Spells cast with Token Creatures as target

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
So far this hasn't been as issue but now I find that I am play token creatures more and also coming against them more. I'm not sure what to do with them when they are a target of a spell like Unsummon or others. Where does the token creature go? If to the players hand then how is it cast again? What about a destroy spell. Does the token go to the graveyard? If so then how do you use a spell to return it to your hand and also how would you cast it back into play?
If a token leaves the battlefield, it actually goes to the designated zone technically, but then when state-based actions are checked (ie. almost immediately), it ceases to exist... poof!

What that means is that most players just get rid of the token, but it would technically trigger things - like, a token creature going to the graveyard would trigger Blood Artist, even though it disappears almost immediately.

110.5f A token that’s phased out, or that’s in a zone other than the battlefield, ceases to exist. This is a state-based action; see rule 704. (Note that if a token changes zones, applicable triggered abilities will trigger before the token ceases to exist.) 
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
So far this hasn't been as issue but now I find that I am play token creatures more and also coming against them more. I'm not sure what to do with them when they are a target of a spell like Unsummon or others. Where does the token creature go? If to the players hand then how is it cast again? What about a destroy spell. Does the token go to the graveyard? If so then how do you use a spell to return it to your hand and also how would you cast it back into play?

It goes to wherever you send it (such as your hand), and then it ceases to exist before you can do anything with it.

On the off chance there's an effect that would cause the token to return to the battlefield before SBAs would be checked (E.G. Cloudshift), the creature would not make it back to the battlefield.

110.5g A token that has left the battlefield can’t move to another zone or come back onto the battlefield. If such a token would change zones, it remains in its current zone instead. It ceases to exist the next time state-based actions are checked; see rule 704.