Hexes and Reflects

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Protection from Hexes
Instant
Target player gains Hexproof until end of turn.
You gain 1 life.

Reflection Aura
Enchantment
Enchant Permanent
As ~ enters play, turn it face down, it is an Enchantment with "Enchant Permanent", draw a card.
Enchanted Permanent has "When this creature is targeted, you may turn this card face up and choose new targets for the targeting spell.".
"Silvery it glowed magnificently, to see it, you would mostly see youself."
I don't understand the point of flipping the Aura over like that. Wouldn't this be a better template?:

Reflection Aura
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant permanent
When ~ enters the battlefield, draw a card.
When enchanted permanent is targeted by a spell or ability, you may destroy ~ . If you do, choose new targets for the spell or ability targeting enchanted permanent.
"Silvery it glowed magnificently, to see it, you would mostly see youself."

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

I didn't intend spells targeting this to destroy it.

The idea is that you can attach this to reflect spells that would otherwise hit your enchanted creature back at their casters, or there casters creatures instead.

Starting face down is because I want it to be a suprise, a sort of trap. Ofc they could have a good idea of what happening, but I still like the idea.

The idea is that you can attach this to reflect spells that would otherwise hit your enchanted creature back at their casters, or there casters creatures instead.

Starting face down is because I want it to be a suprise, a sort of trap. Ofc they could have a good idea of what happening, but I still like the idea.

If it's not destroyed, and it's turned face up, it's just as useless...

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

Your original design essentially "destroys" it by turning it face up, because once it's turned face up it can't be used again.  Removing it from the battlefield when it's no longer useful just helps keep things tidy.

The current template doesn't work for several reasons.  Face down permanents don't have any abilities other than the ones given to them by the effect that turned them face down.  So the entire ability it gives to the permanent is nonexistent until it's turned face up, including the triggered ability.  I'm not even sure how the rulings work, since nothing except Morph has ever used this design space.  Triggered abilities can never trigger from a hidden zone, so that's not going to work...  But the biggest problem is that you still have to cast the Aura normally, and have it enter the battlefield face up, in plain view of all players, and only THEN does it get turned face down.  By then, everyone already knows exactly what the card is, so there's no element of surprise at all.

One possible way to fix this is to create a Morph-like ability that allows you to play the card face down as an Aura for a fixed cost, and then give the player the ability to end the face-down effect for an additional cost.  You could then have an ability that says "When (this card) is turned face up, you may change the target of target spell that targets enchanted creature".  (Also, that ability should be Blue or Red, not White.  White can protect creatures, but only Blue or Red get to meddle with spell targets and turn them against their controllers.)

I think there are some gameplay issues with such an ability, such as the fact that you'd need a wide variety of Auras with that ability, so your opponents can't easily guess which card you just played.  And the fact that the face-down "morphed" Aura really needs to do something interesting by itself rather than just being a down-payment, otherwise you lose Morph's best feature: the ability to realistically bluff something you don't actually have.  But those could all be smoothed out.

The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Thanks for all the info

Can you have a go at designing it, how it would look if you made a similar card.
Hmm, something like...

Reflection Aura
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has hexproof.
Auramorph (You may cast this face down as an Aura enchantment with "Enchant creature" and "Enchanted creature gets +2/+2" for . Turn it face up any time for its Auramorph cost)
When Reflection Aura is turned face up, you may change the targets of target spell that targets enchanted creature.

Still not sure if it's a good idea or not.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Protection from hexes is fine, and is probably underpowered.

It should only cost 1. And you should gain 3 life from it. Or draw a card. 
I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)
That rocks Fallingman

If it cost and let you draw a card HonorBasquiat, it might greatly own burn decks. While I don't feel much is unfair agaisn't a strategy that creates short games and ignores combat interaction, that could be going a bit far.
Sign In to post comments