RTR contest: Returning Mechanics: Rakdos Wither

49 posts / 0 new
Last post
You know the score.

Mark Rosewater did a mailbag article.
Hypothetically what mechanics would the guilds get if they had returning mechanics
Rakdos got wither
You design a Rakdos card with wither

RULES
1. You get to submit ONE design.
2. You can change your design any time before the deadline is up.
3. The deadline is two days.       
4. The card can't use any other non-evergreen mechanics. This is an alternate reality RTR, not Time Spiral.
5. The card can't use blue, green, or white.
6. The card should *feel* Rakdos. This is a circus of lunatic cultists. Make me feeeeeel it through designs.

At the end of two days we'll begin the voting process.
You'll get the chance to vote, but so will I, as a JUDGE.
And as a JUDGE, I'll be voting based on innovation and flavor.

Good luck!  
Big Tent Juggler

Creature-Giant Rogue
Wither
, sacrifice a creature: Big Tent Juggler deals damage equal to the sacrificed creature's power to target creature or player.
Those who survive the experience say it's the best show on all of Ravnica.
6/6   

Incedentally, I was saving this contest for last because I wrote a story about the card I designed.
You can read it here: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
I'd love to know what you think!
Scar Mistress -
Creature - Human Wizard
Wither
~ gets +1/+1 for each -1/-1 counter on the battlefield.
, : ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
3/3

Edit: >.> Rakdos has no vampires??? 
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Woundsalter 
Creature - Human Shaman
Wither
Creatures get -1/-1 for each -1/-1 counter on them.
1/3

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
Blight Juggler -
Creature - Zombie Rogue
: Blight Juggler gains wither until end of turn. Any player may activate this ability.
Whenever Blight Juggler becomes target of a spell or ability, it deals one damage to each of two random creatures.
Never distract someone that's juggling infested rat cadavers.
2/2

, sacrifice a creature: Big Tent Juggler deals damage equal to the sacrificed creature's to target creature or player.    

Equal to the sacrificed creature's ~power~ to target creature or player.
That was a very entertaining read. You captured the lunacy of the Rakdos perfectly. Well done.

My entry:

Rakdos Jester ()
Creature- Human Rogue
Wither
~ can't be blocked except by two or more creatures.
2/1
The Jesters cavort around like madmen, swinging wildly through the crowds. Bystanders cheering them on, even as they become the victims.
Rakdos Prostitute
Creature - Human Rogue

: Rakdos Prostitute has wither until EOT.
: Rakdos Prostitute has deathtouch until EOT.

"Pain or pleasure?"

2/2 
Needs a p/t, Esterdi
Rakdos Mace

Artifact - Equipment

Equipped creature has wither.
Whenever a creature you control becomes blocked, attach ~ to a blocked creature you control at random.
Equip

"Have you ever played Cups and Balls with the toy prizes? Well, it's like that except one of us has a mace and the prize is your head..."
Did you really design a prostitute that infects other creatures? ô.Ô
Needs a p/t, Esterdi

Thanks, I'm so airheaded.

@cats: Yes. 
Did you really design a prostitute that infects other creatures? ô.Ô

That's... kind of remarkable in a repulsive kind of way.
It's oozing with flavor. And sept.
Ewwwww...

Real talk, though; wither and deathtouch seems largely reduandant in all but the corneriest of cases (ex; indestructible).

Not when they're costed differently (different color mana too). Also, persist tech.
Sadomancer

Creature--Human Wizard

Wither

: Sadomancer deals 1 damage to target creature or player. 1/1

To the Selesnya, ignorance is enlightenment. To the Rakdos, pain is pleasure.

Okay, I won't win any points for originality, but it's a nice riff on Tim.

I can't decide if prostitutes would be Rakdos or Orzhov. I mean, obviously not Orzhov leaders, but the Orzhov do have slaves, and...do I have to spell it out?

Rakdos would just try to convince people the women were "liberated" or something.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Tosser Fiend 
Creature — Devil
Wither
Tosser Fiend attacks each turn if able.
Whenever Tosser Fiend deals combat damage to a player, that player gains control of Tosser Fiend.
When Tosser Fiend dies, it deals 2 damage to each creature you don't control.
Rakdos games always have extravagant prizes that are never claimed.
2/1

<strong>Ragamuffyn Choir 
Creature —  Zombie Cleric
Other sources deal damage to Ragamuffyn Choir as though they had wither.
At the beginning of your upkeep, discard your hand and draw a card for each -1/-1 counter on Ragamuffyn Choir.
They do not have the economic minds of Orzhov or the military precision of Boros, but the Rakdos have their own form of brutal efficiency that only comes from single-minded devotion to ecstasy.
6/6

Imagine three Ragamuffyn torsos tottering on the same legs, lip stitches torn open, as they sing disharmonies to the inferno around them.
Alternative flavor: It's a single giant ragamuffyn, and She wished for more mouths to scream with but not the lungs to provide the air.
Seems there's nothing creative to do with Wither, especially if Hellbent can't be used.  So I'm going to fall back on a traditional ability shared between red and black: torching lands

Torch the Crypt
Enchantment
Creatures you control get +1/-1 and have wither
Remove five -1/-1 counters from creatures you don't control: Destroy target land
I can't decide if prostitutes would be Rakdos or Orzhov. I mean, obviously not Orzhov leaders, but the Orzhov do have slaves, and...do I have to spell it out?

Rakdos would just try to convince people the women were "liberated" or something.

Both, probably. Orzhov are probably high-class prostitutes, while the Rakdos are for when you want to get freaky.

Edit: While I'm here, I might as well make a card.

Rakdos Knife-nut

Creature - Human Berserker
Haste, Wither
Whenever ~ attacks, it deals 1 damage to target creature you control.
3/3
He's amused by blood, but doesn't care whose. 

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

Both, probably. Orzhov are probably high-class prostitutes, while the Rakdos are for when you want to get freaky.

Alternatively, slaves, working off debts.

Also, Orzhov angels are programmed to follow the commands of their masters.
All of them.
Let that sink in for a bit.   
I thought the Orzhov Guild was a parody of the Catholic Church/the Illuminati...

Well, I guess some of the Medieval and Renaissance bishps and popes took mistress
Massacre Girl -- :RM::BM:
Legendary Creature - Human Assassin (MR)

First strike, wither
:T:: Massacre Girl deals 1 damage to each creature and each player. Shuffle Massacre Girl into it's owners library.

Never able to be found, her message was quite clear.
2 / 1

Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Bloody Psychonaut |
Creature - Human Berserker
Wither
Whenever damage is dealt to a creature or player, ~ gets +2/+0 and First Strike until end of turn.
"The knife is a simple concept, really -- just lots of stabbing and blood!"
- Rakdos Ringleader to Izzet Tinker
1/1
Puresteel players unite! [Archetype] PURESTEEL

The only guild confirmed to have vampires are the dimir.

The only guild confirmed to have vampires are the dimir.

Pfft, they ought to have them, think vamps would fit nicely within Rakdos.
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Rakdos is about "all-in"; hellbent and unleash are great depictions of that. Wither... ain't. Wither is so grindy in comparison. I'm surprised MaRo chose it as his "filler" mechanic for the guild. Anyway, how do we make wither more about the short-term and less about the long-run?

Rakdos Scarbarrow
Creature - Horror
Wither
, Remove a -1/-1 counter from a creature you control: Rakdos Scarbarrow gets -1/-1 until end of turn. Only your opponents may activate this ability.
Burden is burden; no man can say whose shoulders bear the greater.
3/3 
Rakdos Juggler -
Creature - Devil
Wither
:tm:: Rakdos Juggler deals 1 damage to target creature.
"For this next feat, we will need a helping hand . . . preferrably one that's already severed." - Rakdos Ringleader
1/1
Tried making a poll, failed miserably.

ENTRY PERIOD IS OVER

Rules for voting
1. You have 2 days
2. You get 1 vote, but you can change it before the deadline is up
3. You dont have to have entered to vote

You are encouraged to critique the entries.

Test

community.wizards.com/hairlessthoctar/bl...

Consarnit, how does this crap work.
Between votes, do we need to unvot... sorry wrong thread 8^p

Gradz:

HairlessThoctar:

Big Tent Juggler

Creature-Giant Rogue
Wither
, sacrifice a creature: Big Tent Juggler deals damage equal to the sacrificed creature's power to target creature or player.
6/6   

ConfusedAsUsual:

Scar Mistress -
Creature - Human Wizard
Wither
~ gets +1/+1 for each -1/-1 counter on the battlefield.
, : ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
3/3

Catotheyounger:

Woundsalter 
Creature - Human Shaman
Wither
Creatures get -1/-1 for each -1/-1 counter on them.
1/3

cats_and_me:

Blight Juggler -
Creature - Zombie Rogue
: Blight Juggler gains wither until end of turn. Any player may activate this ability.
Whenever Blight Juggler becomes target of a spell or ability, it deals one damage to each of two random creatures.
2/2

Ulcaster:

Rakdos Jester ()
Creature- Human Rogue
Wither
~ can't be blocked except by two or more creatures.
2/1
The Jesters cavort around like madmen, swinging wildly through the crowds. Bystanders cheering them on, even as they become the victims.

Esterdi:

Rakdos Prostitute
Creature - Human Rogue

: Rakdos Prostitute has wither until EOT.
: Rakdos Prostitute has deathtouch until EOT.

"Pain or pleasure?"

2/2 

vlord:

Rakdos Mace

Artifact - Equipment

Equipped creature has wither.
Whenever a creature you control becomes blocked, attach ~ to a blocked creature you control at random.
Equip

"Have you ever played Cups and Balls with the toy prizes? Well, it's like that except one of us has a mace and the prize is your head..."

Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
I vote for Catotheyounger's Woundsalter. Balanced, hoses Persist, and really flavorful. Also, acts as sort of an anti-lord in the right deck. 
Even though Rush_Clasic "only" designed a Leech Bonder variant and Dream_Spinner "only" designed one of Witherscale Wurm, they're probably different enough to be innovative.. I'll vote for Dream_Spinner! ^.^
My vote here:
Blight Juggler -
Creature - Zombie Rogue
2/2

I'll vote for HairlessThoctar. This kind of reminds me of Brion Stoutarm, or maybe a balanced titan. The story behind the card definitely added to it as well.

Big Tent Juggler

Creature-Giant Rogue
Wither
6/6

First off, wither wasn't the best of choices.  All that could be done with wither has already been done; then it was done again with infect.   I admit that of the ten cards I've created (yes, I have cards readied for the remaining five contests), this is probably my worst, and that's counting the "gem" I created for Orzhov. 

But, I have a mind in the gutter.  Ergo, my vote is for Esterdi's harlot.
(yes, I have cards readied for the remaining five contests),

That's, Wow, I'm flattered.

So, I didn't grade yet, but I think Ulcaster's Rakdos Jester is spot on with a Rakdos with Wither. I approve!

Vote: Ulcaster

Other contenders were HairlessThoctar, catotheyounger 
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
My vote goes to the person who best found a way to capture the all-in nature of Rakdos in a very not all-in mechanic of wither.

Yxoque made a neat little beater. cats_and_me almost had it. But Dream Spinner had quite the nasty beast to show, and thus gets my vote.
While all-inedness is admirable, I think what MaRo was going for when he said wither was the idea that the Rakdos weaponize pain in a very visceral way. At their worst, they're sadomasochistic loonies, and Wither can play off of that very well.

The all-in philosophy works, but it is only one facet to the Rakdos, and I feel that there are others worth exploring.
I will admit the wither on my design has almost no flavor to it, but I felt that the mechanics played into the top-down flavor of a juggler quite well, for example.
I voted in the poll, but just in case, I'll put it here as well. I'm going to vote Ulcaster. It's simple and elegant and I think it's definitely printable.

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

VOTING PERIOD IS OVER
Sign In to post comments