[GTC-ICD] Fathom Mage

110 posts / 0 new
Last post
IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/L7zWz.png)

Fathom Mage |
Creature - Human Wizard
(R)

Evolve (Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control with power or toughness greater than this creature, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)

Whenever a +1/+1 counter is placed on ~, you may draw a card.

SOURCE: DailyMTG Present

Discuss!
Puresteel players unite! [Archetype] PURESTEEL

Fathom Mage |
Creature - Human Wizard
Evolve (Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control with power or toughness greater than this creature, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)
Whenever a +1/+1 counter is placed on ~, you may draw a card.

SOURCE: DailyMTG Present

Discuss!

I want one!
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
Another cool Simic card.
Known as Blitzer on most forums. Despite the username, I am male. Both sex AND gender.
Pretty much confirms the Simic guildmage, since we now know for sure that Evolve is the Simic mechanic.

Interesting design if I do say so myself. Makes the Melvin in me smile.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
If this is the  Simic guildmage, I am surpised that its a rare as all the other guildmages released so far are all 2 CMC, 2/2, uncommons.

Though it still a nice card, of course like the mechanic as well wond if they are going to have 1 CMC drop with evolve o.o
Likes Common Bond, loves Scavenge.  I'm loving Simic already!

I can't wait to draft triple GTC and then DGR. :D  Simic/Golgari 4lyfe!
If this is the  Simic guildmage, I am surpised that its a rare as all the other guildmages released so far are all 2 CMC, 2/2, uncommons.

Though it still a nice card, of course like the mechanic as well wond if they are going to have 1 CMC drop with evolve o.o

Since it doesn't have guildmage in its name, it is not the Simic Guildmage for GTC. :P

Besides, we already have the art for Simic's guildmage over at mythicspoiler.com , and this isn't it.

o right, woops forgot about the art for the guildmage[from fankit] and lack of guildmage in name. My bad

still like the card though :D I wonder if this would work in a Wizard tribal for fun

I wish I had bioluminescent skin. ):
This art is beautiful.  
I wish I had bioluminescent skin. ):

I'm pretty sure that's possible via tattoos.

Blessings of Nature?

Kind of sad that this is a Human actually. Would love it if this worked with Mikaeus, the Unhallowed. I can haz Undying forever? Sadly, no go, although Mikaeus, the Lunarch still sort of shows promise.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."

I can haz Undying forever?

Not sure what you mean.  If this weren't a human, how would it undie forever?

I can haz Undying forever?

Not sure what you mean.  If this weren't a human, how would it undie forever?

Never mind that, I apparently can not read. When I read that this had Evolve, I assumed it was like the Simic guildmage and could move counters to other creatures. Mikaeus, the Unhallowed would give it Undying, when it gets a +1/+1 counter, you can move the counter off of this and onto another creature, thus resetting Undying, allowing it to come back again with another +1/+1 counter. Rinse, repeat.

Sadly, this wouldn't work even if this wasn't a Human though, since unlike the Simic Guildmage, this cant transfer its counters to other creatures. Herp derp moment on my part. Disregard that, its late >.<.....the concept still works with Simic Fluxmage though.

Oh, and also Travel Preparations, something that actually works with this and isn't just me derping it up.
^ well there is  Simic Fluxmage with evolve that can transfer +1/+1 counters on him to other creatures by paying U and tapping and is a Merfolk Wizard. though he doesn't have the draw ability like this, but hey its something
I don't think I've ever said this before...but this is a creature that wants to be Primal Cocoon'd
If only this was in Ghave's colors...

Sage of Fables

That's a nice one. Add +1/+1 counters to draw cards, remove +1/+1 counters to draw cards.
If you drop a Blessings of Nature on it, do you draw 1 card or 4 cards?
I think you draw 4, not sure though.

Anyway I like this card. Don't think it's good enough for constructed at 4 mana, but it will be super neat to build around her in limited.

Also, splash black for Undying Evil!!

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Sage of Fables

That's a nice one. Add +1/+1 counters to draw cards, remove +1/+1 counters to draw cards.

I feel like there's a Modern deck with Sage and Glen Elendra Archmage that's so close to being good. Wizards get all the nice toys. 
My forum good deeds. Fortunately, left unpunished:
Show
"Incidentally, everytime you post in of these (mine or anyone else's) you have really great advice." -Tigerguy786 "Thanks Stop-Whining, your suggestions have been gold." -RedRollinS "You are probably the best person who has explained a certain concept to me so far, thank you VERY much for the information, it helps me out a ton. I can't wait to play this deck and use some cards for a deck of my own. Cheers!" -SpaceLincoln "In short, you good sir, are made of win advice. And I am actually going to be taking pretty much all of it." -jeremyc13
you will draw four cards since the ability triggers for each counter (four times).

love the card, really digging simic already. :D 
Some more cards to combo with:

Gilder Bairn
Lorescale Coatl
Power Conduit
Simic Guildmage

I wonder if Fathom Mage will be the Prerelease Promo and Intro Deck Foil for Simic?

Oh AWESOME!
Gruul better pull of something fantastic or it will be Simic all the way for me.
Hunger of the Howlpack is going to be a surprise common hit I tell you now...

I wonder if Fathom Mage will be the Prerelease Promo and Intro Deck Foil for Simic?

I'm betting this is the case. And I'm loving it.
I think [C]Increasing Savagery[/C] is really good with Fathom Mage. For 4Mana you draw 5 cards and have a solid 5/5 creature. You can even cast it with flashback cost later and draw 10. That's pretty insane.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

Gatecrash and Simic are going to work wonders for my commander deck. Evolve + Corpsejack Menace + Doubling Season? Sign me up! 
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I have to agree that this will probably be Simic's promo and intro pack foil. I also don't think this card will be standard playable. It falls into the same niche as Mesa Enchantress. Don't get me wrong; it looks like a great EDH and casual constructed card. But it's a 1/1 for 4cmc with no evasion.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
I love cards like this. Seems fun in Riku of Two Reflections edh.

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

Looks bad, I'd never run it.

It should have cost at the most. A converted mana cost of four pushes it out into the mid-game stretch, when your resources are winding down. Maybe this wouldn't have been so bad, but its benefits are totally dependent on other content, pushing its potential down farther because at a mid-high cost, it does nothing on its own.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

It should have cost at the most. A converted mana cost of four pushes it out into the mid-game stretch, when your resources are winding down. Maybe this wouldn't have been so bad, but its benefits are totally dependent on other content, pushing its potential down farther because at a mid-high cost, it does nothing on its own.

God, lightning bolt is a terrible card, it does nothing on its own and can't kill the opponent without depeding on other content.
The CMC is a bit high, but it also depends on how the rest of the set is structured. If moving counters is easy, this thing can generate a ton of card advantage. I bet there's probably an easy infinite combo somewhere.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
add in doubling season that is a lot of counters and draws lol

God, lightning bolt is a terrible card, it does nothing on its own and can't kill the opponent without depeding on other content.

Lightning Bolt on its own kills most creatures (hexproof, pro red, etc.) with toughness <=3 for one mana. For four mana this is a 1/1 chump blocker on its own. Don't compare the Rolls Royce of burn spells to this please. As it is, it's a 4 mana creature that dies to every kill spell in standard sans Ultimate Price, but notably falls to Electrickery and Geistflame or Izzet Staticaster. I dunno about you, but I don't want my 4 cost creature getting offed so easily. It would have probably seen constructed play if it was 1:U::G: so you could ramp it out on turn 2 and maybe if its toughness was bumped up by one. It's a good casual and limited card, but (as of now, seeing as we don't have the whole set) a pretty horrible constructed card.
A wise man on film sequels:
Watching sequels to really good films is like visiting a bollock kicking parlour, paying your money and then proceeding to get your bollocks kicked...then leaving and returning at a later date to repeat the process. -iamthehollow
Decks: :R::G: Karn Tron :R::U: Bloody Fish There Will Be Blood (movie).
Increasing Savagery actually, but the cost is still too high. You'll pop off the combo as soon as you can, that'll exaust your mana base and it'll be totally open to removal because you won't have any mana open to counteract the removal.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

I'd definitely built a bang deck with daily regimen and this for funsies. Add in lorescale coatl for extra funsies.

3DH4LIF3

Cards like this make things like Dispel worthwhile.

You can play this card turn 3 with a Farseek or Arbor Elf, still have mana to rebuke a burn spell, and then start draw lolling your way to a big, nasty, deadly creature.

Ring of Kalonia and Ring of Evos Isle also perhaps become more playable (there's your Trample and 'evasion' right there).

Elgaud Shieldmate can be another method, since Soulbond works well with and Flicker.

Irrespective of which - it needs to survive one turn before it gets bigger. And since it comes into play turn 3/4, come turn 5/6 tops, you can be dropping big, big creatures, and have another to back it up that draws cards every time a creature's dropped!

But hey, it's not Jace, and it costs four, so naturally, the internet will moan.