Prepare an Action: Most broken mechanic ever?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok guys, right now we've stopped the session for a while cuz we're filled with doubts...

Ok, so, it seems that preparing an action is totally broken, or we're missunderstanding it. Look, my players are fighting a bunch of dancing living dolls with blades on a dance hall. These guys LOVE chargning against my crew to hurt them badly, and they do it by stretching one of their legs with blades and sliding as Ice Dancers towards them. The rogue decided to do something... Ready an action. The idea was the following: Make a skill check against the doll so when it slided towards him, he would grab it by the leg and make it fall prone. Turns out suddenly my players started using that strategy once and once and once all over again. 

I noticed two things: Players can ready an action WHENEVER they want... and since some monster patterns are mre predictable than others, well, they can explot it very good. Plus if I stop making those atacks, my players would start complaining they're losing actions in vain. The second thing I noticed: ANY PLAYER can exploit this to be higher on initiative count...

So, what should I do with this "ready an action" stuff? 
So, the rogue trips the doll, and then it attacks him.  Then another doll walks up to him and attacks him, 'cause he can't take another action.

Where's the problem?
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
That all the players have been lucky enough to make the dolls trip like idiots ;/

They started 5 vs 8 dolls, not they're 5 vs 5... and well... A rogue using the "Most Annoying Rogue ever" build, a Warden, a Paladin, a Shaman and a Ranger are pulling quite the teamwork here... ;/

EDIT: PLUS, what kinda annoys me is, what are they gonna do with Solo monsters now that they discovered the awesomeness of thinking ahead and readying an action? I mean, I know that I should surprise them, like, the dragon about to spit fire making them ready for it, instead attacks with its tail and grabs them unaware. However, I think I would be abusing this mechanic a lot and it would turn out into an "unfairness" war. 
Well, you just houseruled that you can make people try by grabbing their legs. That'd be problem number one.

Second Readied Actions resolve as Reactions.

Third, you lose your standard to ready an action and your immediate, if it triggers. You don't get higher in initiate, you effectively lose a turn. Readying an action is a terrible idea almost all the time when you play it by the rules. I'd hazard a guess since you readily made up an overpowered trip the enemy houserule, your group doesn't have a very firm grasp in that area.
That all the players have been lucky enough to make the dolls trip like idiots ;/

They started 5 vs 8 dolls, not they're 5 vs 5... and well... A rogue using the "Most Annoying Rogue ever" build, a Warden, a Paladin, a Shaman and a Ranger are pulling quite the teamwork here... ;/

EDIT: PLUS, what kinda annoys me is, what are they gonna do with Solo monsters now that they discovered the awesomeness of thinking ahead and readying an action? I mean, I know that I should surprise them, like, the dragon about to spit fire making them ready for it, instead attacks with its tail and grabs them unaware. However, I think I would be abusing this mechanic a lot and it would turn out into an "unfairness" war. 

Well, firstly, solo monsters should not actually be used solo; they should always have backup.
And secondly ... again, not seeing the problem.  It's not like this is preventing anybody from attacking, and teamwork should be encouraged.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

If you can easily beat the players readying actions by having the monsters act intelligently, then there is no problem.

For example, these dolls have seen three of their number go down to the same tactic. They should be adapting. When the next one charges the Rogue, have it make an Athletics check to jump over him and continue charging the person behind him. The Rogue has now lost their turn, and instead gets to make an Opportunity Attack with his strength, instead of dex.

And, no, they cannot ready an action "any time they want."

You can only ready an action during your turn. It costs a standard action. It provokes Opportunity Actions from adjacent enemies. And it immediately ends your turn. And it is only one action. If they want to take their full suite of actions, they are instead delaying their turn. In order to come back into the initiative order after delaying, the acting character gets to finish their entire turn before the delaying character can act.

And you have houseruled in a trip action that is more powerful  / easier than normal actions that knock creatures prone. Imrpov is fine, but it should not be a better option than the powers designed to do the same thing.

Readying an action only provokes an OA if the action you are readying would provoke an OA when used.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Read the Ready An Action FAQ near the top of the Rules Q&A page. It's clear and concise.
When you Ready An Action, you choose the specific action the creature is readying. Unless the PC has a specific power that lets it grab and knock prone, he won't be able to do both at-will. Anyone can Ready An Action to ready a standard action to use the Grab power but it doesn't knock the target prone. And there is no action available to everyone in the rules that knock another creature prone, like Trip in 3.X or Knock Down in D&D Next. If the DM allowed this he is responsible of the consequences.

RC 247 Choose Action to Ready: Choose the specific action the creature is readying (the attack it plans to use, for example), as well as the intended target, if applicable. The creature can ready a standard action, a move action, or a minor action. Whichever action is chosen, the act of readying it is a standard action.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Well ok, I think my mistake here was not understanding this rule enough... I mean, I read it on the player's handbok and it seems so... overpowered :/

Still, thanks guys, now I  understand it much better... But this made me have another unrelated doubt so I'll make a new topic for it