Rakdos Aggro the 3 Mana Slot?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Heya guys,
I'm currently working on a Rakdos Aggro build (Note Rakdos not Zombie)
and have 3 spots open to fill the 3 Mana Gap.

Things I was thinking of
Rakdos Keyrune (Survives field wipers/holds off Thragtusk's)
Hellhole Flailer (4/3 for 3 Mana and can Burn for 4)
Pyreheart Wolf (Makes you're creatures bit more evasive and has Undying)

What do you guys prefer to fill the slots with or what gives overal better performances.

Greetings,
Playtest against different decks with a split card that can be cast as either Rakdos Keyrune, Hellhole Flailer or Pyreheart Wolf and decide which one you like more often.
Brimstone Volley, since you'll be playing mostly creatures and Morbid will be easy to turn on.   
Volley is likely to already be there. Creature wise, [C]Guttersnipe[/c] is good for that extra burn when you play a kill/burn spell. [Vampire Nighthawk[/c] is also a good call as it comes with flying + lifelink. Messenger is just good, though a little tough on mana at BBB. That's all I got off the top of my head
You might also want to think about splatter thug.  unleash for 2R and unleashes for a 3/3 first strike, fairly decent.  I would suggest keyrune out of all the choices.  Hope this helps.
Hey guys thanks for the replies,
Brimstone is indeed allready in the deck

I play to little instant/sorcery to make a real use out of Guttersnipe the Nighthawk is good but it's sideboarded.
Messenger is a great card but for B/R Zombie i'm playing R/B Rakdos more redbased triple black would be a problem in here.

Hmm Splatterthug is rather interesting yes also big enough to punish tusk's.

Yea on the moment i'm hanging more towards the Keyrunes because outside of it's 3/1 First strike body that dodges fieldwipers it's also a
mana fixer and could get Hellkites out at turn 4
1 of Olivia Voldaren also might be a nice consideration for main or sideboard.  Just a nice 4 drop that popped into my head.
2-3 of her in the 75.
Hey guys thanks for the replies,
Brimstone is indeed allready in the deck

Consider posting the entire deck list: I don't see how you can get good suggestions without the context of the other cards you are using.
Pretty much ALL the Rakdos builds are the same, variating between 5/6 cards
Same goes for B/R Zombies ;p
Not quite.

The difference between Rakdos aggro builds is that you play either Zombies or Red Deck Wins.

In Red Deck Wins, you're running Stromkirk Noble, Rakdos Cackler and Stonewright.
If Zombies, you're running Diregraf Ghoul, Gravecrawler and Rakdos Cackler (or Deathrite Shaman).

Regardless of colour, you want Knight of Infamy as one of your 2-drops. He is goddamn bonkers. Exalted is surprisingly relevant early game, and protection from white is relevant in standard. You should have a mana base that allows you to drop him on turn 2 in Red, if you draw him and not Ash Zealot.

In Zombies, Blood Artist is your second 2-drop.
In Red Deck Wins, Ash Zealot. In any other standard, she'd've been like $15. Here, like 3, tops. Hooray for budget.

3-drops: Hellhole Flailer or Pyreheart Wolf(?) in RDW. Wolf never impressed me much, but people seem to like Goblin War Drums in standard, so who knows.
Geralf's Messenger is THE 3-drop in Zombies, with a pair of Vampire Nighthawk if you feel like it. Nighthawk is really good.

4-drop: Regardless of build I would use 4 Falkenrath Aristocrat because she has flying and haste, same reason people started adding Thundermaw Hellkite. A lotta folks also like Hellrider; I'd use him as a 2-of. A serious bonus with Falkenrath Aristocrat in RDW is that most of your small creatures are humans and will give the Vampire a +1/+1 counter when you have to start saccing creatures to keep her alive.

Fill in with burn and removal as needed. I like a set each of Pillar of Flame, Searing Spear and Brimstone Volley.

Good removal would be Dreadbore, Victim of Night (probably not in RDW), Ultimate Price and Tragic Slip.
Without seeing a list I have to say if you can't run Messenger then ignore the 3-drop slot. Nothing else really stands out for Aggro.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
Pretty much ALL the Rakdos builds are the same, variating between 5/6 cards
Same goes for B/R Zombies ;p

I have three different Rakdos builds that vary by more than 5/6 cards.

I'd say the keyrune or the hellhole flailer. The keyrune for all the reasons you had listed, its the best of keyrune a out ATM.

Unlike most people I love the hellhole flailer and run him in my B/R agro deck. Not only is he cost effective for his power (with unleash) his sac spell has netted me so many wins.
Keyrune is more for midrange stuff anyway. It takes on a Thragtusk and lives.
Key rune is your best bet I think.
Not quite.

The difference between Rakdos aggro builds is that you play either Zombies or Red Deck Wins.

In Red Deck Wins, you're running Stromkirk Noble, Rakdos Cackler and Stonewright.
If Zombies, you're running Diregraf Ghoul, Gravecrawler and Rakdos Cackler (or Deathrite Shaman).

Regardless of colour, you want Knight of Infamy as one of your 2-drops. He is goddamn bonkers. Exalted is surprisingly relevant early game, and protection from white is relevant in standard. You should have a mana base that allows you to drop him on turn 2 in Red, if you draw him and not Ash Zealot.

In Zombies, Blood Artist is your second 2-drop.
In Red Deck Wins, Ash Zealot. In any other standard, she'd've been like $15. Here, like 3, tops. Hooray for budget.

3-drops: Hellhole Flailer or Pyreheart Wolf(?) in RDW. Wolf never impressed me much, but people seem to like Goblin War Drums in standard, so who knows.
Geralf's Messenger is THE 3-drop in Zombies, with a pair of Vampire Nighthawk if you feel like it. Nighthawk is really good.

4-drop: Regardless of build I would use 4 Falkenrath Aristocrat because she has flying and haste, same reason people started adding Thundermaw Hellkite. A lotta folks also like Hellrider; I'd use him as a 2-of. A serious bonus with Falkenrath Aristocrat in RDW is that most of your small creatures are humans and will give the Vampire a +1/+1 counter when you have to start saccing creatures to keep her alive.

Fill in with burn and removal as needed. I like a set each of Pillar of Flame, Searing Spear and Brimstone Volley.

Good removal would be Dreadbore, Victim of Night (probably not in RDW), Ultimate Price and Tragic Slip.

Deviant Gleeis a bit of a ghetto rancor but it is still nice.
Gore-house Chainwalkeris also a nice 2 drop for rakdos aggro. I like hellhole flailer also =). 

If you want a fun deck Markov Blademastercan be fun but she's not that good of a card.
IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/rCB4r.jpg)
Blademaster is still a 1/1 that costs 3 and lacks evasion; the opposite of what you want a 3-drop to do. Deviant Glee is a strictly better Unholy Strength which still doesn't do enough in constructed. Chainwalker could work in a mono red list in place of Lightning Mauler, assuming you have enough removal.