He's not just smart, he's a Dracogenius

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
This deck may be my most hastily put together.  It's full of stuff that I had in the "Good for EDH" pile, but hadn't found a place for yet (Archmage Ascension, Malignus), stuff that just goes well with Niv (Sword of Feast and Famine, Venser's Journal) and then filled the rest of the spots with goofy stuff that looked like fun (Alpha Brawl, Curse of Echoes).  So here's the deck.  As always, constructive feedback is appreciated.

Side note: I have yet to calculate how many basics will go in.

Commander (1)

Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius

Lands (38)
Desolate Lighthouse
Izzet Boilerworks
Izzet Guildgate
Reliquary Tower
Steam Vents
Sulfur Falls
18 Island
14 Mountain

Creatures (19)
Frost Titan
Galvanoth
Goblin Electromancer
Hypersonic Dragon
Inferno Titan
Ludevic's Test Subject/Ludevic's Abomination
Malignus
Mercurial Chemister
Nin, the Pain Artist
Phyrexian Metamorph
Psychosis Crawler
Scourge of Geier Reach
Snapcaster Mage
Solemn Simulacrum
Sphinx of Uthuun
Stormtide Leviathan
Sturmgeist
Tyrant of Discord
Urabrask the Hidden

Artifacts (11)
Howling Mine
Izzet Keyrune
Izzet Signet
Lightning Greaves
Mind Stone
Planar Portal
Staff of Nin
Swiftfoot Boots
Sword of Feast and Famine
Thran Dynamo
Venser's Journal

Enchantments (9)
Archmage Ascension
Carry Away
Coastal Piracy
Curiosity
Curse of Echoes
Dissipation Field
Fervor
Quicksilver Dagger
Volition Reins

Spells (21)
Alpha Brawl
Banefire
Blasphemous Act
Blue Sun's Zenith
Chaos Warp
Counterflux
Detonate
Dissipate
Fact or Fiction
Fissure
Grab the Reins
Insurrection
Into the Core
Into the Maw of Hell
Mystical Tutor
Red Sun's Zenith
Spelltwine
Turn to Frog
Trade Secrets
Windfall

Planeswalkers (2)
Jace, Architect of Thought
Tamiyo, the Moon Sage

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Deadeye Navigator is practically a staple at this point and allows for numerous shenanigans. Palinchron if you want to go infinite mana for Niv. Other than that, I don't know because I've never played Izzet colors.
No milling defense?  I would be concerned...put in an Elixir of Immortality, Psychic Spiral, or one of these big boys to protect yourself.  Particularly if you're racing against a life gain deck...you want some recursion.
Deadeye Navigator is practically a staple at this point and allows for numerous shenanigans. Palinchron if you want to go infinite mana for Niv. Other than that, I don't know because I've never played Izzet colors.

I'm not into infine anything really, at least not in EDH.  I do like ole' Deadeye though.  I'm going to see how the deck does before I make any subs though.

No milling defense?  I would be concerned...put in an Elixir of Immortality, Psychic Spiral, or one of these big boys to protect yourself.  Particularly if you're racing against a life gain deck...you want some recursion.

That would never occur to me, honestly.  I don't think I've ever had anyone try to mill me in EDH.  It's not a bad idea though.  I used to run the Elixir when I started in the format, but I kinda...forgot about it.  I'm also not convinced about the viability of mill strategies in EDH unless it's part of some janky jankness from Janktown.

Mill isn't a viable strategy in this format...libraries start at 99 cards, there are multiple opponents, and many of them are running eldrazi. It's not something you need to prepare your deck against.

I'd never bother with something like elixir of immortality....paying 3 mana for 5 life is terrible (heck even heroes' reunion is bad), and shuffling your grave away means you can't use recursion, flashback, etc. It's just a terrible card.
Mill isn't a viable strategy in this format...libraries start at 99 cards, there are multiple opponents, and many of them are running eldrazi. It's not something you need to prepare your deck against. I'd never bother with something like elixir of immortality....paying 3 mana for 5 life is terrible (heck even heroes' reunion is bad), and shuffling your grave away means you can't use recursion, flashback, etc. It's just a terrible card.

usually no, however, if there's a group hug deck floating around in your playgroup it can be a concern.
No Stuffy Doll with Nin?

I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

My Current EDH Decks: Rhys the Redeemed Token Elves | Wort, Boggart Auntie R/B Goblins | Brion Stoutarm | Rakdos, Lord of Riots | Tajic, Weapon with Mass Destruction | Jor-Kadeen the Prevailer | Melek, Izzet Paragon | Heliod Enchantments | Prossh Tokens and Sac | Captain Sisay Legendary Toolbox Beatdown | Marath Beast Tribal | Marath Token Combos | Horde of Notions Elemental Tribal | Zirilian Mono Red Dragon Tribal

Yes... I have 14 built decks used regularly, including 3 Boros Colored Decks. Don't judge me. =P

No Stuffy Doll with Nin?

I would if she was the commander, but...eh.

I lost to "mill" one time accidentally. I ended up getting hit three consecutive times with a sword of body and mind and watched all my recursion get dumped into my yard. I mana drained a maelstrom wanderer so I could flashback increasing ambition to look for praetor's counsel (one reason why milling is bad) but couldn't find it. So without any viable path to victory I conceded and looked over my card choices while the rest played out the game. That's when I found my praetor's counsel stuck to another card.

3DH4LIF3

If you're going for funsies Illuminate and Invoke the Firemind seem fun with hypersonic.

I'm also all about cyclonic rift and vandal blast.

3DH4LIF3

Oona Mill might be somewhat viable since her mill exiles and helps bring the beats.
Oona going infinite or some sort of forced draw your deck... but not typical for the grind-fest a mill deck involves. If you can go infinite your gameplan should win no matter what it is.

I will say that geth has gotten out of hand a few times against decks not playing eldrazi.

3DH4LIF3

I run his evil twin self in my dracogenius deck more damage all around. I also run Mana Flare to ramp up the damage.

<----- Loser.

If you're going for funsies Illuminate and Invoke the Firemind seem fun with hypersonic. I'm also all about cyclonic rift and vandal blast.

I also love Vandalblast, but I've somehow managed to forget about it when building two recent red-containing decks.  Silly me.  I only have one Cyclonic Rift at the moment, but that'll have to change soon.  After I test it out, I'll probably add those two.
I run his evil twin self in my dracogenius deck more damage all around. I also run Mana Flare to ramp up the damage.

I'm running Curiosity, so the Firemind is out.  Two-card game-ending combos are huge no-nos in my group, and it would just make me feel like a butthole anyway.  Mana Flare, though, is a freakin' great idea.  I'll probably find a place for that too. 

Mana flare seems bad... fun for ever'body!!! But bad...

3DH4LIF3

Mana flare seems bad... fun for ever'body!!! But bad...

Why?  It can dramatically increase the number of activations I can get out of Niv, allowing me to deal a little damage and draw some cards and/or machine gun some opposing creatures.  I agree that Mana Flare isn't so great in a typical deck, but I really like it with Niv 2.

There are other options for producing lots of mana, though less effective, that don't ramp opponents. But test it, maybe I'm overly cautious.

3DH4LIF3

You could have a lot more fun with Niv if you slap a Basilisk Collar on him.
Rules Advisor
There are other options for producing lots of mana, though less effective, that don't ramp opponents. But test it, maybe I'm overly cautious.

I think I'll give it a shot. My group is the perfect middle ground between casual and competitive, so I don't think I'll bite me too hard.  We'll see though; you may be right. 
You could have a lot more fun with Niv if you slap a Basilisk Collar on him.

That's true!  However, I only have one and it currently lives in my Kemba deck.  I did manage to obtain an Umezawa's Jitte, so maybe I'll switch them.  It's looking like I'll have a lot of considerations after I take the deck for a spin.

I've had a blast with mana flare in my niv 2 deck, drawing more cards and hosing people always works out well for me.

<----- Loser.

Still new to the format, but building a Niv-Mizzet deck as well. Sorry I don't have my deck list on hand. The original game plan was tons of Tim and untap effects, but I just may switch to more ramp and boostable creatures instead.

Anyway, is it just me, or does anybody else always think "Wile E. Coyote, Supergenius" when Niv shows up?
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Mill isn't a viable strategy in this formatquote]

That is a myth and I can prove it While not the main win con in my Damia deck it can and will mill out the whole table and if I put my mind to it I could make it a very reliable win con.  (it is a really clunky and kind of jenky combo on poupose but it could be refined and the deck could be more built around it)  And yes the fact that no one is prepared for it makes it all that much eaiser to do.  And you can not forget Onna last time I checked she is a pretty relable Mill win con.  See also Geth
Still new to the format, but building a Niv-Mizzet deck as well. Sorry I don't have my deck list on hand. The original game plan was tons of Tim and untap effects, but I just may switch to more ramp and boostable creatures instead.

Anyway, is it just me, or does anybody else always think "Wile E. Coyote, Supergenius" when Niv shows up?

What I was going for here was stuff that focused on hand size.  I could have done more with that, but I really wanted to include fun/silly stuff like Alpha Brawl.

Mill isn't a viable strategy in this format

That is a myth and I can prove it While not the main win con in my Damia deck it can and will mill out the whole table and if I put my mind to it I could make it a very reliable win con.  (it is a really clunky and kind of jenky combo on poupose but it could be refined and the deck could be more built around it)  And yes the fact that no one is prepared for it makes it all that much eaiser to do.  And you can not forget Onna last time I checked she is a pretty relable Mill win con.  See also Geth

Relying on generals for mill strategies is a risky proposition.

I'll third the mill is a not viable. Its more likely to exile libraries or force players to draw their deck. I've seen one game lost to a forced draw, and could easily build and Oona deck that does infinite to exile whole libraries.... but milling into the graveyard isn't a good idea. 

3DH4LIF3

I'll third the mill is a not viable. Its more likely to exile libraries or force players to draw their deck. I've seen one game lost to a forced draw, and could easily build and Oona deck that does infinite to exile whole libraries.... but milling into the graveyard isn't a good idea. 

When you mill the whole table to death at once its not that risky plus I always make sure I have leyline of the void in play before I start the combo.  Now as instated before this is in a Damia deck (who is not  a dedicated mill genral.  But i have pulled it off before as a funny win condition. And no one sees Coming.  Also if I really wanted to retool the deck I think I could get it off pretty consistently.  But I just like it as  play as many cards as possible as fast as possible while abusing my grave yard.  That being said the deck dose get hosed pretty frequently but it's still a blast to play.  But I believe mill is a viable win con.  it has to be combo mill though.  Trying to do it the traditional way of 2 to 10 cards at a time is abserd and as stated before very dangerous.

mox  
I removed Pithing Needle from my deck, because it was kind of a jerk card to play.

Anyway, I've found Niv-Mizzet tends to draw a ton of hate. Best thing I can do is slap Lightning Greaves on it. Pity me if someone can toss Terminate onto the stack.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I play eldrazi. You cannot mill me.

Its not viable because one only has to add the one card to completely trump the strategy, and there are two of them.

You might be able to win games with combo mill. I can win games with torpor orb wormfang manta and venser, doesn't mean its viable.

3DH4LIF3

I play eldrazi. You cannot mill me.

Its not viable because one only has to add the one card to completely trump the strategy, and there are two of them.

You might be able to win games with combo mill. I can win games with torpor orb wormfang manta and venser, doesn't mean its viable.

leyline of the void ftw.  I planned for eldrazi. So I could mill you Cool And just because it isn't common, does not mean it isn't viable.  Tats the great thing about edh, in a fun group format there is room for things like this. MAnd the deck does pretty well and I play in a pretty strong meta.  I hope this has broadened your mind about what is possible In edh.  

as usual thanks for all the good discussion

to the OP sorry if this got thread jacked into a milling thread.  My bad  
I removed Pithing Needle from my deck, because it was kind of a jerk card to play.

Anyway, I've found Niv-Mizzet tends to draw a ton of hate. Best thing I can do is slap Lightning Greaves on it. Pity me if someone can toss Terminate onto the stack.

Pithing Needle is fine with me.  I think there are far meaner/unfair/janky options.  Several of my decks, including this one, are eagerly awaiting the arrival of a flashy new pair of Illusionist's Bracers.

Niv hasn't drawn a crazy amount of hate yet, mainly because we have a Kaalia player in our group, and her deck will dominate the game if the rest of us don't try to keep it in check.

Mox, I mentioned exiling. So yes, leyline of the void... not a milling strategy but an exile strategy. I suppose its thematically related. But its not milling.

3DH4LIF3

Mox, I mentioned exiling. So yes, leyline of the void... not a milling strategy but an exile strategy. I suppose its thematically related. But its not milling.

Ok I'll concede that point to you the diffrence between mill and exile.  And trying to do it bits a time is awful, but one shot exiling the whole tables libraries, they never see it coming.  And I find politically people are more inclined to being killed by a bigger combo that has to be explained to them (this happens every time I pull this combo off)  than simply tooth and nailing (can I use that as a verb?)  out and winning (which  my riku deck does a lot of.) 

So I could make Damia Super broken BUG provides the best of all magic.  Toutor, ramp, removal, draw, controol, recur and bounce in a way that RUG can not.  Use the same combo frame as Riku with amazing toutors and recure...... I'm almost talking myself into making this deck as I type.  I only run two red cards.... Sorry Im getting off topic that is already off topic.  But I have alwyas been interested in mill/excile as a win con and being able to do it in EDH is really fun when it happens.  And that is what this format should be about fun. 

That is why no one should ever run spin into myth tunnle vision

Mox
using cards as verbs?

Tooth-and-Nailing two creatures...
Beseeching the Queen.... 

I find myself saying, "I'm going to [inset card name here]." Some times it sounds fine.

I'm going to reap and sow.
I'm going to kodama's reach.

3DH4LIF3

using cards as verbs?

Tooth-and-Nailing two creatures...
Beseeching the Queen.... 

I find myself saying, "I'm going to [inset card name here]." Some times it sounds fine.

I'm going to reap and sow.
I'm going to kodama's reach.

But in the present tense of casting the spell it does properley describe the action.  At least I think so English was never my strong suite as you can tell by reading my posts lol
Thanks for hijacking my thread guys.

You're welcome.

3DH4LIF3

Sign In to post comments