divine Healer
Level 11: Shield Mastery
Level 12: Uncanny Dodge
Level 14: Durable
Level 16: Battlewise

ITEMS
Boots of the Fencing Master x1
Iron Armbands of Power (paragon tier) x1
Adventurer's Kit
Belt of Vim (heroic tier) x1
Hedge Wizard's Gloves x1
Reinforcing Mekillot Scale Armor +3 x1
Blade of the Eldritch Knight Bastard sword +3 x1
Vanguard's Shield Heavy Shield x1
Deep-Pocket Cloak +2 x1
Beacon of Erathis +1 x1
Eager Hero's Tattoo (heroic tier) x1
Keoghtom's Ointment
Journeybreads
Devotee's kit
Iron spikes
Mystic Salves (Heal)
====== End ======

I'd recommend upping your con a bit, or taking one of the HP switching backgrounds (Auspicious/Bad Sign) to have a bit more hp. Swap Heavy Blade Expertise for Devout Protector's, the latter is far better. You can't use both magic armbands and a magic shield, so lose the shield.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
Well, don't LOSE the shield, just use a non-magical one.
Swap Heavy Blade Expertise for Devout Protector's, the latter is far better.

As much as I would love to, as previously mentioned I cannot use dragon magazine. Otherwise your suggestion woul be taken on board immediatly.
As for upping con, good point, I will lower Dex to 10 at creation, so at least by paragon Con is at 12. And I was thinking about one of those two backgrounds, however at the time I wanted the much useful skill of perception. I however have realised my Head slot is unused so I will ditch perception training but get a helm which ups perception.

And thank you, I will loose the magical shield, and go for a non-magical one, I was unaware conflict between armbands and shields. 

Rose , level 16
Inherent Bonuses
Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 24, CON 12, DEX 11, INT 11, WIS 20, CHA 9

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 11, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 8

AC: 33 Fort: 33 Ref: 25 Will: 30
HP: 111 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 27

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +20, Endurance +14, Heal +18, Insight +18, Religion +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +6, Arcana +8, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +7, Dungeoneering +13, History +8, Intimidate +7, Nature +13, Perception +16, Stealth +6, Streetwise +7, Thievery +6

POWERS
Runepriest Attack 3: Words of Bravery

FEATS
Level 2: Weapon Proficiency (Bastard sword)
Level 6: Improved Defenses
Level 8: Resilient Focus
Level 14: Durable

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Hedge Wizard's Gloves x1
Blade of the Eldritch Knight Bastard sword +3 x1
Deep-Pocket Cloak +2 x1
Beacon of Erathis +1 x1
Heavy Shield x1
Eyes of the Eagle (paragon tier) x1
Keoghtom's Ointment
Journeybreads
Devotee's kit
Iron spikes
Mystic Salves (Heal)
====== End ======

It would be worth having a chat with your DM getting him to allow Dragon material.  Unlike previous editions there are various ways to get it all organized together in an easy to read manner, not the least of which being the mostly correct official Compendium that you already have access to as a subscriber.  That goes a long way in avoiding a lot off the bull**** from before that caused most DMs to be so leery of anything outside core rulebooks.

Not to mention, Dragon material isn't really any more absurd or out of balance than the core rulebook stuff, ESPECIALLY if you're not even using the errata.  I'm pretty darn sure quite a few peoples here could put together horrendeously broken stuff without even trying hard just using a few books. 
I know it seems silly to answer this inquiry:

"Please help me build this with X limitations"

With this response:

"Don't use X limitations.  They are dumb."

But it is going to happen on these boards a lot.  So either ignore people who say this or have a chat with your DM (or both).

That being said I can't help much as I don't like runepriests in general and being limited to a small section of books will only frustrate me if I go to look up advice for you
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Blinding Shield is a really good E3 and the only off-turn power you'll ever get.

Durable is a waste of a feat.

MC Fighter via Battle Awareness, use that to get Perception, take the HP background. Also opens up Wary Fighter instead of Battlewise.

Stick to a Longsword, +1 per [W] isn't worth a feat.

Resilient Focus isn't that great. Superior Will is though.

Since I said you should MC Fighter, you're obviously going to need to reconsider your PP. Are you trying to be a leader/defender with a Divine bent? Because Runepriest probably isn't the strongest choice if that is what you want.

Not to mention, Dragon material isn't really any more absurd or out of balance than the core rulebook stuff, ESPECIALLY if you're not even using the errata.  I'm pretty darn sure quite a few peoples here could put together horrendeously broken stuff without even trying hard just using a few books. 

I totally agree with you, unfortunatly he is pretty adamant against dragon. And about the horrendeously broken stuff... he has already banned several of my builds because they are over powered even if they dont even touch dragon magazine *cough*hexblade pixie build *cough*
so i think he is going to stick to his restrictions haha
I know it seems silly to answer this inquiry:

"Please help me build this with X limitations"

With this response:

"Don't use X limitations.  They are dumb."

But it is going to happen on these boards a lot.  So either ignore people who say this or have a chat with your DM (or both).

That being said I can't help much as I don't like runepriests in general and being limited to a small section of books will only frustrate me if I go to look up advice for you

Thank you anyway, I like runepriests because of there flexibility. After playing a swordmage which basically only does one thing in battles a rune priest would be a nice change of pace.

Blinding Shield is a really good E3 and the only off-turn power you'll ever get.

MC Fighter via Battle Awareness, use that to get Perception, take the HP background. Also opens up Wary Fighter instead of Battlewise.

Stick to a Longsword, +1 per [W] isn't worth a feat.

Resilient Focus isn't that great. Superior Will is though.

Since I said you should MC Fighter, you're obviously going to need to reconsider your PP. Are you trying to be a leader/defender with a Divine bent? Because Runepriest probably isn't the strongest choice if that is what you want.

Ehhhh, doesn't need to be a divine bent, not that the divine bent is not a good thing (we are in the tomb of horros campaigh, aka undead everywhere , and no other divine class), I like the look of the runepriest because of it's flexibility. If you give me another class combination which are decent healers and tanks who can actually smack people around (no hybrids sorry, he has also banned those too) I will gladly play around with it. But at the present, runepriests are the one I am swooning over.
And although you mention MC Fighter, and it seems like a good match, I wouldnt be able to take wary fighter anyway due to it being dragon magazine. And now that I upped my perception with lovely headgear the need to have it trained it lowered. Hence I took the HP background.

The main reason I took durable was to enhance the power Protective scrolls, which seems ruddy useful. Basically handing out my healing surges to peeps. Though I will now reconsider this choice. As for not taking bastard sword, and sticking with longsword. Fair point, I just now have to choose a lovely enough feat to woo me enough to drop the bastard sword.

I will swap over the E3 power for Blinding shield! I didnt notice my power was a dragon one anyway :| he didnt approve that one.

EDIT: Here is the edited build. I left Durable for the moment, because I went back to my original Con and Dex, so I have a further bonus to reflex. Switched to longsword, and ditched improved defenses and went for the superior fort and will (and lightening reflexes).

Rose, level 16
Inherent Bonuses
Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 24, CON 11, DEX 12, INT 11, WIS 20, CHA 9

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 10, DEX 11, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 8

AC: 33 Fort: 34 Ref: 27 Will: 31
HP: 111 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 27

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +20, Endurance +13, Heal +18, Insight +18, Religion +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +7, Arcana +8, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +7, Dungeoneering +13, History +8, Intimidate +7, Nature +13, Perception +16, Stealth +7, Streetwise +7, Thievery +7

POWERS
Runepriest Attack 3: Word of the Blinding Shield

FEATS
Level 2: Durable
Level 6: Lightning Reflexes
Level 8: Superior Will
Level 14: Superior Fortitude

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Hedge Wizard's Gloves x1
Deep-Pocket Cloak +2 x1
Beacon of Erathis +1 x1
Eyes of the Eagle (paragon tier) x1
Blade of the Eldritch Knight Longsword +3 x1
Keoghtom's Ointment
Journeybreads
Devotee's kit
Iron spikes
Mystic Salves (Heal)
Heavy Shield x1
====== End ======

If your DM has banned a hex blade (any build at all), this is the wrong place to come for build advice.
As mentioned above, if a Hexblade Pixie is giving your DM fits, he probably should not be DMing.

Find a new DM.  Find a new game.  But 4e is meant to use all the resources available.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
I can't say I'm surprised.  One of my FLGSs bans Invokers and Avengers for being terrible and Wardens and Avengers for being overpowered.
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
I can't say I'm surprised.  One of my FLGSs bans Invokers and Avengers for being terrible and Wardens and Avengers for being overpowered.

Face Palm. Then they ain't so friendly.
How do they ban a class for being awful and great? TIME SPACE PARADOX AHHHHHHHHHH
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
I said it wrong.  They banned Invokers for being both terrible and overpowered and Avengers for just being overpowered.

Doesn't really make it make anymore sense. 
Show
Hey guys thanks for all the imput.
Unfortunatly the build has been given a no no, turns out serene blade is a dragon magazine class path.

So now excuse me while I flip over a few tables in protest.

HOWEVER, if any of you would be kind enough to give me a class suggestion for decent tank/healer, for example Cleric+paragon (And which diety to follow) I can play around with character builder and remake a build.
Cheers, and I hope everyone had a happy holiday season!

If the DM is going to make you flip tables, don't play.

Also, the idea of having a "tank" confuses me.  Do you mean something with good defenses?

Not sure how much of this will be limited by lack of useful sources to draw from but Warlord|Cleric is what a friend of mine is playing and it does quite well.  High defenses, good enabling powers and plenty of healing.  Take Tactical Warpriest for a mark and a small boon to AC and you should be good to go. 
Show
Hey guys thanks for all the imput.
Unfortunatly the build has been given a no no, turns out serene blade is a dragon magazine class path.

So now excuse me while I flip over a few tables in protest.

HOWEVER, if any of you would be kind enough to give me a class suggestion for decent tank/healer, for example Cleric+paragon (And which diety to follow) I can play around with character builder and remake a build.
Cheers, and I hope everyone had a happy holiday season!

Paladin.  Out of the box you get defenses, marking, and healing.  No enabling, buffing, or debuffing to speak of though.  You can always MC Warlord or Cleric to pick up extra healing and other leadery fun.

Edit: Also, they got fixed with Divine Power, though I'm not sure how your DM will treat non-PHB non-Dragon material.
A leader who does not enable is not a leader.
Show
A leader who does not enable is not a leader.

QFT
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Paladin|Warlord (google Sainted Justice for the original version, though improvements are quite possible). Find a better DM.
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Try giving these two builds a look see. You could then post up your variant and see if it needs any up-dates.

How are gaining perception from battle awareness when it isn't a fighter class skill?
At first I skipped over your post because your reply was in the quote box, and not outside (so it looked like a mistake post to me).

But what you can do is this - if a multiclass feat allows you to train in a skill that you've arleady trained in, you can untrain in that specific skill, then take another skill from your class, keeping both skills trained.

Simple as that. 

AKA: William Imm on RPG Crossing and most other sites. All much better designed than the WotC forums.

Gathering intrest on a unofficial contuniation of 4e - PM me if intrested.

Perception is not a runepriest skill either, he is using his background to get it. Alceltis recemended he get perception from battle awareness instead, and take another background, which you can't do
Sign In to post comments