Where the vexing devil love?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have recently started to play standard again and I made a decent red deck im thinkk of adding vexing devils but no one has suggested them is there a reason?
Because the metagame is dominated by thragtusk and supreme verdict. Red decks have evolved to play higher end cards (such as thundermaw hellkite) in order to overcome the lifegain and have better topdecks. 
Because the metagame is dominated by thragtusk and supreme verdict. Red decks have evolved to play higher end cards (such as thundermaw hellkite) in order to overcome the lifegain and have better topdecks. 

im sick of thragtusk and every playing three a game somehow
Devil is good in burn. Run a Rb burn list and someone will suggest 4 Devil.

Here really isn't an Aggro card.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
But if you run him in burn they'll just let him resolve and then turn some removal into not a blank. Plus, folks MDing lifegain makes burn bad.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
I never said burn was a good call. Its just a home for Devil.

No deck wants to see a 4 powee dude my turn 2 with no ramp. Devil on turn 1 or 2 should always be able to deal 4 damage in game 1. Once rhey know you're burn that may change things but in game 1 its in their best interest to just eat the initial 4.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
Basically, it is because the card is marginal at best, as is the case with all cards that give your opponent choices like this.

When you really need a creature, your opponent is going to take the damage straight to the face, when you really need the burn, your opponent is going to let the creature stick (and often when they do they will have removal in hand).

It is also a terrible 1 drop, since your opponent is basically never going to allow you to stick a 4/3 on turn 1, and 4 damage to the face on turn 1 is pretty terrible outside of anything but a pure burn list. Hence Anubuss' suggestion, that if you insist on playing Vexing Devil then the best place to play him is in a straight up burn list (which is pretty terrible at the moment, due to all the life gain in the format).

He is decent as a 1 or 2 of in quick Aggro decks like RDW, but even there he isnt great, and there are plenty of better options for creatures to play.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."