Nimble Vampire, Ultimate Guard and Recursion of Life

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nimble Vampire seems really strong, but I'd say it's about on par with Vampire Nighthawk, sure the first strike is nice, but dying to Shock isn't. I am considering making it an common to be honest. Ultimate Guard is a patient control player's dream. Recursion of Life is a lifegain card that doesn't suck. 3 Solid cards, all can't be used competitively, but I would say they are all good.

Nimble Vampire 1br (Edit: CMC change from Hybrid, considering doing BBR also)
Creature- Vampire [R]
Haste
First Strike
Lifelink
3/2

Ultimate Guard 9
Artifact Creature- Wall [MR]
Defender
Flying, Indestructible 
Ultimate Guard can block any number of creatures.
0/10

Recursion of Life 3www
Sorcery [MR]
You gain two life for each card in all graveyards. Then all players shuffle their graveyards into their libraries.
I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)
You're wrong, your first card is much better than Vampire Nighthawk, but you'll have to change the card anyway because red creatures never have lifelink.. Your second card is just boring and simply forces other players to concede when you reanimate the creature on your fourth turn.. Your third card is just a stronger version of Archangel's Light, nothing to say here!
Way much better than VN.

Edit: Cats are ninjas.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
It's certainly not strictly better than Vampire Nighthawk, that's simply not true. But you're right that it shouldn't be hybrid, in hindsight it should probably be 1BR. But it's not strictly better than Nighthawk. Flying, Deathtouch and greater toughness are nothing to snuff at. Even in Standard Nimble Vampire would get removed fairly easily, via Shock. Also dies to double ping. I really want to here why it's way better than Nighthawk.

Saying Ultimate Guard will force scoops is really silly. I guess Vapor Snag, Unsummon, Pacifism, Oblivion Ring, and dozens of other cards can't deal with it. Not to mention the fact that you COULD attack with more than 10. If you are automatically scooping when this hits the field, your deck is probably garbage. A wall that costs 9 shouldn't suck. Cats_and_me, tell me how you'd make a mythic rare defender that costs NINE not suck without being "overpowered", I really want to know.
I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)
Nobody claimed that it's strictly better than Vampire Nighthawk! But you'll have to learn to design cards that aren't ridiculous in less competitive formats where not every deck can handle everything and where not every player always happens to have the perfect solution in his or her hand.. How are black + red + green decks supposed to deal with it, anyway? As for your defender, simply use the famous ability that prevents reanimation that most other super-large and game-ending creatures like Worldspine Wurm use..
It's certainly not strictly better than Vampire Nighthawk, that's simply not true. But you're right that it shouldn't be hybrid, in hindsight it should probably be 1BR. But it's not strictly better than Nighthawk. Flying, Deathtouch and greater toughness are nothing to snuff at. Even in Standard Nimble Vampire would get removed fairly easily, via Shock. Also dies to double ping. I really want to here why it's way better than Nighthawk.

Ok let me break it down, piece by piece: First strike vs. Flying - about even. Both make it hard for the opponent to block. First strike is a little better on defence, flying is a little better on offence, but they're very similar. Both have lifelink, so no difference there. Haste vs. Deathtouch: Haste is stronger in constructed, because this is only going to see play in aggro decks in constructed, which means that hitting once before getting killed is a big deal. That extra hit that haste gives is very useful, deathtouch only comes up rarely. 3/2 vs. 2/3: 3/2 is better in 90% of games, all the games where the opponent doesn't have a Pillar of Flame (shock is not in standard). You're treating 2 toughness as if it's a horrible drawback, but if you look at the removal played in standard, such as Oblivion Ring, Ultimate Price, Supreme Verdict and Searing Spear, you'll find that the distinction rarely comes up. With the creature having first strike, it comes up even less. In conclusion, haste is really powerful, 3 power is too, and 2 toughness matters a lot less than you think. 
Won a TPmanW contest with Demonic Arbitrator. (see below) My username is a simple continued fraction. Look it up. My favorite cards I've made:
Show
Æther Rider Creatuere - Spirit (U) Vanishing 0 (This permanent enters the battlefield with zero time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.) Flying : Put a time counter on ~. Any player may activate this ability. It comes on the wind, from realms unknown. 2/2 Kaldurian Behemoth Creature - Beast (R) Mana produced by lands may not be used to pay ~'s mana cost. Trample On Kalduria, the beasts are too good to eat common grass. 10/10 Demonic Arbitrator Sorcery Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of life. If any player paid life, repeat this process. If a player paid more life in total than any other, that player searches his or her library for a card and puts that card into his or her hand. Then that player shuffles his or her library. "Your sacrifice has been judged worthy. What power do you require?"
As for your defender, simply use the famous ability that prevents reanimation that most other super-large and game-ending creatures like Worldspine Wurm use..

cats, his card is a lot less game ending of a fatty than you seem to think it is. Compare to Avacyn, Angel of Hope. Sure, it can't block all of their creatures, but it does kill them before they got a chance to find removal, like O-ring, or another way past it, like Thundermaw Hellkite. The wall is well made, ballanced, and looks fun to play (against). I like it.
Won a TPmanW contest with Demonic Arbitrator. (see below) My username is a simple continued fraction. Look it up. My favorite cards I've made:
Show
Æther Rider Creatuere - Spirit (U) Vanishing 0 (This permanent enters the battlefield with zero time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.) Flying : Put a time counter on ~. Any player may activate this ability. It comes on the wind, from realms unknown. 2/2 Kaldurian Behemoth Creature - Beast (R) Mana produced by lands may not be used to pay ~'s mana cost. Trample On Kalduria, the beasts are too good to eat common grass. 10/10 Demonic Arbitrator Sorcery Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of life. If any player paid life, repeat this process. If a player paid more life in total than any other, that player searches his or her library for a card and puts that card into his or her hand. Then that player shuffles his or her library. "Your sacrifice has been judged worthy. What power do you require?"
Nobody claimed that it's strictly better than Vampire Nighthawk! But you'll have to learn to design cards that aren't ridiculous in less competitive formats where not every deck can handle everything and where not every player always happens to have the perfect solution in his or her hand.. How are black + red + green decks supposed to deal with it, anyway? As for your defender, simply use the famous ability that prevents reanimation that most other super-large and game-ending creatures like Worldspine Wurm use..

I guess no one is saying the card is strictly better, but saying that it's much better or way better I feel is a very strong statement to make, especially without an explination. 

Who the hell is going to reanimate a wall? Honestly, with all the stuff that wins you the game, you really think people are going to start reanimating a defender that has no ETB effects and gets totally washed out by dozens of cards. Would you reanimate a wall over stuff people are actually reanimating now? If I played against someone who really wasted their timing reanimating a wall I really would start laughing.

I'm not a competitive player by the way. Nimble Vampire dies to Go For The Throat just like pretty much everything else, it's not a broken card, it's not overpowered, it wouldn't walk all over everything in casual.

When you say how are Black, Red, and Green supposed to deal with it, I assume you are asking about the defender. If you are, black has edicts along with exile effects like Unmake, red has plenty of cards that could just gain control of the wall, red also can just burn the player and ignore the wall. Green can overrun the wall and trample through it. Just think about the cardpool dude, it's really not a very difficult card to deal with. Tell me how to make a wall that's a 9 drop that isn't broken, I want to know. 

If you meant how are those colors supposed to deal with the Vampire, they all could just use removal spells. 

I don't understand cats_and_me, do you play pauper or something, or limited? Because these cards aren't overpowered or "ridiculous" 
Sorry, but why are we supposed to comment here? You're always posting cards that are very close to existing cards, the power levels of your cards are the only thing that deserves a discussion.. You always receive comments from different people that explain why they're much stronger than most similar existing cards, but you just won't realize that and just continue to complain about people that claim that..
Sorry, but why are we supposed to comment here? You're always posting cards that are very close to existing cards, the power levels of your cards are the only thing that deserves a discussion.. You always receive comments from different people that explain why they're much stronger than most similar existing cards, but you just won't realize that and just continue to complain about people that claim that..

How are Nimble Vampire or Ultimate Guard remotely close to anything that already exists? People comment here to provide feedback, postitive and constructive, and I enjoy reading the feedback here which is why I post so frequently, I even like a lot of your feedback (for instance I appericate that you pointed out that Nimble Vampire should not be hybrid). I just think you make claims that are pretty wild without backing them up. I think you probably realize afterwards that some of those claims were bad, and for some reason you continue to double down on them, or drop them.

You haven't told me why Nimple Vampire is way better than Vampire Nighthawk. You haven't told me why anyone would reanimate a wall with no ETB effects (that one is really a head scratcher). Instead, you just say cards I make are overpowered or broken because they are better than bad cards that no one would ever play outside of limited. I don't want to really spend  too much time discussing cards that aren't Nimple Vampire, Ultimate Guard, or Recursion of Life in this thread, but just because a card is better than Excommunicate or Corercion (two very bad cards that are unplayable in most formats) does not mean those cards are overpowered. 
Honor, what do you think of my explanation of why Nimble Vampire is so good? I'll through in a couple more cards to compare it to: Boggart Ram-Gang and Dreg Mangler. Both of these creatures are at the upper limit of what you can put on a 3 power creature with haste, and your card is much better than either of them. Therefore, it is overpowered. Is that more along the lines of what you'd like to hear about your cards?
Show
Well, people don't reanimate Blazing Archon because it's a 5/6 creature, and it's a lot more fragile than indestructible 0/10 creatures.. Sorry, but every discussion in the last 4-8 of your threads was pretty tedious and rather useless, especially because you always criticize decks because they're not playing the most perfect removal spells for every situation.. Convincing you of something requires 2-3 people that explain something thoroughly and 2-3 other people that agree with these people..
Honor, what do you think of my explanation of why Nimble Vampire is so good? I'll through in a couple more cards to compare it to: Boggart Ram-Gang and Dreg Mangler. Both of these creatures are at the upper limit of what you can put on a 3 power creature with haste, and your card is much better than either of them. Therefore, it is overpowered. Is that more along the lines of what you'd like to hear about your cards?

I meant to reply to your initial analysis of the comparision between Nimple Vampire and Vampire Nighthawk. I thought you did a very solid break down. Basically what I gathered from it is Nimble Vampire is a little bit better than Vampire Nighthawk, but not substantially better. That's ok though, because Nimple Vampire is a rare that is more difficult to cast. I also personally think you are under estimating how powerful deathtouch is. I think Nimple Vampire is certainly a better aggro card, but the Nighthawk is more verstile. 

I would say it is better than Boggart Ram Gang, but still not much better and coming it to Dreg Mangler is difficult to do.
Well, that's fine. I think it's nowhere near as strong as Geist of Saint Traft, for instance, so it probably wouldn't break standard. On another tack, it could really use some flavor. Just an idea.
Show
Sign In to post comments