Weapon Proficiency Feats?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey friendos!

Loving the direction of D&D Next. Currently using the 12-17-2012 packet. One thing that has me scratching my head though, is the absence of weapon and armor proficieny feats, especially for the 'Special' weapons group that requires special training granted by feats or specialities... that don't exist. Did I miss something? Right now I'm kind of fudging it v3.5 style, simple and martial groups are their own proficiency and each special weapon requires it's own feat like Exotic Weapons of the days of yore.

If anyone has any insight let me know!

Thanks! 
AFAIK the weapons all come from classes -

however you could

- allow the racial weapon bonus to include proficency in those weapons.
- allow backgrounds like Bounty Hunter, Knight and Soldier to gain the choice of any 1 weapon.
- allow specialties like Polearm Master and Sharpshooter to gain proficency in all polearms/missle weapons respectively.

Key things for D&D - Where is the character from and why do they do what they do? / Recurring NPCs - allies and enemies / Plot, World and Personal Events.

Hey friendos!

Loving the direction of D&D Next. Currently using the 12-17-2012 packet. One thing that has me scratching my head though, is the absence of weapon and armor proficieny feats, especially for the 'Special' weapons group that requires special training granted by feats or specialities... that don't exist. Did I miss something? Right now I'm kind of fudging it v3.5 style, simple and martial groups are their own proficiency and each special weapon requires it's own feat like Exotic Weapons of the days of yore.

If anyone has any insight let me know!

Thanks! 

Yeah, I wonder that too. Why put in specialty weapon when no one can use them?

Well, not true. Look at Polearm Training: You gain proficiency with the glaive, the halberd, the longspear, and the quarterstaff.

however you could

- allow the racial weapon bonus to include proficency in those weapons.
- allow backgrounds like Bounty Hunter, Knight and Soldier to gain the choice of any 1 weapon.
- allow specialties like Polearm Master and Sharpshooter to gain proficency in all polearms/missle weapons respectively.

Yes. I saw the weapons granted by class. I'm not a complete numbskull... I do have a little D&D experience under my belt. We've been using the 4e/E system, focusing mostly on E, but I've been jonesin' for Next ever since I signed up and got my first packet.

Didn't even notice the weapon prof. thing until we decided to give Next a PT run and one of my players asked about the blowgun and how he'd get proficient with it.

The Polearm Training feat makes me want to believe that the weapons might be suited for weapon-type groups for prof.; axes, swords, bows, etc., but I'm not sure. Which is why I asked.

Peace. 
Special Weapons -

well there are a few options -

1-Create a Special Weapons feat, allowing the use of Blowgun, Bolas, Net, Spiked Shield, Whip. No prerequisites. Just time and training.

2-Allow everyone to use Blowgun, Bolas, Net, Spiked Shield, Whip. Generous but rules light. :D

3-Allow some classes to use them, i'd recommend Fighters and Clerics (Trickster and Warbringer).

4-Ambusher specialty could use bolas and nets, Skulker could use Blowgun and Whip.

5-Guild Thief or Thug backgrounds could allow the use of Blowgun, Bolas, Net, Spiked Shield, Whip.

hope this helps.

Key things for D&D - Where is the character from and why do they do what they do? / Recurring NPCs - allies and enemies / Plot, World and Personal Events.

The real question is: why should the system care what weapon any particular character is swinging around
The real question is: why should the system care what weapon any particular character is swinging around

Well, the reason the system should care is because of the whole meaning behind the word proficient. 

Not every Tom, Dick and Harry can pick up any ol' weapon and swing it around without a second thought. Proper use of any weapon requires time, training and experience. 

If I were to pick up an actual longsword (not one of those cheap stainless steel 'replicas' you can get at the mall for $20) and start using it, I can guarantee I wouldn't do so as well as an actual warrior who trained to use the weapon. In fact, the odds of me seriously hurting myself or others around me are actually significantly greater than that of me striking and doing any kind of meaningful damage to my actual target.

Sure, most weapons in their design are simplistic enough. Swing sword, hit target with sharp end. However, all weapons have things to consider such as weight, purpose, balance, design, strengths, weaknesses and loads of other finer points that we as amateurs (or just plain idiots) don't consider but make all the difference in the hands of a skilled user. And this is why non-proficient users are normally penalized.

That is why the system cares about what weapon characters use.

On that note, I decided to actually use the 4e/E system of weapon proficiency. Thank you all for your help.
Not every Tom, Dick and Harry can pick up any ol' weapon and swing it around without a second thought. Proper use of any weapon requires time, training and experience.

Okay.  Now, why should the system care what weapon any Tom, Dick, or Harry has put the time into training and experience?

There's no real reason why weapon proficiency can't go by a "pick one", "pick a few", or "don''t bother picking - you can use them all" model.  That is, outside of trope enforcement.

I would think using the 4E style of proficiency makes perfect sense.  At least until we have something more concrete to draw from.

I also tend to think that anyone who takes up an "adventuring" career has at least some familiarity with weaponry, that's why my first level wizardess isn't slicing off her thumb with her dagger, the way I probably would, when she's forced to use it under duress.  The added proficiency bonus comes into play when dealing with individuals who really focus their time and energy on mastering the use of said weapons.  So while my wizard might not spend much time weilding heavier blades, her aptitude with dagger at least allows her to use the longsword without causing bodily harm.  She's already got enough evil little kobolds and orcs trying to dice her up without helping them herself!

That's my thoughts on the subject at least!

~ Val
My problem is that say a wizard wants to become proficient in light armor so he can don leather armor...as the new rules state...as long as the wizard is proficient in the armor there is no penalty to casting...there needs to be a light armor proficiency.  Cool
It's better to burn out than fade away!
My problem is that say a wizard wants to become proficient in light armor so he can don leather armor...as the new rules state...as long as the wizard is proficient in the armor there is no penalty to casting...there needs to be a light armor proficiency.  

which i see no problem with. the wizard uses a limit feat to gain a limited class ability. instead of
a) more spells
b) maximised damage
c) increased range
d) ambusher (think about it)
e) a familiar
f) faster movement
etcetcetc
My problem is that say a wizard wants to become proficient in light armor so he can don leather armor...as the new rules state...as long as the wizard is proficient in the armor there is no penalty to casting...there needs to be a light armor proficiency.  Cool

All the wizard has to do is be a mountain dwarf. Then he can wear any light/medium armor he wants, though medium is better since they get a +1ac wearing it.

It would be cool if your class granted an amount of simple, martial, or special weapons... so players could pick which weapons their character had trained in.

Rogue could be something like all Simple and any 4 Martial weapons, Wizard could be Any 3 Simple and any 1 Martial weapon, Fighter could be all Simple/Martial and any 1 Special weapon, etc.

I think armor would need to remain the same, but shields could count as martial slots while choosing.

Once they add more tools, tool proficiency could come into play too.