DLCR: Syncopate

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays other RtR card to rate is...

Syncopate

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

I actually like Syncopate in this set.  It can be really good against golgari removing one of the scavenge dudes from the game.  And I just think it's a fine counter spell.  It's splashable and works good for me most of the time.

Discuss! 
I haven't played with it much. I would go 2.0 Later in the game it really isn't great so I tend to use it in the first few turns.
It's a fine counterspell, the best one in the set, but I still don't love playing counterspells in Limited. 2.0
There's enough countermagic in the set to make that type of deck worthwhile to run.  As I found out last friday when my B/R deck couldn't get a single spell through from turn 3 on.  Was one of the most aggravating experiences in quite a while. 

That said, about a 2.0 for me.  I can see no real reason not to run in most any U-colored deck.  There are certain spells you just want to stop from hitting.
It's a fine counterspell, the best one in the set, but I still don't love playing counterspells in Limited. 2.0

>Tracks losing to bombs
>Doesn't like countermagic 
Countermagic is something that works best if you know the contents of your opponent's deck and what their overall game plan will be. To use it effectively you need to know which spells to counter and which turns you need to leave mana up. For this reason counterspells lend themselves better to constructed play than they do to limited. This is a fairly simple concept and something that most Magic players pick up on immediately. Congratulations on being the exception Shadowchu.
Everybody's deck has something that is worth countering in it. Yeah, it takes more skill to use counter magic but I guess that's something you need to improve about your game. Sorry that not every card is easy mode for you. 

This card is relevant every turn except the first. It always is a 1 for 1, can give you board advantage, disrupts aggro or nullifies bombs. It's no mana leak but it's legit.

Also, I really like the art, and using musical terminology to describe/understand MTG's magic.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

3-3.5. I like counterspells and I think this is the best one.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
There is a lot of tapping out going on in most limited games, and that can make this into an easy Counterspell.  I've only grabbed this card a couple of times, but it always came in very handy  If i know i'm playing blue, this is a pretty early pick.  3.5    
Sign In to post comments