New to modern, Boros Help

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I made my first modern deck about 5 or 6 weeks ago, being RDW.  My goal though was to work towards a Boros deck, because I like the speed of the red cards, but the control element that White gives.  Anyways, I only have 4 fetch lands so far, and was looking at completing the deck before I continue with collecting Fetch lands. 
Here is what I have so far, I am not using Steppe Lynx or Plated Geopede yet just because of my lack of fetchlands.

How does it look and how can I make it better.  Also, how good is aven mindsensor? 
Why would you ever board in RIP when you have 4 Lavamancer?

Elite Vanguard over Fanatic?

Needs some Goblin Bushwacker.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
I'd cut a zerker, a fantastic and at least one lazamancer (he's got some serious ammo problems) for some Ash Zealot, because haste is awesome and screw flashback.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Thanks for the suggestions. This was just my first draft. I am gonna cut Lavamancers down to three, so they can be sided out for Rest in Peace, which hurts a lot of decks in modern. And the Bushwacker looks solid, from looking at some other lists there is usually only 1 Bushwacker. Is that what I should go with? Also, how good is Thalia in modern? Ash Zealot is good in standard right now, and when I did play in my only modern event I used her, and she saw a lot hate. So I probably should have taken that as a sign.
Thanks for the suggestions. This was just my first draft. I am gonna cut Lavamancers down to three, so they can be sided out for Rest in Peace, which hurts a lot of decks in modern. And the Bushwacker looks solid, from looking at some other lists there is usually only 1 Bushwacker. Is that what I should go with? Also, how good is Thalia in modern? Ash Zealot is good in standard right now, and when I did play in my only modern event I used her, and she saw a lot hate. So I probably should have taken that as a sign.

Thalia is solid-ish, but gets outclassed by non-utility creatures. If someone says "and it swings for 2" she'll beat the crap out of it but against a body, *shrugs*, she's a 2-drop. She's MD hate for storm/stuff if you go that route.

RIP may hurt other decks, and it's in color, just be aware that you'll have that many more gas problems with it subing the mancers 
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
I think the Graveyard hate you want is either:
Relic of Progenitus
Grafdigger's Cage
Tormod's Crypt

Maybe:
Wheel of Sun and Moon
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
I think the Graveyard hate you want is either: Relic of Progenitus Grafdigger's Cage Tormod's Crypt Maybe: Wheel of Sun and Moon

Or just Jotun Grunt, although then you're running into ever more gas problems.
76783093 wrote:
Yeah, I think tormods crypt is the graveyard hate I want. I have an updated my list and will post it later, being that its christmas eve and my kids are coocoo crazy. Merry Christmas guys!
Okay here is the updated list...  I had a chance to play it last night against my friends Legacy deck, and it fared rather well actually.  Anyways,  here it is!

I know I have not added in the Elite Vanguard, I just like the synergy with the Mogg Fanatic.  I like Figure of Destiny...  Anyways anymore thoughts or comments would greatrly appreciated.
Okay here is the updated list...  I had a chance to play it last night against my friends Legacy deck, and it fared rather well actually.  Anyways,  here it is!

I know I have not added in the Elite Vanguard, I just like the synergy with the Mogg Fanatic.  I like Figure of Destiny...  Anyways anymore thoughts or comments would greatrly appreciated.

Mana Tithe is a really weak counterspell. It doesn't belong in a aggro deck as well. You may want to look into Student of Warfare. A turn 1 drop that can become a 3/3 First Striker then soon a 4/4 double striker.

Also Stormblood was good back in old standard times, but now he's kind of weak, expecially in modern.

I feel like this deck needs solutions to non-creature permanents. Oblivion Rings will solve that. Aven Mindcensor's are for the sideboard against Tron/other tutor decks. Honestly idk if you have enough fuel for lavamancers.... but I kept 2 MB.

How ever, Hero of Bladehold is amazing for Boros, since this deck is more of a "bum rush" deck.

-3 Mana Tithe
-4 Stormblood Berzerker
-1 Aven Mindcensor
-1 Grim Lavamancer
+2 Bushwhacker
+3 Student of Warfare
+2 Oblivion Ring
+2 Hero of Bladehold
Decks I play: Modern: R/G Tron B/w Soul Sisters EDH: Gisela Midrange Edric Tap em down n' Swing Karrthus, the dragonlord Kaervek, the troll. Standard: The Aristocrats
My original hopes for Mana Tithe was to create a bit of tempo advantage because modern is a very fast format to play. But it is very situational. And the Stormblood's were so good in standard, I was hoping their evasion ability would be good in modern as well. I will loom into those changes.
Sorry, I mean LOOK into those changes.
I had a chance to play this last night again, and most of the games I played I won by turn 5 at the latest. Goblin Bushwacker is such a good card...
Most recent list now after some actual playtesting....

A few observations from suggestions I was given in this thread....
RiP is the best graveyard hate in what I have or been able to get. It hurts my Lavamancers, but they get sided out fast to bring in RiP. Also, the beserkers are pretty decent because they do have a form of evasion, even though they are condition to become a 3/3. I have 15 1drop creatures so doing damage on turn 2 is easy. Ranger of Eos kicks ass. And with the amount of removal I have for creatures, I can drag the game out for a turn or two so I can use him to get a bushwacker and whatever else one drop to hit for a good amount of damage.
Oh yes forgot to say I have no hero of bladehold. I traded them before rotation not thinking I was gonna even get I to modern. But I do like modern so far.... Lots of interesting decks.
Sign In to post comments