Cloning another creature

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
If Clone enters the battlefield as a copy of Sunblast Angel does he destroy all tapped creatures?
Yes. When something enters the battlefield, first replacement effects like the one that makes Clone enter as a copy of something else are dealt with, then you check to see if that event triggers anything. So by the time it matters, the Clone does have the Angel's triggered ability.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Thank you. Another scenario:

If Clone enters as Kazandu Tuskcaller when it is on level 5:

1) Does Clone enter the battlefield on level 5 or he has to start on level 0?

2) In either case, if I don't own any forrest does it mean I cannot have Clone go up to level 6?
Clone would not copy any counters or anything like that, only the underlying card, so it would start with no level counters.

It makes no difference what you own, however, if you control no means of generating green mana (Forests would be the obvious one, but by no means the only possibility), you would not be able to play the level up ability and would thus have no means of adding level counters to the Tuskcaller.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Thank you. Another scenario:

If Clone enters as Kazandu Tuskcaller when it is on level 5:

1) Does Clone enter the battlefield on level 5 or he has to start on level 0?

There is no reason for the new creature to have level counters on it.  Therefore, it has none.
706.2. When copying an object, the copy acquires the copiable values of the original object's characteristics and, for an object on the stack, choices made when casting or activating it (mode, targets, the value of X, whether it was kicked, how it will affect multiple targets, and so on). The "copiable values" are the values derived from the text printed on the object (that text being name, mana cost, color indicator, card type, subtype, supertype, expansion symbol, rules text, power, toughness, and/or loyalty), as modified by other copy effects, by "as . . . enters the battlefield" and "as . . . is turned face up" abilities that set characteristics, and by abilities that caused the object to be face down. Other effects (including type-changing and text-changing effects), status, and counters are not copied.

2) In either case, if I don't own any forrest [sic] does it mean I cannot have Clone go up to level 6?

I see no reference to ownership or Forests in that level up ability.  Of course, without access to green mana (), that ability will be difficult to activate.
No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.