Need help making a Goblin Rogue

47 posts / 0 new
Last post
What I would like to achieve is a very sneaky Goblin who attains stealth easily and is able to use alot of hit and run (restealth) tactics. I really have no idea where to begin other then 

- Cunning stalker?
- Possibly Warlock for Shadow Walk?
- Something that will allow me to shift away and gain stealth after an attack or charge?

I was wondering if there might be some way to pull this off. If possible after my attacks I would like to stealth away (invisible?) and set up next to enemies to take advantage of OA's?

I got the idea in my head but have no idea how to pull it off. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Only think that is a must it the Goblin race.            
Rogue|(Warlock or Assassin)/(Warlock or Assasin).
Hybrid Talent Cunning Sneak.
Versatile Duelist
Cursed Shadow
Ghostwalker Style
Opportunity Sidestep

Basic chassis.
What Alcestis said, plus Risky Shift/Mark of Passage and Improved Cunning Sneak. Yeah, it's pretty feat intensive, but you can clear your 5 core feats (HT, MC, Ghostwalker Style, Improved Cunning Sneak, Risky Shift) + Expertise by end of heroic.

Also replace Opportunity Sidestep with Heavy Blade Opportunity if you're doing Versatile Duelist, but I wouldn't use heavy blades on a small character because they get supremely screwed by the versatile property.
Ah, I actually left out HBO. You can't replace it, you need both (ideally). You re-hide with the shift from Ghostwalker style and then shift again, still Hidden, with Opportunity Sidestep. That way you are truly Hidden when you end next to the next enemy, they don't know you're there.

Also left out that part of the reason you need Warlock, aside from Cursed Shadow qualification, is for Staff of the Traveler. Take that and hold it in your off-hand and one of the teleport boosters that work with any kind of teleporting (as opposed to just teleports from powers). Now you don't need Risky Shift. Which is a big deal on such a feat intensive build.

So seven feats and two items to really get it going, which means it starts functioning right at 11. You're right it won't really work on a Goblin though... are there any heavy blades a small character can use 1hed? Not like the damage die matters.
Scimitar and the two Talenta blades.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
Scimitar and the two Talenta blades.

No, just one.  Talenta sharrash is a 2h weapon.  Drow long knife is the other one...
Talenta Tangat is not worth the feat. Scimitar works but the +2 proficiency is annoying. Drow Long Knife is the only +3 proficiency option I think. That'll be another feat though.
I thought Staff of the Traveler was a brilliant idea, but then realized warlocks aren't actually proficient in staves.

For a heavy blade, you could use a Mage's Drow Long Knife, if you really need to save a feat. Which is not all that bad to have anyway, since it lets you burn your E7 (Touch of Command) to get Low Slash again.
I thought Staff of the Traveler was a brilliant idea, but then realized warlocks aren't actually proficient in staves.

For a heavy blade, you could use a Mage's Drow Long Knife, if you really need to save a feat. Which is not all that bad to have anyway, since it lets you burn your E7 (Touch of Command) to get Low Slash again.

Sorry, Assassins are though. "Weapons with which you have proficiency." Though that might require you to wield it as a weapon and not as an implement, which is unfortunate. Pity White Lotus Dueling Expertise only applies to Arcane Attacks, it'd solve the problem very neatly. You could still AIP for it, though that is another feat and defeats the purpose.

Mage's Drow Long Knife is an excellent call though.
Goblin Executioner|Warlock, Eldritch Strike as your main attack.

I would grab Assassins Strike as E1, Khirads Decree as D1, Delbans Deadly Attention as E3, Emerald Shield as D9, Smoke Bomb, Shadow Slip and Vanish as Utilities. That should set you up for all of heroic.

Rapier, Mindbite Scorn, Bracers of Mighty Striking... run and stab, stab and run.

So it seems like the way to go is Rogue/Assassin? (or possibly Executioner/Warlock)?

You mentioned that if I need to save a feat to go with the mages drow long knife? Does this not cost a feat, what is the difference between this and the regular Drow Long knife? Why would anyone spend a feat to become proficient?

Edit: Also how should I allocate my ability score?
You now have two suggestions, why don't you try to build two characters with the information on this page, see which one you like, and take it from there ?

Ability scores would depend on the class you pick and the starting level.
You now have two suggestions, why don't you try to build two characters with the information on this page, see which one you like, and take it from there ?

Ability scores would depend on the class you pick and the starting level.

Well I think that the Rogue / Assassin fits more with my idea of the character so I will see what I can come up with. I am unsure of which to choose as a secondary stat Cha or Int.

Also I am wondering if I should focus on charging powers and pick up boots of adapt charging to help with hit and run tactics? I want to be very hard to find and attack.

I don't know if I should bother taking a look at charging or not.

Also if anyone anyone has any suggestions for a PP that would be great. 
Rogue|(Warlock or Assassin)/(Warlock or Assasin).
Hybrid Talent Cunning Sneak.
Versatile Duelist
Cursed Shadow
Ghostwalker Style
Opportunity Sidestep

Basic chassis.

Why take ghostwalker style with deft strike when you could just take acrobatic strike to accomplish the same thing and save a feat? 
You mentioned that if I need to save a feat to go with the mages drow long knife? Does this not cost a feat, what is the difference between this and the regular Drow Long knife? Why would anyone spend a feat to become proficient?

Mage weapon is an enchantment that essentially gives you free proficiency. You would otherwise spend a feat for prof. because it gives you a small accurate heavy blade.
I'm at a loss here as to what powers will give the most synergy with this idea? I am trying to go Rogue / Assassin, but as far as powers does anyone have any suggestions?

Also Alcestis, if you could explain why I want ghostwalker style + Deft strike instead of acrobatics strike I would be greatful.
Deft Strike gives you the option of melee or ranged.  Since you're going to have a dagger as a rogue, getting more attack options is a good call since you can throw the dagger.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Deft Strike gives you the option of melee or ranged.  Since you're going to have a dagger as a rogue, getting more attack options is a good call since you can throw the dagger.

Worth a feat though? 

Kroann, I cannot stress this enough. Build something.

Warlock, rogue, executioner, assassin, whatever. Try it with the rapier, try it with the drow long knife, see what works for you and your DMs style.

Ask him if you can try a character out for a session or two. If it doesn't fit, you can come with something new. Since it will be the same race, same functionality, you could make it the same name, the same background and makes it a seamless switch.

Either way, you're are asking questions we cannot answer other than by stating a personal preference, and how does that help you at your table ?      
Kroann, I cannot stress this enough. Build something.

Warlock, rogue, executioner, assassin, whatever. Try it with the rapier, try it with the drow long knife, see what works for you and your DMs style.

Ask him if you can try a character out for a session or two. If it doesn't fit, you can come with something new. Since it will be the same race, same functionality, you could make it the same name, the same background and makes it a seamless switch.

Either way, you're are asking questions we cannot answer other than by stating a personal preference, and how does that help you at your table ?      

Yea I just don't have the experience that alot of you guys do to know what feats, powers, class combos, etc. synergize well together. But whatever, i'll give it a shot.

I was inspired by this community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
but it is terribly outdated.  
Ya know, how do you think people got that experience?

I would still favour Warlock|Executioner, which had not been released at the time. I do agree with the rapier though. 
Why take ghostwalker style with deft strike when you could just take acrobatic strike to accomplish the same thing and save a feat? 

Because you cannot rehide as part of the same action that causes you to lose Hidden. But Deft Strike+Ghostwalker Style allows you to shift as a free action, since it is not part of the same action, you can use it to rehide, as you are allowed to Hide at the end of any action that involves moving. Acrobatic Strike causes you to shift as part of using the attack power, so if you were already Hidden, you attack, lose Hidden, and cannot rehide.

The idea is really complicated, but it is precisely what you asked for. I left out Heavy Blade Opportunity, but basically this is what happens:

Cunning Sneak: Allows you to Hide with only Cover/Concealment, instead of Total Cover or Total Concealment. You must get this via either being a pure-class Rogue, or hybriding Rogue and taking Hybrid Talent for it.

Cursed Shadow: On your turn, whenever you move three squares from where you started your turn, you gain Concealment until the end of your next turn. This feat requires both Warlock and Assasin to qualify for it. Between this and Cunning Sneak, you require no outside assitance (no shadows, walls, bushes, etc.,) to Hide.

Versatile Duelist: Allows you to use Sneak Attack with Heavy Blades. You'll be using Heavy Blades because of:

Heavy Blade Opportunity: When you make an OA with a Heavy Blade, you can use a regular at-will instead of an MBA. You're going to use Deft Strike. First benefit is that you can sneak attack one/turn, but hybrids only get Sneak Attack on Rogue powers. But you're now using Deft Strike for your OAs, and Deft Strike is a Rogue power you can sneak attack with because of Verstile Duelist. Basically every OA you make is getting Sneak Attack.

Ghostwalker Style: Shift as a free action after you Deft Strike. So for your OAs you used Deft Strike, lost Hidden, but now you shift and re-hide. Monsters will still know the last square you were in though, where is where:

Opportunity Sidestep: comes in. This allows you to shift after an OA. So you already shift once to rehide. Now you shift again, while Hidden, and monsters have no clue where you are. All this sounds great, but you've run into a minor issue where you need to shift 3 to Hide (plus the issue of getting next to the next monster), so you:

Improved Cunning Sneak: You only need to shift 2 to rehide and

Risky Shift: You can shift one additional square. You could also take AIP (Arcane Implement Proficiency): Staves, off-hand a Staff of the Traveler (all Shifts are turned into teleports) and take an item that increases teleport distance. If you can get it to 3+, you don't need Improved Cunning Sneak.

So break that down. You're Hidden standing next to a baddie. He moves or makes a ranged attack. You OA him with sneak attack. As a free action you shift and rehide. Then you shift again, to end up next to the next baddie in initiative order. His turn comes up, he moves or makes a ranged attack. You OA him with sneak attack. As a free action you shift and rehide. Then you shift again, to end up next to the next baddie in initiative order.

As a Goblin you're going to need use a Drow Long Knife to make this work, but we covered that, just use a Mage's weapon.

Because you cannot rehide as part of the same action that causes you to lose Hidden. But Deft Strike+Ghostwalker Style allows you to shift as a free action, since it is not part of the same action, you can use it to rehide, as you are allowed to Hide at the end of any action that involves moving. Acrobatic Strike causes you to shift as part of using the attack power, so if you were already Hidden, you attack, lose Hidden, and cannot rehide.

The idea is really complicated, but it is precisely what you asked for. I left out Heavy Blade Opportunity, but basically this is what happens:

Cunning Sneak: Allows you to Hide with only Cover/Concealment, instead of Total Cover or Total Concealment. You must get this via either being a pure-class Rogue, or hybriding Rogue and taking Hybrid Talent for it.

Cursed Shadow: On your turn, whenever you move three squares from where you started your turn, you gain Concealment until the end of your next turn. This feat requires both Warlock and Assasin to qualify for it. Between this and Cunning Sneak, you require no outside assitance (no shadows, walls, bushes, etc.,) to Hide.

Versatile Duelist: Allows you to use Sneak Attack with Heavy Blades. You'll be using Heavy Blades because of:

Heavy Blade Opportunity: When you make an OA with a Heavy Blade, you can use a regular at-will instead of an MBA. You're going to use Deft Strike. First benefit is that you can sneak attack one/turn, but hybrids only get Sneak Attack on Rogue powers. But you're now using Deft Strike for your OAs, and Deft Strike is a Rogue power you can sneak attack with because of Verstile Duelist. Basically every OA you make is getting Sneak Attack.

Ghostwalker Style: Shift as a free action after you Deft Strike. So for your OAs you used Deft Strike, lost Hidden, but now you shift and re-hide. Monsters will still know the last square you were in though, where is where:

Opportunity Sidestep: comes in. This allows you to shift after an OA. So you already shift once to rehide. Now you shift again, while Hidden, and monsters have no clue where you are. All this sounds great, but you've run into a minor issue where you need to shift 3 to Hide (plus the issue of getting next to the next monster), so you:

Improved Cunning Sneak: You only need to shift 2 to rehide and

Risky Shift: You can shift one additional square. You could also take AIP (Arcane Implement Proficiency): Staves, off-hand a Staff of the Traveler (all Shifts are turned into teleports) and take an item that increases teleport distance. If you can get it to 3+, you don't need Improved Cunning Sneak.

So break that down. You're Hidden standing next to a baddie. He moves or makes a ranged attack. You OA him with sneak attack. As a free action you shift and rehide. Then you shift again, to end up next to the next baddie in initiative order. His turn comes up, he moves or makes a ranged attack. You OA him with sneak attack. As a free action you shift and rehide. Then you shift again, to end up next to the next baddie in initiative order.

As a Goblin you're going to need use a Drow Long Knife to make this work, but we covered that, just use a Mage's weapon.

I can't thank you enough Alcestis. This really helps me understand how the build will work. I had all the peices infront of me but you helped me see how they went together. I appreciate you taking the time to do this.

The only two other questions I had are; multiclassing into assassin. I assume I would do this asap to qualify for cursed shadow? Mabey take multiclass assissan at lvl 2 and then cursed shadow at 4? So am I right in assuming I would go Rogue / Warlock and multiclass into Assassin?

And the 2nd was about your example of my actions on an offturn. Where I make an OA, then shift and rehide and shift again. If I understand correctly I can attempt to rehide because of the benifit I would have gained on the previous turn due to Cursed Shadow, granting me concealment?

Aside from that I think I have a pretty good understanding of how this should play out. I'll post a sample build soon.

Thank you again.      

Yeah, my first three feats would be Hybrid Talent: Cunning Sneak, MC Assasin (or MC Warlock, you can hybrid Rogue|Ass, Rogue|Exe, or Rogue|Warlock, though I prefer Rogue|Warlock even though in order to qualify for HBO you need to go 18 Dex/16 Cha, putting your Warlock attacks behind by 1), and Cursed Shadow. Strictly speaking I'd probably take Expertise/Improved Defenses next and then retrain them at 10 and 11 to get the build completely online by 12, then take Expertise again at 14. Unless I was starting in Paragon, of course.

Yeah, you have Concealment from Shadow Walk till the end of your next turn and all you need to hide is Concealment. So long as you move three squares away from where you started every turn, you basically never lose Concealment. I prefer playing this as a Pixie because flying automatically beats Tremorsense, but Goblin will be fine against most monsters.

I'd also check out the "Rules of the Hidden Club" sticky Rules Q&A forum if you haven't. You will need a very solid understanding of the Stealth/Hidden rules to actually play this build.

It should be noted you are tanking your AC (level+12). Sort of like a stealthed glass repeater cannon. Also your PP choice is pretty wide open. Shadow Dancer is probably the most straight-forward choice, as its encounter power combines movement+an attack, so you can minor (curse) standard (teleport+hit with Eldritch Strike, Hide)+Move (Etherial Sidestep to enemy who is up after you). This gets the whole routine going with great action economy.

Other options are Evermeet Warlock, Blade Bravo (if you don't have a defender, having every single enemy marked by when they can't find you to hit you is effectively +2 to all defenses for your party), and several others.
Also look into Champion of the Vigil if you can qualify for that PP. I recall a permahidden build in the past that used it to good effect.

The Yakuza theme is very helpful here as you can get +Cha to your OA to hit with it and you need to hit.

I think you reversed these two? Opportunity Sidestep happens after a hit(during the attack) where Ghostwalker Style happens after the attack?
As a single-target attack they happen at the same time actually, you can pick either one to go first. Won't make a difference.

Yakuza is kind of hit or miss. If you open up a with a single-target power, you only get the bonus against him, but in theory you are making an OA against every monster on the board. If you can take a burst/blast and open up with that it gets a bit better, assuming you don't need to move to position yourself before you attack, because you need that move to rehide. I've tried both Yakuza and Fey Beast Tamer with this build and I prefer Fey Beast Tamer, just because I was in a party without Comrade's Succor, so all my surges were spent on the beast. He soaked his share of the party's damage and the boogeyman issue of having a permastealth character never came up.

Oh, and Warp in the Weave is a stellar power. I didn't even use it every encounter (truthfully my minors were almost always spent cursing, Low Slashing, or recyling Low Slash via Mage's Weapon, so most utility powers were a no-go), but it was totally worth it when it happened.
Is there a particular Pact any of you would recommend for this build?
Is there a particular Pact any of you would recommend for this build?

Ok here is what I came up with. I've no idea if I done it right with my power selections but I tried to follow everyones advice.

I don't think I am taking full advantage of the teleport part of this build? Shadow Dancer seems to have some benifit from me teleporting. Is there a warlock power I should be taking?

Lemme know what you think.  
 ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Snig, level 12 Goblin, Rogue/Warlock, Shadow Dancer
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid) Option: Infernal Pact  (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock Option: Hybrid Warlock Reflex
Eldritch Strike Option: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Hybrid Talent Option: Rogue Tactics (Hybrid)
Rogue Tactics (Hybrid) Option: Cunning Sneak (Hybrid)
Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)
Theme: Alchemist  

FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 15, CON 14, DEX 21, INT 11, WIS 9, CHA 19  

STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 14, CON 13, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 14    

AC: 23 Fort: 18 Ref: 24 Will: 20
HP: 88 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 22  

TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +16, Bluff +17, Perception +10, Stealth +18, Thievery +16  

UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +6, Athletics +8, Diplomacy +10, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +8, Heal +5, History +6, Insight +5, Intimidate +10, Nature +5, Religion +6, Streetwise +10  
POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Goblin Utility:
Goblin Tactics
Warlock's Curse  Power: Warlock's Curse
Assassin Feature: Assassin's Shroud
Rogue Attack 1: Deft Strike
Warlock Attack 1: Eldritch Strike
Rogue Attack 1: Acrobat's Blade Trick
Rogue Attack 1: Handspring Assault
Rogue Utility 2: Sneak in the Attack
Warlock Attack 3: Otherwind Stride
Warlock Attack 5: Emerald Shield
Warlock Utility 6: Mirror Darkly
Rogue Attack 7: Snap Shot
Rogue Attack 9: Vexing Escape
Alchemist Utility 10: Goblin Oil
Shadow Dancer Attack 11: Shadowy Tendrils
Shadow Dancer Utility 12: Shadow Stalk  

FEATS
Alchemist
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Shadow Initiate
Level 4: Cursed Shadow
Level 6: Versatile Duelist
Level 8: Ghostwalker Style
Level 10: Improved Cunning Sneak
Level 11: Heavy Blade Opportunity
Level 12: Opportunity Sidestep  

ITEMS Mage's Drow long knife +1
Leather Armor x1
Adventurer's Kit
Dagger x2
Crossbow
Alchemist's Fire
Spotted Toadstool Venom
Acidic Fire
====== End ======
Etheriel Sidestep @10. Your pact doesn't really matter, most of the powers I'd recommend don't have pact-specific riders. But check out the Warlock handbook and decide for yourself if any of the riders are worth it. The feat support won't factor in, you don't have enough feats.

See my note about minor actions, for the most part you don't have any to spare, so minor action utility powers are not very useful.

I'd take Decree of Khirad as a level 1 daily and Bloodbath as a level 5.

Train Arcana, take Warp in the Weave @6.

Use the Warlock NAD boost to boost Will. Ref is not an important NAD.

Take a Warlock E1 so you can take Low Slash at 3. On AP rounds this'll mean you can get curse, sneak attack, and still hide.
I am having trouble qualifying for the Shadow Dancer PP with this build. It requires me to take an at-will or encounter "teleport" power. The only one avaliable to me that I can see is a lvl 3 warlock encounter, meaning I would have to give up low slash.

Any suggestions? Am I missing something? 
I am having trouble qualifying for the Shadow Dancer PP with this build. It requires me to take an at-will or encounter "teleport" power. The only one avaliable to me that I can see is a lvl 3 warlock encounter, meaning I would have to give up low slash.

Grabbing either the Bregan D'aerthe Mercenary or the Wild Hunt Rider character theme would open up a L10 encounter utility with the teleportation keyword.
You're missing the part where Alcestis said to take Ethereal Sidestep at level 10. It's pretty much a no-brainer for any warlock or hybrid warlock and in this case also happens to qualify you for Shadow Dancer.

Ethereal Sidestep @10. It really isn't an optional part of the build, it is to useful.

Ethereal Sidestep @10. It really isn't an optional part of the build, it is to useful.

Ok my bad, I was assuming that utility powers didnt count.

As far as Ethereal Sidestep, I took it but I don't really see the use of it? why would I want to just teleport 1 square on my move action rather then shift (seeing as how my shift action will be buffed through feats)?

Once again I am sure I am overlooking its usefulness and synergy? I apoligize, and thank you again for all the help with this build.

Taking all options into consideration, it's easier to increase teleports than it is shifts, or at least easier to stack all the available boosts. An incisive dagger alone can give you a huge boost, and there are several other items as well, but they are mostly paragon and higher.

Teleports in general have a lot of advantages over a shift. They ignore difficult terrain, they break grabs, they can move you vertically, they don't trigger some enemy marks like shifting can, they can move you through enemies or other hindering terrain, and probably several other benefits I can't come up with on the spot. It's just a lot easier (and more common) for a DM to shut down shifting than it is to shut down teleports.
Ok my bad, I was assuming that utility powers didnt count.

As far as Ethereal Sidestep, I took it but I don't really see the use of it? why would I want to just teleport 1 square on my move action rather then shift (seeing as how my shift action will be buffed through feats)?

Once again I am sure I am overlooking its usefulness and synergy? I apoligize, and thank you again for all the help with this build.

It gets around nearly everything and there are enough items that increase teleport distance that, if you wanted to be absurd, you could turn a 1 square teleport into a 20+ square teleport. I'm not encouraging that, you only need 2-3 square teleport, but you get the idea.
Ok here is my final build. I followed most of your advice and think I got it about right. Any last suggestions would be welcome.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Snig, level 12
Goblin, Rogue/Warlock, Shadow Dancer
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid) Option: Dark Pact (Hybrid)
Eldritch Strike Option: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Hybrid Warlock Option: Hybrid Warlock Will
Hybrid Talent Option: Rogue Tactics (Hybrid)
Rogue Tactics (Hybrid) Option: Cunning Sneak (Hybrid)
Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)
Theme: Bregan D'aerthe Mercenary  

FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 15, CON 11, DEX 21, INT 14, WIS 9, CHA 19  

STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 14, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 13, WIS 8, CHA 14    

AC: 26 Fort: 18 Ref: 23 Will: 21 
HP: 88 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 22  

TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +16, Arcana +13, Bluff +19, Perception +10, Stealth +18, Thievery +16  

UNTRAINED SKILLS Athletics +8, Diplomacy +10, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +6, Heal +5, History +8, Insight +5, Intimidate +10, Nature +5, Religion +8, Streetwise +10  

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Bregan D'aerthe Mercenary Utility: Skullduggery
Bregan D'aerthe Mercenary Attack: Uncertain Loyalties
Goblin Utility: Goblin Tactics
Warlock's Curse  Power: Warlock's Curse
Assassin Feature: Assassin's Shroud
Rogue Attack 1: Deft Strike
Warlock Attack 1: Eldritch Strike
Warlock Attack 1: Cursebite
Rogue Attack 1: Handspring Assault
Rogue Utility 2: Sneak in the Attack
Rogue Attack 3: Low Slash
Warlock Attack 5: Emerald Shield
Goblin Utility 6: Living Shield
Rogue Attack 7: Killer's Ambush
Rogue Attack 9: Bewildering Assault
Warlock Utility 10: Ethereal Sidestep
Shadow Dancer Attack 11: Shadowy Tendrils
Shadow Dancer Utility 12: Shadow Stalk  

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Shadow Initiate
Level 4: Cursed Shadow
Level 6: Improved Cunning Sneak
Level 8: Versatile Duelist
Level 10: Ghostwalker Style
Level 11: Heavy Blade Opportunity
Level 12: Risky Shift   

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Mage's Drow long knife +3 x1
Incisive Dagger Dagger +2 x1
Magic Leather Armor +3 x1
Helm of Opportunity (heroic tier) x1
Bracers of Tactical Blows (heroic tier) x1
Boots of Adept Charging x1
====== End ======

Afew questions that came up were about the level 16 Shadow Dancer feature "Lingering Shadow". Does this make some of my feat selections obsolete? And next, I was wondering about charging, should it play a roll in this build to help with hit and run tactics?

Charging is kind of weird for this build, because you won't want to be Hidden when you do it, so you can Hide with the shift from the boots. I wouldn't fuss about it, it ending your turn kind of makes it less than interesting.

You need to have an Arcane power @7 so you can recyle it into Low Slash, almost doesn't matter what you take, but I'd grab Touch of Command just in case you ever get revealed and actually get attacked. For dailies I'd go Decree of Khirard (helps with positioning), Blood Bath (double-tap), and Knockout (use it with an AP to auto-crit). Warp in the Weave @6 is really incomparable for this build, your one weakness is being caught in AEs and it negates it one/encounter. And honestly you won't be spending your suges on much else.

I wouldn't take encounter minor action utilities, you are starved for Minors (Curse, Low Slash, Mage's Weapon to recyle Low Slash, Low Slash again) is basically all your minors for the first ~3 rounds of combat. Unless they are dailies that synergize with the build, speaking of: Assassin's Bane @2. Skimisher's usually have a shift+attack move so they don't have to provoke. Making them unable to shift stops that.

I'd take a different theme, but I'm not sure what. Yakuza is generically good for this build (it'll help one one target, at least). I might almost prefer the +2 to stealth then the extra HP for a background, but most monsters don't have very high perception. Oh, you should try and get your hands on an Assassin's Cloak so you can roll twice for stealth.
If you wanted to charge and permastealth, you'll need to invest in White Lotus Evasion and Evasion Master, but that's a serious investment on an already feat strapped build (no feat space for expertise or backstabber? that's rough...). Avoid unless you absolutely must, your major source of damage is from your rogue powers anyway.
What about charging if I where to take the Daring Acrobatic PP?
Sign In to post comments