why can't I give my Monk proficiency with the Katana?

Am I missing something? There are no way for characters to gain proficiencies with weapons other than those given to them by their class. This is a major customization set back. If it's possible, I would like to know how.

Thanks
incorrect. you can gain polearm proficiency through a feat.
i think this is showing a template that the feats will grant categories of weapons instead of specific ones
incorrect. you can gain polearm proficiency through a feat.
i think this is showing a template that the feats will grant categories of weapons instead of specific ones

Yeah, Polearm Training says to me that they are playing with this particular idea.  Right now it looks like they are thinking of going in the direction of the 4e Heroes feats where you not only got (a better version of) Weapon Expertise (in D&D Next this could just be proficiency), but also got an additional benefit (e.g. Polearm Training grants advantage for OAs and treats them as a double weapon where the other end is 1d6 bludgeoning).

Still, I wouldn't worry too much about not having the ability to grant yourself proficiency in a specific weapon (like Katanas) right now.  This is still the playtest, and they are doinking around with some of the baseline mechanics to see what is working and what isn't.  My guess is is the Polearm Training is well received then they will likely expand on it for different weapons.  If they don't, you might just be able to sit down with your DM and come up with a solution.
We're clearly not seeing all the feats that the game will eventually have. There isn't a way for you to gain katana proficiency yet (or multiclass, or create magic items). But if you desperately want to play Samurai Jack, it's not going to break the game for your DM to just grant you free proficiency with that weapon. The way the rules are set up in the current packet, there's very little damage to a campaign that would be caused by such hand-wavery.
Samurai Jack was a high level Lawful Good Fighter.   Deal with it.

People forget that the robe was mithral.
Why do you think it was so white?

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

Nah, he just used a variant system that turn AC into a dodge/parry bonus, and armour as DR.  Seriously, he didn't have a party, obviously his GM was using a modified rules set.

Nah, he just used a variant system that turn AC into a dodge/parry bonus, and armour as DR.  Seriously, he didn't have a party, obviously his GM was using a modified rules set.

No, that was the Scotsman.

Jack had 20 DEX and a Mithral Shirt.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

If you're a player, then just work with your DM to be able to use a katana. Toss up some ideas, bounce them back and forth and when you both have a workable idea post it in the forums for the rest of us... this is a playtest, if something doesn't suit your needs, then change it and post your results... the "rules" are just guidelines to play a game all of you enjoy... at least that's my take on it... you could for example add Samurai Training feat that gives you proficiency with the Tanto, Wakisashi and Katana (Tanto is just a dagger, wakisashi is a short sword)... and then you could create the Tanto and Wakisashi although I'm much too tired to do that myself... it's a good idea tho
Sign In to post comments